Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiling wine

Default Compiling wine

okay after a multitude of tries I cannot get wine compholio to work properly under openSUSE even with using alien.
    So its time to compile this and possibly host my compiled versions here, but how do I compile wine under opensuse.
    I want to use the netflix workaround, and the native wine doesdnt cover that.
    The only package that is a rpm is an outdated verison and again under alien it simply wont work.
    so I want to compile wine, such a pain but maybe I can help others who want netflix on linux to work by doing this.
    Instructions are needed please.

Default Re: Compiling wine

We don't know your experience with compiling, or the openSUSE environment, so you may get a range of answers, but this may be of help to start with

https://en.opensuse.org/Wine#Source

I have very little compiling experience, as in next to nil.
    Also is there a metapackage or something for all this?
    That page you linked suggests a **** load of things it wants.

Yes, compiling is not a trivial exercise.

I know a little about netflix (it's not available in NZ), but in an effort to assist you, I installed the 'netflix-desktop' RPM from here:

netflix-desktop-0.2.1-4.noarch RPM

One has to take care with installing packages that are not openSUSE-specific, but in this case all should be ok. (I had a quick look at the files contained). It mentions

Netflix Desktop provides a convient tool that downloads and installs all of the components necessary to run Netflix Watch Instantly under Wine, including the Windows version of Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Silverlight v4. This package also includes some convience settings to integrate Netflix into Firefox in such a way that everything feels like a native Ubuntu application.
    Let your package manager install it. It did complain about the ttmkfdir (package containing TrueType font utility) being missing, but I ignored that dependency and proceeded with installing netflix-desktop. Then, from a terminal window, I launched it with
    Code:
    netflix-desktop
    During the installation, several items were installed automatically, including mono. When completed, the widows 'firefox' launched with the netflix page displayed. Of course, I get '
    Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet.'

I hope this works for you.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 22-Dec-2012 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    okay after a multitude of tries I cannot get wine compholio to work properly under openSUSE even with using alien.
    So its time to compile this and possibly host my compiled versions here, but how do I compile wine under opensuse.
    I want to use the netflix workaround, and the native wine doesdnt cover that.
    The only package that is a rpm is an outdated verison and again under alien it simply wont work.
    so I want to compile wine, such a pain but maybe I can help others who want netflix on linux to work by doing this.
    Instructions are needed please.
    To compile wine from source you need to download the latest wine version and then run the following commands:
    - open the terminal and unzip the archive running tar xvf archive.bz2
    - navigate to the folder created after the unzip
    - run ./configure - i suggest you have yast software management opened to install ALL the missing packages that i needs including the devel packages . Run ./configure until no errors about missing libraries appear
    - if all is ok with ./configure run make and you wait until the program gets compiled somewhere between 30-45 minutes more or less, that depends upon your PC`s configuration
    - to install wine after is compiled run make install . After wine gets installed DONT DELETE THE FOLDER, keep it close you never know when you need to uninstall in order to upgrade to a newer version
    - to uninstall wine just run make uninstall inside the same folder where you compiled the program in the first place
    openSUSE Community Member: -> en.opensuse.org/User:Creatura85
    Connect Profile:
    -> connect.opensuse.org/pg/profile/creatura85
    openSUSE Romania Member: -> suseromania.ro

Yes but there are a lot of pagages I need I see, I am using 64bit opensuse 12.2

Your choice: Make the effort to install what is required and compile, or you could try the RPM I linked to, and use that approach instead. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by creatura85 View Post
    To compile wine from source you need to download the latest wine version and then run the following commands:
    - open the terminal and unzip the archive running tar xvf archive.bz2
    - navigate to the folder created after the unzip
    - run ./configure - i suggest you have yast software management opened to install ALL the missing packages that i needs including the devel packages . Run ./configure until no errors about missing libraries appear
    - if all is ok with ./configure run make and you wait until the program gets compiled somewhere between 30-45 minutes more or less, that depends upon your PC`s configuration
    - to install wine after is compiled run make install . After wine gets installed DONT DELETE THE FOLDER, keep it close you never know when you need to uninstall in order to upgrade to a newer version
    - to uninstall wine just run make uninstall inside the same folder where you compiled the program in the first place
    Having compiled and installed several of the wine-compholio packages myself, I will add the following:

1. Use the process described above, but you need to issue the commands make install and make uninstall as root.
    2. Whatever packages that ./configure says are missing are the "xxx-devel-32bit" ones. I found it helpful open yast Software Management and search for "devel-32bit" and then select those listed at the end of the ./configure process. Many of these can be ignored, however. When I compiled it, ./configure continued to report the following missing packages and it compiled and worked fine:
    Code:
    configure: OpenCL 32-bit development files not found, OpenCL won't be supported.
    configure: libdbus 32-bit development files not found, no dynamic device support.
    configure: libgnutls 32-bit development files not found, no schannel support.
    configure: libsane 32-bit development files not found, scanners won't be supported.
    configure: libv4l 32-bit development files not found.
    configure: libgphoto2 32-bit development files not found, digital cameras won't be supported.
    configure: liblcms 32-bit development files not found, Color Management won't be supported.
    configure: gstreamer-0.10 base plugins 32-bit development files not found, gstreamer support disabled
    configure: OSS sound system found but too old (OSSv4 needed), OSS won't be supported.
    configure: libcapi20 32-bit development files not found, ISDN won't be supported.
    configure: libcups 32-bit development files not found, CUPS won't be supported.
    configure: libgsm 32-bit development files not found, gsm 06.10 codec won't be supported.
    configure: libmpg123 32-bit development files not found (or too old), mp3 codec won't be supported.
    configure: libopenal 32-bit development files not found (or too old), OpenAL won't be supported.
    Anything other than these I would go ahead and install.

Well I still may want to compile you see.
    I did figure out installing the base development pattern via yast though, and it seemed to install a lot except one thing, here is the error I get:

X 32-bit development files not found. Wine will be built
    without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
    to install 32-bit development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.
    Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

I cant seem to get past this part, so what do I need to install?

On 2012-12-23 15:46, MadmanRB wrote:
    > I cant seem to get past this part, so what do I need to install?

It is telling you. The X 32 bit -devel packages.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast