Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to find any workgroups in your LAN...

Default Unable to find any workgroups in your LAN...

Currently a Win XP user, this is my first venture into the Linux world with OpenSuse.
    Have installed on Virtual Box the openSUSE-12.2-KDE-LiveCD-i686.iso.
    Not being a fan of Outlook I use OE6 & Lotus Organizer in Windows but am looking for an integrated PIM in Linux. Several reports recommend Kontact.
    In Kontact, I select Calendar & when click on Import Calendar, select Network then Samba Shares, I get the error; Unable to find....This may be caused by an enabled firewall. What is the fix for this and how do I set up Samba correctly?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to find any workgroups in your LAN...

Welcome here vieuxrichard and good luck with openSUSE.

Open the firewall for samba. GoTo Yast --> security/users --> firewall --> allowed services. Add Netbios server, samba server and Samba client to the list of allowed services.

Check that you have the same "workgroup" name as your windows box/es. The windows workgroup name is at: R-click the "My Computer" icon select Properties --> Computer Name --> Workgroup = "whatever". In OpenSUSE the line "workgroup = whatever" is located in the file smb.conf in the directory /etc/samba. Check the name there. Make the machines have the same name for workgroup.

Finally, check that samba is turned on. GoTo yast --> System --> services runlevels --> scroll down and make sure nmb and smb are "enabled" (marked "yes")

Thanks swerdna for the reply. Sadly I was unable to fully follow your guidance, as I found that neither Netbios server nor samba server nor client were available. I guessed this meant that they were not uninstalled so I searched around a bit a more and found this very helpful website:How To Network openSUSE 12.1 And Windows » TweakHound

which, having followed the very clear instructions, basically got me back to your Allowed Services in Yast.

So I went back in to Kontact & did another Import Calendar request, then Network & Samba Shares. The workgroup name showed up & then the Netbios name. The next screen showed; groups/profiles/users - so I chose users. At the 1st attempt there was a message: Please enter authentificate information for: Server = asusShare = users, and it asked for a USER ID & password. I tried a couple but it did not work (which ID & PW is it looking for?).
    The 2nd & 3rd attempts resulted simply in the message; Access denied to smb://asus/users.

As an aside I also tried to set up a printer (as per rest of article) but failed miserably. Also openSUSE could not find a driver for a Canon LBP5000, so I chose a generic postcript.

On 12/14/2012 1:26 PM, vieuxrichard wrote:
    >
    > Thanks swerdna for the reply. Sadly I was unable to fully follow your
    > guidance, as I found that neither Netbios server nor samba server nor
    > client were available. I guessed this meant that they were not
    > uninstalled so I searched around a bit a more and found this very
    > helpful website:'How To Network openSUSE 12.1 And Windows » TweakHound'
    > (http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/11/21/3500/)
    >
    > which, having followed the very clear instructions, basically got me
    > back to your Allowed Services in Yast.
    >
    > So I went back in to Kontact & did another Import Calendar request,
    > then Network & Samba Shares. The workgroup name showed up & then the
    > Netbios name. The next screen showed; groups/profiles/users - so I chose
    > users. At the 1st attempt there was a message: *Please enter
    > authentificate information for: Server = asusShare = users*, and it
    > asked for a USER ID & password. I tried a couple but it did not work
    > (which ID & PW is it looking for?).
    > The 2nd & 3rd attempts resulted simply in the message; *Access denied
    > to smb://asus/users*.
    >
    > As an aside I also tried to set up a printer (as per rest of article)
    > but failed miserably. Also openSUSE could not find a driver for a Canon
    > LBP5000, so I chose a generic postcript.
    >

vieuxrichard;

The user name and password should be that of your Windows user. Since generally
    Windows allows guest access, you can try the username guest and a blank
    password. If you are still having problems please post the contents of the
    [global] contents of your /etc/samba/smb.conf.
    Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    If you have any pubic IPs or other confidential information you can use
    substitute values.

--
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green

Blog Entries

This group of shares that you quoted: "groups/profiles/users", is formed from the default shares that come with openSUSE. Here are the stanzas in the config file smb.conf that generate them:

Code:
    [groups]
    	comment = All groups
    	path = /home/groups
    	read only = No
    	inherit acls = Yes
    [profiles]
    	comment = Network Profiles Service
    	path = %H
    	read only = No
    	store dos attributes = Yes
    	create mask = 0600
    	directory mask = 0700
    [users]
    	comment = All users
    	path = /home
    	read only = No
    	inherit acls = Yes
    	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
    The first one [profiles] won't work because there is no directory /home/groups. It is a train wreck left there by the openSUSE devs for an unknown reason. It requires username/password access/authentication.
    The second one [profiles] is setup for attaching in a fashion similar to a windows roaming which is maybe not useful for you in this "workgroup" scenario. It too requires username/password access/authentication.
    The third one [users] shares the whole of the home directories and it too requires username/password access/authentication.

So it is no wonder that wandering into that network scene brings on a demand for usernames and password.

Probably the best thing would be for you to tell us what you really need in terms of network shares in the openSUSE operating system and to show us the contents of the config file smb.conf -- and then we could better advise you.
    Last edited by swerdna; 15-Dec-2012 at 02:17.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Unable to find any workgroups in your LAN...

Quote Originally Posted by vieuxrichard View Post
    Currently a Win XP user, this is my first venture into the Linux world with OpenSuse.
    Have installed on Virtual Box the openSUSE-12.2-KDE-LiveCD-i686.iso.
    Not being a fan of Outlook I use OE6 & Lotus Organizer in Windows but am looking for an integrated PIM in Linux. Several reports recommend Kontact.
    In Kontact, I select Calendar & when click on Import Calendar, select Network then Samba Shares, I get the error; Unable to find....This may be caused by an enabled firewall. What is the fix for this and how do I set up Samba correctly?
    To create the recommended smb.conf file for use with Samba, have a look at this bash script: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ript-1-03-105/

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Thanks for responses. djdmcdaniel3 - I don't think I'm quite up to copying bash scripts at this stage of my Linux learning.

venzkep - I tried my Windows login ID & password + guest & blank as you suggested but no go I'm afraid.

swerdna - not sure about your comment. I haven't "wandered into" any network scene. All I have done is use the options available in Kontact to Import a Calendar. To answer your second point, all I want to achieve is import .ics files that I export from Lotus Organizer.

Blog Entries

Thanks for responses. djdmcdaniel3 - I don't think I'm quite up to copying bash scripts at this stage of my Linux learning.

venzkep - I tried my Windows login ID & password + guest & blank as you suggested but no go I'm afraid.

swerdna - not sure about your comment. I haven't "wandered into" any network scene. All I have done is use the options available in Kontact to Import a Calendar. To answer your second point, all I want to achieve is import .ics files that I export from Lotus Organizer.
    The make-swat script can be downloaded and run by copying the following line, open up a terminal session, paste it in and then press enter. Your existing smb.conf file will be renamed for you if it exists.

Code:
    rm ~/bin/make-swat ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/98572736 -O ~/bin/make-swat ; chmod +x ~/bin/make-swat ;  make-swat
    In order to edit the smb.conf, besides using SWAT, you can use the following script called sysedit. Again, copy the following line, open up terminal, paste it in and press enter.

Code:
    rm ~/bin/sysedit ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/66173377 -O ~/bin/sysedit ; chmod +x ~/bin/sysedit ; sysedit
    I am not sure how I could make it more simple.

Thank You,

I have managed to paste in themake-swat script and received confirmation that the "Installation of the SWAT configuration files is now complete".Not sure what that has achieved as now when I launch Kontact & import an .ics file I get the same stuff groups/profiles/users (see earlier comments).Now faced with the request to input a Username & password but as stated previously - all known IDs & passwords fail.

Blog Entries

I have managed to paste in themake-swat script and received confirmation that the "Installation of the SWAT configuration files is now complete".Not sure what that has achieved as now when I launch Kontact & import an .ics file I get the same stuff groups/profiles/users (see earlier comments).Now faced with the request to input a Username & password but as stated previously - all known IDs & passwords fail.
    You should now have a SWAT icon you can run to configure how Samba works. Or, using the sysedit script, direct edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, seeing if the suggested settings, as made above are met. Further, I suggest you may need to do more reading on just how Samba is working. When you elect to share your /home area, you are going to need to be the same user logging into it. Else, share something that everyone can use. I have some examples of that here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...p-opensuse-76/

For all things Samba, have a look at this link: openSUSE SuSE Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials by Swerdna

Thank You,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast