CUPS Printing Failure in 12.2

Unlike the “12.1” thread, forcing the DeviceURI to parallel://dev/lp0 does no good. Same error message though:

E [21/Oct/2012:17:49:27 -0700] [Job 52] Unable to open print file: No such file or directory

which is CUPS-ese for “something is wrong” (not that the file is actually missing).

My Brother printer died the other day. Based on my experiences of continual problems because of
not-fully-supported issues, I looked up which printers are best supported on Linux. Hands down, the
answer was HP. So this is a USB connected HP LaserJet M1217. None of these DeviceURI’s work:

DeviceURI socket://192.168.10.11
DeviceURI parallel://dev/lp0
DeviceURI hpfax:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1217nfw_MFP?serial=000000000T210B25PR1a

I wish printing wasn’t so hard. :frowning:

The socket backend is for network (TCP/IP) printing. The ‘parallel://’ backend is for printers connected to the legacy parallel port.

Make sure that you have the hplip package installed first. Review any additional requirements mentioned here:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Configure with

su -c hp-setup

Wow! Thank you. Silly me, the CUPS stuff recognized the printer and said that it had configured it just fine, so I figured that it had. I have set the printer up (via the browser interface to it) for wireless printing, print server printing (ethernet connected with a static IP 192.168.10.11), and a USB connection to boot. CUPS saw both the IP address and the USB interfaces. I tried “parallel://” because I had to use that for my now-dead Brother printer and someone else said something about using that protocol.

Anyway, I’ve now downloaded the new hp-lip service thingy and I’ll give it a spin when I get home. Thank you.

Of course, meandering around a bit, I got to the installation wizard page and:

Installation WizardYou have selected SUSE Linux 12.2 using the HP LaserJet Professional m1217nfw Multifunction Printer.

SUSE Linux 12.2 supplies HPLIP 3.11.3 and it does support your printer.

As the version of HPLIP supplied with your operating system supports your printer, you may continue to use that version of HPLIP.

You may now optionally download the latest version of HPLIP to get access to new features and bug fixes.

I’m not as hopeful as I was a few minutes ago. Maybe hplip-3.12.10a will help…

I sure you can cope - it’s not hard. :slight_smile:

SDB:How to set-up a HP printer - openSUSE

I notice there are two ppd files for the hewlett packard printers .ppd.gz and hpijs.ppd.gz using the hpjis.ppd.gz results in an error message when I try to print with my photosmart d110 printer changing my ppd file to the ppd.gz solved the problem

# find * -name '*ppd'
cups/ppd
cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-Professional-M1217nfw-MFP.ppd
cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-Professional-M1217nfw-MFP-Fax-3.ppd
cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-Professional-M1217nfw-MFP-Fax-3-2.ppd

Odd that there are three. There are two ways at the printer: ethernet and usb.

Also, with “hp-setup”:

The printer you are trying to setup requires a binary driver plug-in and it failed to install.
Please check your internet connection and try again.
Visit http://hplipopensource.com for more infomation.

so I followed that link and allowed it to try to install stuff and a mess got turned into a disaster.

INSTALL MISSING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 4 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'fax': reportlab (Reportlab - PDF library for Python)
warning: This installer cannot install 'reportlab' for your distro/OS and/or version.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan': sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': pil (PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan))
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': xsane (xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE)

HPLIP-3.12.4 exists, this may conflict with the new one being installed.
Do you want to ('i'= Remove and Install, 'o'= Overwrite*, 'q'= Quit)?   :

RE-CHECKING DEPENDENCIES
------------------------
warning: An optional dependency 'reportlab (Reportlab - PDF library for Python)' is still missing.
warning: Some features may not function as expected.
warning: An optional dependency 'pil (PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan))' is still missing.
warning: Some features may not function as expected.

and then the installer hangs and the KDE application killer cannot kill it. Then KDE crashed. Reboot time.

OK, whatever happened is beyond me. Now that I’ve rebooted, I still get error messages all over trying to do the install (doing so because my attempt did not seem to succeed). However, the install seems to have actually been successful and I’m not interested in chasing down the installation problems. The printer works. Thank you Dale and Deano for your suggestions. Something somewhere worked. :slight_smile:

Thank you - my printer now works. At least I have printed a test page lol! so I assume that it will work. But I thought that openSUSE was supposed to be easy to use etc - so far it has proved to be a lot more difficult than Ubuntu or it’s derivatives.

There is a learning curve involved, but I’ve used Linux (various distributions) for so long that I find delving into Windows more difficult. It all depends on what you get used to AFAIC. For example, while undertaking some contracting work a few years ago, I had to access an Ubuntu server that I needed to work with, and found that needed a bit of googling to get what I needed accomplished. I like to think that openSUSE is an intelligent person’s distro - the flexibility that it offers comes with the price of having a reasonable technical aptitude. :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Opensuse for 6 years now and all of a sudden 12.2 has caused me several issues. One is the time/clock issue. But this printing thing is new!! I have 3 printers. Xerox, and two HP’s. I get the thing printing and the next day it isn’t. VERY frustrating. I think it is the HP software that is the problem but hoped someone had a definitive answer. Every time I think I have fixed it, it stops again.