LibreOffice looks ugly in SUSE KDE

I am using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE.

This is what dropdown menus in my regular KDE apps look like (using Kate for an example):

http://i.imgur.com/bp5aU.png

And this is what dropdown menus in LibreOffice look like:

http://i.imgur.com/x0FM8.png

These are not just ugly but harder to work with. I also installed libreoffice-kde4 package from software.opensuse.org, but that doesn’t seem to have changed anything. What other packaged do I need to install in order to get standard KDE 4 look and feel in LibreOffice?

If everything looks ugly under KDE (which I tend to agree) - why don’t you use Gnome? :wink:
OK. Forget it! I assume you already defined a gtk2 theme, as I explained in your other thread (http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/478562-gtk-applications-having-serious-appearance-functionality-issues-kde.html#post2488229). You can enforce GTK interface and theme for libreOffice apps under KDE by exporting the variable OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP to gnome in your environment. There are many ways to achieve that. I would just place the following script in your ~/.kde4/env (create this directory if it doesn’t exist):

#!/bin/bash

# Make sure our customised gtkrc file is loaded.
export GTK2_RC_FILES=$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
**export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome**

Give the file a name which makes sense with the extension .sh and make it executable.

I just added the second export line in this example to gtk-qt-engine.rc.sh - which might already exist from somewhere (have been created by KDE).

Haha, I won’t be taking that bait. :wink:

I did that. The appearances of my LibreOffice have changed but I am not sure which one I dislike more, the one now or the one before. :smiley:

http://imageshack.us/a/img528/3613/librofficekde.jpg

There are thousands of gtk2 themes available. Just install the one you like! Again, bad written themes might cause problems with Eclipse. Actually, both Eclipse and LibreOffice have a pretty poorly written GTK interface (only very few GTK classes are supported. It means that theme authors can not customize a lot of things).

In fact it’s quite simple: LibreOffice is not a Qt application. If you want a fully integrated, completely KDE experience, install and try the Calligra suite (formerly known as koffice). Different, compared to LO, but IMHO very nice. IIRC it’s in the KDE:/Extra repo

You don’t need to install an extra repo for calligra.

# zypper info calligra
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package calligra:

**Repository: openSUSE-12.2-Update**
Name: calligra
Version: 2.4.3-2.4.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 22.0 MiB
Summary: Libraries and Base Files for the Calligra Suite
Description: 
The Calligra Suite is a set of applications that allows you to easily complete
your work. There are office applications, as well as Graphic applications.
There is also a comprehensive set of plug-ins. The Calligra Suite is unique
because not only does it consist of the normal word processor (Words) and
spreadsheet (Sheets) applications, but it also brings you Graphic applications
as well.

The Calligra Suite consists of 8 applications, the office applications are
Words, Sheets, Stage, Kexi, Flow, and Plan, and the graphic applications are
Krita and Karbon. Each application is unique and aimed towards normal personal
and professional uses.

This package contains the base files and libraries for the Suite.

str_replace(“IIRC it’s”, “please_try_again is right, it’s not”, "

");

echo "IIRC it's in the KDE:/Extra repo" | sed "s|IIRC it's|please_try_again is right, it's not|"

:wink:

And now serious: need to replace a series of strings in headers in php files all in one go, and was looking at sed (finally), thanks for the nice example. Gets me started.

I don’t understand if there is something wrong with every gtk theme I download. I tried many but the appearance isn’t changing. My files:

rahul@acb70333:~> cat .gtkrc-2.0
gtk-font-name="Aller 9"
include "/home/rahul/gtk-themes/aero/aero-clone/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

rahul@acb70333:~> cat .gtkrc-2.0-kde4
# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/home/rahul/gtk-themes/aero/aero-clone/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
# include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Aller"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

# gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"
gtk-theme-name="aero"
gtk-font-name="Aller 9"

Thank you, I already have it installed. I myself do not use office suite much; my sister does. She says she does not find Calligra as feature rich as LO.

Nice code, heh! :smiley:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:46:01 GMT
Knurpht <Knurpht@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> In fact it’s quite simple: LibreOffice is not a Qt application. If you
> want a fully integrated, completely KDE experience, install and try
> the Calligra suite (formerly known as koffice). Different, compared
> to LO, but IMHO very nice. IIRC it’s in the KDE:/Extra repo
>
>

I tried Calligra a few months ago. Glad I keep daily back-ups as it
wrecked a LibreOffice Calc file I tried it on. Considering they’re both
using Open Document Format, I was mildly surprised.

I’m using 4.9 and Calligra is the the KDE Core repo for that.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.9.1; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Strangely LibreOffice is looking all fine now. I made no further changes to the config files. Maybe some system update fixed the problem. (The appearance still differs from standard KDE apps in that the corners aren’t rounded, but that’s not a big deal.)

http://i.imgur.com/qc0s9.png

I think the suggestion to use gtk themes would have been a dead end as libreoffice is neither a native gtk or qt app. Because it uses it’s own kit it is always gonna be a little tricky to get it to look completely native in both gnome, kde or any other desktop.

I did read that there has been talk of changing Libreoffice to qt and ditching its own kit - but if they did decide to do this then it would be a ways down the track.

I use GTK because QT is worse. That’s all. But it’s tricky* to write a GTK theme that would look acceptable with libreOffice, because it doesn’t support a lot of GTK classes, very few indeed (same for Firefox).

• to be honest, it’s a waste of time … but I’m wasting my time anyway.

Could you give me some examples of a gtk2 theme that works perfectly in eclipse (light and/or dark) ?
I have tried the oxygen-gtk theme with a dark KDE theme and I do not like the way eclipse look.
So far using GTK Clearlooks give eclipse and LibreOffice its “normal” look while I have rest of KDE dark.

No, I’m sorry. I don’t have Eclipse now. I don’t use it either. I set ip up a couple times and I remember that it would even crash if the theme contains a syntax error or something it doesn’t like, while most other GTK apps would just ignore buggy themes and switch to the default theme instead. It took me a while to establish that the culprit was actually the GTK theme.

I don’t think that KDE dark themes are usable at all, at least not with any application. I have other problems, probably due to a QT bug (see here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/virtualization/478410-oracle-releases-vm-virtualbox-4-2-a.html#post2487803)

I usually write my own themes based on Clearlooks.

Strangely LibreOffice is looking all fine now. I made no further changes to the config files.

Which means you are using aero? I am kind of jealous of your last screenshot…

I am sorry for the late response; I was not notified by email of this new post.

Sorry for the confusion too. No, I am not using aero. I am using the oxygen-gtk theme.