I installed OpenSUSE 12.2 on an ASUS UX31A (Zenbook Prime).
For Ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime) and ArchLinux (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ok_Prime_UX31A) detailed informations are available.
Whats working well out of the box:
- installation worked well (I used the 64bit DVD installation)
- SD Card Reader
- Touchpad! The Clickpad functionality is activated in 12.2 (right mouse button is working)! Great! You can also add horizontal and vertical scrolling using the synaptics/touchpad menu.
- sleeping (powersafe) modes
- external VGA (HDMI not tested) using a second display
Whats not working:
- FN keys for brightness, keyboard backlight and volume
- keyboard backlight is always on but after closing and opening the notebook lid, the light is off
- brightness and volume can be also controled with the powermanagement applet and mixer applet
- automatic connection to router using WLAN made problems (networkmanager). The access point was often not found when the automatic connection was enabled. When the automatic connection was switched off, the access point was always shown. Strange .
- the touchpad is too big. When typing, I'am often coming on the touchpad and the cursor is moving to somewhere and you are writing somewhere in the document.
- Installing the 3.4.10 desktop Kernel (repository: Index of /repositories/Kernel:/openSUSE-12.2/standard) activates the FN buttons for volume
- Adding the kernel parameter "pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 nmi_watchdog=0" to grub2 reduce power consumption (how can I create different grub2 entries for different kernels and kernel parameters. With grub, OpenSUSE12.1 and an ASUS UX31E it was possible)
- the script (linux - Powertop reports "Bad" "Runtime PM for PCI Device" - Server Fault) also reduced power consumption (also suggestion by powertop)
- powertop showed ~2,5 W for smfpd daemon. This daemon is necessary for LPT ports (What is smfpd? - really tenacious guy). Did you see a LP printer in the last ten years? I switched the daemon off (Yast/runlevel).
- I have still three "bad" points in powertop: VM writeback timeout, Autosuspend for USB device USB2.0-CRW [Generic], Autosuspend for unknown USB device 2-1.6 (8087:07da)
- Switching off the touchpad when typing on the keyboard
Perhaps other Zenbook Prime users can add their experiences, improvements and tips.