Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The nvidia 304.37 driver is out

Default The nvidia 304.37 driver is out

Check this out we won't need to blacklist nouveau any more!
    NVIDIA Long Lived 304.37 released | Unixmen

And of course get it here:
    Drivers | GeForce
    Challenge your preconceptions, or they will challenge you.
    My 32 bit: E Machines T3103| VIA On board graphics|512MB RAM
    My 64 bit: Gateway 5670| Nvidia GeForce GT610 |CPU AMD Phenom 8400|4G RAM
    Opensuse 13.2 KDE 4.14

Default Re: The nvidia 304.37 driver is out

I did not know nouveau was blacklisted.

It seems to be the only driver that works on my system, but I may give the new nvidia driver a test run.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

I've just discovered nouveau now works fully. I couldn't get it to work with kaffeine before.
    I'm sticking with nouveau for now but I've just updated nvidia driver in my factory partition.
    Pete

Any idea as to when this will be available via repository ??

Thanks

Best answer sometime on or after the final release of 12.2 which maybe after Sep 5, 2012.
    Opensuse 13.2 KDE 4.14

Hey, there is display rotation in Nvidia X Server Settings. That wasn't there before.

It pays to be persistent.... or stubborn. I have an older card: 7600GS. The nvidia drivers stopped working for me at 280.xx. I kept a copy of that driver to re-install each time I tried a newer driver and it failed. I'm happy to say the 304.37 driver works just fine! Except, I can't seem to find any difference from the old driver?!?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

If I install the nVidia driver from repository (for opensuse 12.1) for my GeForce 8600GT, will it have display rotation now? I've been avoiding using those drivers for a few months because they didn't have rotation last time. When I tried to uninstall them (to use the default driver with display rotation) I messed up my system and ended up having to reinstall opensuse from scratch. (I'm not that knowledgeable with linux yet--just a few months into it.)

Also, I don't know how to upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 and I'm afraid it will break something anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by rabarrett View Post
    If I install the nVidia driver from repository (for opensuse 12.1) for my GeForce 8600GT, will it have display rotation now? I've been avoiding using those drivers for a few months because they didn't have rotation last time. When I tried to uninstall them (to use the default driver with display rotation) I messed up my system and ended up having to reinstall opensuse from scratch. (I'm not that knowledgeable with linux yet--just a few months into it.)

Also, I don't know how to upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 and I'm afraid it will break something
    Since your new I have 2 very strong suggestions for you my 1st recommendation:
    Please stay with 12.1 for at least another month! Until at least Oct 5 Please!
    Then my 2nd recommendation learn a liitle bit more about how Opensuse works by doing the steps below:

1)First get some extra things that you need to get the nvdia drivers installed, open Yast
    2) Type "gcc" in the Search in the left pane in the right pane find & check gcc
    Type "make" in the Search in the left pane in the right pane find & check make
    Type "kernel" in the Search in the left pane in the right pane
    check kernel-source, kernel-devel & kernel syms. Other things will auto check to install you'll want them too. Click Accept. When Yast is done close Yast.(Important tip here: Check Yast Online Update regularly When there's a kernel update check to make sure that the 3 kernels have the same number. This'll save you a lot of trouble when the kernel updates come out later.)
    3) Go to the nvidia driver site & download the drivers to your Downloads folder:
    Drivers | GeForce
    4)Check this out:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/content/1...sion-1-46.html
    The instructions there are pretty easy for a newcomer to understand, & will help you to learn a little more about how Opensuse works. Then after you have a better idea of how it all works then try out 12.2 OK?
    Opensuse 13.2 KDE 4.14

304.43 is out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast