OpenSuse 12.2 Slow Internet connection

I am using OpenSuse 12.2. After installing first thing i noticed, the ethernet interface is not detected automatically, even though its an onboard ethernet port.

Manually I created ifconfig-eth0 file and rebooted the machine, then i got the IP address.

secondly, when i try to access internet or to download some files, while the download starts the speed is good and as it goes to 20% the downloading stopped.

Even i have disabled firewall in Yast.

Thirdly I have enabled SSH via Yast, but not able to take SSH access of OpenSuse from any other machine.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gopal.

If the card was not detected, you would not have been able to configure it. So, the card has been detected otherwise it wouldn’t work.
Does the card show up in Yast - Network - Networksettings? My guess is, that it does.

Does your ISP support ipV6? If not, try switching ipv6 off, and see if the problem persists.

The card is showing in Network Settings. But how to disable the IPv6, I am not able to find anything in Yast.

Some more research I did and I found these commands,

rcnetwork restartzypper cleanzypper ref

After executing the above said command, seems to be fine, but still… when compared to other machine like CenOS and Ubuntu or Windows the speed is slow in OpenSuse 12.2. Even in OpenSuse 12.1 its fine with the same machine.

Regards,
Gopal.

Tried to download some tar files from third party website, still the issue persists.

Regards,
Gopal.

But how to disable the IPv6, I am not able to find anything in Yast.

???
YaST > Network > Network Settings and then the Global options tab shows a checkbox for IPv6 in my system.

I had a similar problem (slow firefox) and it also helped when I configured firefox not to use IPv6 too (Firefox address bar > about:config > network.dns.disableIPv6 > set to true).

Switching off IPv6 can of course be done to test if it is a problem. Else it should only be done if your ISP is not IPv6 ready at all. This can be tested at Test your IPv6.
You should not switch it off for vague reasons like: they said so on the internet).

Hi billypap,

After disabling IPv6 in Firefox, I got speed connection, now everything is working fine.

Thanks.