Error 15: file not found - boot openSUSE 12.1

Howdy,

Sorry to bother but I’ve recently updated my suse to 12.1 and im having a lot of problems.

Now I’cant even enter in safe mode, it gives this message in grub

I’ve tried to chenge the partition number but didn’t work, i’ve 2 disks, with 6 partitions for windows and the rest for suse and swap. I can’t locate the file to boot.

I didn’t wanted the new grub after installing the system so I’ve changed to previous grub, and the next error came up.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

root (hd0,6)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.4-1.1-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD503H
I_S23CJ90B112962-part7    video=1920x1080 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD
503HI_S23CJ90B112962-part6 splash=silent quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x4200, size=0x4ab170]
initrd /boot/initrd-3.4.4-1.1-desktop-kdump

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

Since you are able to get online, it might be best to download and create an openSUSE 12.1 LiveCD boot disk in which you could boot from and then run the fdisk -l command, showing us the contents of the /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map as well as the /etc/fstab file. The folder names are relative to the installed copy of openSUSE 12.1 you just made and not the LiveCD boot disk its self. openSUSE uses Grub legacy by default and so when you say use the new Grub, do you mean you installed Grub 2? So I know how Grub 2 works, but not sure how well using that is going to work with openSUSE 12.1 which does not use Grub 2 by default. If possible, you might want to do a clean install of openSUSE 12.1 and use the default Grub legacy boot loader.

Thank You,

Hi jdmcdaniel3, I’ve reinstalled openSUSE and changed grub2 to just grub… not ready for grub2 yet. I’ts too complicated. Thank you and sorry for taking so long for answer.

No problem on your reply. I am happy to hear you were able to get a working copy of openSUSE 12.1 using Grub Legacy. openSUSE 12.2 will default to grub 2 and so its just a delay before we will all be using Grub 2. m1cky64 do not hesitate to ask for further help if you need to.

For anyone that has already started using Grub 2, I have a bash script you should look at:

GNU Grub2 Command Help/Config Editor - Version: 1.75 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

And for all users of Grub legacy and Grub 2, you must have a look at this one:

FastBoot for Grub 2 or Grub Legacy Menu using Kexec - Version 2.13 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Hi James,

There is a new option findgrub/cfindgrub 4.0 that might help debugging file not found errrors. I haven’t posted about it yet. You might want to have a look at it:

$ findgrub -c

Or use cfindgrub in case it’s more readable with colors. In addtion to the offset of the next stage or core (that findgrub -v also prints), findgrub -c will show the inode corresponding to this sector and the path of the file which starts at this inode. It should obviously always be ‘stage2’ or ‘core.img’. It only works for ext2/3/4 partitions. I will post an example when I get some time.

I will have a look for sure please_try_again when findgrub 4.0 hits the forum.

Thank You,