Unable to find any workgroups in your LAN...

Currently a Win XP user, this is my first venture into the Linux world with OpenSuse.
Have installed on Virtual Box the openSUSE-12.2-KDE-LiveCD-i686.iso.
Not being a fan of Outlook I use OE6 & Lotus Organizer in Windows but am looking for an integrated PIM in Linux. Several reports recommend Kontact.
In Kontact, I select Calendar & when click on Import Calendar, select Network then Samba Shares, I get the error; Unable to find…This may be caused by an enabled firewall. What is the fix for this and how do I set up Samba correctly?

Welcome here vieuxrichard and good luck with openSUSE.

Open the firewall for samba. GoTo Yast → security/users → firewall → allowed services. Add Netbios server, samba server and Samba client to the list of allowed services.

Check that you have the same “workgroup” name as your windows box/es. The windows workgroup name is at: R-click the “My Computer” icon select Properties → Computer Name → Workgroup = “whatever”. In OpenSUSE the line “workgroup = whatever” is located in the file smb.conf in the directory /etc/samba. Check the name there. Make the machines have the same name for workgroup.

Finally, check that samba is turned on. GoTo yast → System → services runlevels → scroll down and make sure nmb and smb are “enabled” (marked “yes”)

Thanks swerdna for the reply. Sadly I was unable to fully follow your guidance, as I found that neither Netbios server nor samba server nor client were available. I guessed this meant that they were not uninstalled so I searched around a bit a more and found this very helpful website:How To Network openSUSE 12.1 And Windows » TweakHound

which, having followed the very clear instructions, basically got me back to your Allowed Services in Yast.

So I went back in to Kontact & did another Import Calendar request, then Network & Samba Shares. The workgroup name showed up & then the Netbios name. The next screen showed; groups/profiles/users - so I chose users. At the 1st attempt there was a message: Please enter authentificate information for: Server = asusShare = users, and it asked for a USER ID & password. I tried a couple but it did not work (which ID & PW is it looking for?).
The 2nd & 3rd attempts resulted simply in the message; Access denied to smb://asus/users.

As an aside I also tried to set up a printer (as per rest of article) but failed miserably. Also openSUSE could not find a driver for a Canon LBP5000, so I chose a generic postcript.

On 12/14/2012 1:26 PM, vieuxrichard wrote:
>
> Thanks swerdna for the reply. Sadly I was unable to fully follow your
> guidance, as I found that neither Netbios server nor samba server nor
> client were available. I guessed this meant that they were not
> uninstalled so I searched around a bit a more and found this very
> helpful website:‘How To Network openSUSE 12.1 And Windows » TweakHound’
> (http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/11/21/3500/)
>
> which, having followed the very clear instructions, basically got me
> back to your Allowed Services in Yast.
>
> So I went back in to Kontact & did another Import Calendar request,
> then Network & Samba Shares. The workgroup name showed up & then the
> Netbios name. The next screen showed; groups/profiles/users - so I chose
> users. At the 1st attempt there was a message: Please enter
> authentificate information for: Server = asusShare = users
, and it
> asked for a USER ID & password. I tried a couple but it did not work
> (which ID & PW is it looking for?).
> The 2nd & 3rd attempts resulted simply in the message; Access denied
> to smb://asus/users
>
> As an aside I also tried to set up a printer (as per rest of article)
> but failed miserably. Also openSUSE could not find a driver for a Canon
> LBP5000, so I chose a generic postcript.
>

vieuxrichard;

The user name and password should be that of your Windows user. Since generally
Windows allows guest access, you can try the username guest and a blank
password. If you are still having problems please post the contents of the
[global] contents of your /etc/samba/smb.conf.

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

If you have any pubic IPs or other confidential information you can use
substitute values.

P.V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you” Red Green

This group of shares that you quoted: “groups/profiles/users”, is formed from the default shares that come with openSUSE. Here are the stanzas in the config file smb.conf that generate them:

[groups]
	comment = All groups
	path = /home/groups
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
	comment = Network Profiles Service
	path = %H
	read only = No
	store dos attributes = Yes
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
[users]
	comment = All users
	path = /home
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

The first one [profiles] won’t work because there is no directory /home/groups. It is a train wreck left there by the openSUSE devs for an unknown reason. It requires username/password access/authentication.
The second one [profiles] is setup for attaching in a fashion similar to a windows roaming which is maybe not useful for you in this “workgroup” scenario. It too requires username/password access/authentication.
The third one [users] shares the whole of the home directories and it too requires username/password access/authentication.

So it is no wonder that wandering into that network scene brings on a demand for usernames and password.

Probably the best thing would be for you to tell us what you really need in terms of network shares in the openSUSE operating system and to show us the contents of the config file smb.conf – and then we could better advise you.

To create the recommended smb.conf file for use with Samba, have a look at this bash script: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/swat-samba-web-administration-tool-setup-creation-script-1-03-105/

Thank You,

Thanks for responses. djdmcdaniel3 - I don’t think I’m quite up to copying bash scripts at this stage of my Linux learning.

venzkep - I tried my Windows login ID & password + guest & blank as you suggested but no go I’m afraid.

swerdna - not sure about your comment. I haven’t “wandered into” any network scene. All I have done is use the options available in Kontact to Import a Calendar. To answer your second point, all I want to achieve is import .ics files that I export from Lotus Organizer.

The make-swat script can be downloaded and run by copying the following line, open up a terminal session, paste it in and then press enter. Your existing smb.conf file will be renamed for you if it exists.

rm ~/bin/make-swat ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/98572736 -O ~/bin/make-swat ; chmod +x ~/bin/make-swat ;  make-swat

In order to edit the smb.conf, besides using SWAT, you can use the following script called sysedit. Again, copy the following line, open up terminal, paste it in and press enter.

rm ~/bin/sysedit ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/66173377 -O ~/bin/sysedit ; chmod +x ~/bin/sysedit ; sysedit

I am not sure how I could make it more simple.

Thank You,

I have managed to paste in themake-swat script and received confirmation that the “Installation of the SWAT configuration files is now complete”.Not sure what that has achieved as now when I launch Kontact & import an .ics file I get the same stuff groups/profiles/users (see earlier comments).Now faced with the request to input a Username & password but as stated previously - all known IDs & passwords fail.

You should now have a SWAT icon you can run to configure how Samba works. Or, using the sysedit script, direct edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, seeing if the suggested settings, as made above are met. Further, I suggest you may need to do more reading on just how Samba is working. When you elect to share your /home area, you are going to need to be the same user logging into it. Else, share something that everyone can use. I have some examples of that here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/samba-swat-samba-web-administration-tool-setup-opensuse-76/

For all things Samba, have a look at this link: openSUSE SuSE Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials by Swerdna

Thank You,

Thank you for the links. Going back to your request for the contents of the smb.conf, here it is; hope you can shed some light on where I go from here, as I am getting very confused:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2012-08-08

[global]
    workgroup = Prades
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P:
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain logons = No
    domain master = No
    netbios name = Asus
    security = user
    usershare max shares = 100
    wins support = No
    wins server = 

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    browseable = No
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

## Share disabled by YaST
# [netlogon]

I decided to edit your message and place the smb.conf text in a code block and added a blank line between each stanza and it is much more readable now. Please tell me in simple language, how many computers are networked and what do you want to share between each PC and include a folder path with each share so I may compare it to your smb.conf file.

Thank You,

All I can tell you is the following; I have set up one workgroup Prades that runs 2 computers: 192.168.1.67 & 192.168.1.64.

The router is the Technicolor TG788 (192.168.1.254) that both computers use to connect to the Internet. I can ping all the IP addresses including 192.168.1.253

OK, two computers. Thats good to know. Are both computers running openSUSE & Samba in the same configuration? Are there two different or more users (how many different users) on these two PC and are they the same or not. For instance, I have Two PC running openSUSE. I setup the same user on both with the same name and password and the same ID, which makes sharing user files work OK.

Thank You,

On 12/18/2012 5:16 PM, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
>
<snip>
>
> OK, two computers. Thats good to know. Are both computers running
> openSUSE & Samba in the same configuration? Are there two different or
> more users (how many different users) on these two PC and are they the
> same or not. For instance, I have Two PC running openSUSE. I setup the
> same user on both with the same name and password and the same ID, which
> makes sharing user files work OK.
>
> Thank You,
>
>
Just a point of clarification. When sharing files via Samba it is easiest when
users on both systems have the same name. The UID is not important. The
password used to access Samba shares is the password set by “smbpasswd” not the
logon password. Unless you use LDAP for a backend, the username for Samba must
be the same as that of a Linux user, on the same system. But the samba password
need not be the same as that used to logon.

P.V.

On 12/17/2012 12:26 PM, vieuxrichard wrote:
>
> Thank you for the links. Going back to your request for the contents of
> the smb.conf, here it is; hope you can shed some light on where I go
> from here, as I am getting very confused:
>
> ;# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full
> commented
> # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if
> the
> # samba-doc package is installed.
> # Date: 2012-08-08
> [global]
> workgroup = Prades
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> printing = cups
> printcap name = cups
> printcap cache time = 750
> cups options = raw
> map to guest = Bad User
> include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
> logon path = \%L\profiles.msprofile
> logon home = \%L%U.9xprofile
> logon drive = P:
> usershare allow guests = Yes
> add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d
> /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
> domain logons = No
> domain master = No
> netbios name = Asus
> security = user
> usershare max shares = 100
> wins support = No
> wins server =

<snip>

vieuxrichard;

After rereading this thread, it looks to me like you are only seeing the shares
on the local machine. To see other machines by name add the following parameter
to the [global] section of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

In addition make sure nmb (nmbd) and smb (smbd) are both set to start on boot
and also allowed through the firewall.

YaST > System > System Services (Runlevel). Be sure smb and nmb are both enabled.
YaST > Security and Users > Firewall > Allowed Services. Be sure Netbios
Server, Samba Client & Samba Server are all allowed services.

P.V.

Have deleted & reinstalled opensuse 12.2 in VM VB. Followed the online help files to get Samba Shares installed/working : How To Network openSUSE 12.1 And Windows » TweakHound

Also Item 12. of the Unofficial Guide to openSUSE 12.2 (MS Windows interop) which now means that when I type smb://192.168.1.64 not only can I see the Windows share folders but I can actually OPEN THEM!

Now when I go to launch Kontact i get the error “the akonadi personal information management service is not operational” but I will perhaps raise this in another forum.

Thanks to everyone for getting me through this.

BTW when I go to Samba Shares and the Workgroup (Prades) and the Netbios name (ASUS), it still only shows groups/profiles/users. So I guess Samba Shares doesn’t work. Does this matter?

looks like the end of the road for me and opensuse. As I mentioned at the start of this post, I need to use Kontact to import entries from a Windows share folder.
Sadly Samba Shares appears unconfigurable to allow me to do this as I hit the wall with this confounded problem of only seeing local folders.
Frustrating for everyone but nobody has endless patience and I appreciate all the help I have received on this forum.

Revert to Plan B now.

Looks as though I was a little presumptuous because I have finally worked out how to do it.

Instead of trying to access the Windows shared date files through the workgroup, I type in the IP address of the computer smb:// xx.xx.xx.xx and I can see all the shared files and then import the .ics file I need.

Easy when you know how although this was probably the way I should have done it earlier. Still all good experience and Plan A lives on.