3 issues on thinkpad t400

Hi guys,

i am a fun of and running opensuse 12.2 32bit on a thinkpad T400. it has dedicated volume buttons close to the keyboard. when i first installed, right at the top of my screen, there was an audio application which after awhile disappeared. so i am unable to use the keys… secondly, my internal video device (camera) works well during daylight but doesnt work in the night… thirdly, my internal mic doesnt work either.

Please help me resolve these issues.

thank you

denis

I googled it and it looks much like my R61
The specs are way better though

Are you using kde or gnome?

I had a look in my kde settings for the keyboard and T400 is not listed but my R61 is. Try selecting the Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad R60/T60/R61/T61

hey, i am using gnome… when i do a dmesg | less, i can see the mic, camera loaded but i go to applications, sound has no device for sound output. is there something i am missing

Go to Yast > Hardware >Sound
See if you can configure it from there

Reboot

Also check mixer volume on from the panel

This is what i have in yast-sound

0 82801I(ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

• configured as sound card number 0
  • driver snd-hda-intel

could there anything that i dont know of

That info provides a starting point. Have a look at this Multimedia subforum sticky information. It will tell you how to collect and present further tech detail needed to identify the problem. There is also a link there to a Wiki guide on Audio Troubleshooting in openSUSE.

What is it showing in Gnome’s System Settings > Sound? You can also test speakers under Hardware tab.

Also check under YaST > Hardware > Sound > Other, for volumes, play test sound, and whether PulseAudio is enabled?

this is what i have in yast-sound

0 82801I(ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

• configured as sound card number 0
  • driver snd-hda-intel

I know, you posted that before.

What about Gnome’s system settings for sound? Click on your user name at top-right corner of desktop to see it in drop-down menu.

I also asked you to check out “Other” menu in YaST > Hardware > Sound (bottom-right of that screen you posted the info from). What did you find out?

At Gnome’s system settings; theres no sound device and where is says “choose a device for sound output”; theres nothing and its all grayed out. all parts are inselectable.

Other–> Volume, mic, speaker, mic boost etc are all at 100

play test sound; i hear the sound

start sequencer, i click ok but nothing happens

set as primary card; its ok

pulseaudio configuration is enabled

Is that what you wanted to know?

anything else???

will this help? a summary of my system
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=b2a5472ad6857fefafce2db47a1ae7bd53ed3079

That’s the problem. It means the DE (gnome) and/or the sound server (PulseAudio) is not aware of the sound device and its configuration.

Other–> Volume, mic, speaker, mic boost etc are all at 100

play test sound; i hear the sound

Good. The sound chip works, and also the basic sound driver module snd-hda-intel (provided by ALSA). BTW, I have the same audio device and driver.

start sequencer, i click ok but nothing happens

Doesn’t matter, since most laptop audio chips don’t have one, and the function will be done by software.

pulseaudio configuration is enabled

That’s good, and it should be enabled by default. But it’s not working!

One thing to try next. Check if the package “pavucontrol” is installed (terminal command: zypper se pavucontrol, or use YaST). If not, install it and run it. You can go through it’s settings to see if it enables your device. It’s a fully-featured PulseAudio Volume controller. It has mysteriously helped a few users in your situation, where Gnome or KDE hasn’t enabled sound properly.

Let us know how you get on with that. :slight_smile:

i did run this and it fixed the issue /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start

second issue, my internal camera runs well during day time but blacks out during night time… what could be the issue

anyways thank you guys for your help

My suggestion is to open a new thread for the issue … persons interested in webcams, and whom might be able to help you, might not think to or be interested in checking out a thread simply entitled along the likes of “thinkpad t400 issues” lol!

And then, if you have a solution, you could come back to this thread (for the benefit of other t400 users) and say “found a solution [link to other thread] for this problem”

I’d also suggest that (in your, currently theoretical, new, and well titled in relation to the problem, thread) you provide as descriptive info as possible, such as:

• OS info
  • desktop info
  • model type (“lsusb -v”),
  • driver (if you know, if not, the appropriate type should be able to be gleaned from the USB subystem ID given by the former cmd)
  • what “runs well during day time but blacks out during night time” means … its pretty vague … you haven’t described the ambient conditions, what apps you are using etc etc etc.

I suspect that’s what running pavucontrol does, if P/A is inactive. You shouldn’t need it anyway, and it’s not installed here.

second issue, my internal camera runs well during day time but blacks out during night time… what could be the issue

Dare I say throw some more light at it during night time! :slight_smile:

However, starting a new thread for the camera issue and mentioning it in the title will give it a better chance of being picked up.

Yes it was good to provide that since it showed up the issue, but it takes time to go through the detail carefully. I see the report contained this:

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

Pulseaudio:
      Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
      Running - No

That confirms it, and also pulseaudio is missing from the long list of “All Loaded Modules”, towards the end of the report.