Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTL8723AE Realtek wirless driver hell :(

Default RTL8723AE Realtek wirless driver hell :(

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 and have been unable to get the wireless working. I emailed Realtek and they emailed me a driver file but I still cannot get it to work on openSUSE or the trial version of SLED 11. I am having to use Windows 7 atm because I am at uni and need the wifi and am most shattered. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Kind regrads, Z.

Default Re: RTL8723AE Realtek wirless driver hell :(

Ok - I have managed to get the wifi working on an Ubuntu 12.04 install following these instructions drivers - Wireless card Realtek RTL8723AE-BT is not recognized - Ask Ubuntu. But when i tried to use these instructions in openSUSE or SLED it dis not work. Should I be using different commands???

On 08/08/2012 09:46 AM, zleonard wrote:
    >
    > Ok - I have managed to get the wifi working on an Ubuntu 12.04 install
    > following these instructions 'drivers - Wireless card Realtek
    > RTL8723AE-BT is not recognized - Ask Ubuntu'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/c9qmh56). But when i tried to use these instructions
    > in openSUSE or SLED it dis not work. Should I be using different
    > commands???

As long as you do not post any error messages, I have no idea what went wrong.
    My crystal ball is broken. Have you installed the prerequisites to build a
    kernel module? In addition, you always need to specify what version of openSUSE
    you are using.

Using the wget command in the Ubuntu link, I now have a copy of the driver. It
    is a brand new driver that has been added to the rtlwifi family. I can integrate
    it into the in-kernel versions, but without a sample of the device, I will not
    be able to test it. Perhaps you will be able to handle that part. If so, I will
    need to know your E-mail address so that I can send you files. Send me a Private
    Message with that info.

On 08/08/2012 10:38 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    > As long as you do not post any error messages, I have no idea what went wrong.
    > My crystal ball is broken. Have you installed the prerequisites to build a
    > kernel module? In addition, you always need to specify what version of openSUSE
    > you are using.
    >
    > Using the wget command in the Ubuntu link, I now have a copy of the driver. It
    > is a brand new driver that has been added to the rtlwifi family. I can integrate
    > it into the in-kernel versions, but without a sample of the device, I will not
    > be able to test it. Perhaps you will be able to handle that part. If so, I will
    > need to know your E-mail address so that I can send you files. Send me a Private
    > Message with that info.

It will not help you now, but Realtek is sending me samples of the RTL8723E so
    that I will be able to incorporate the new driver into the kernel, and test the
    results. Within 2 months, or so, this driver should be in compat-wireless, and
    then it should appear with kernel 3.8 (a guess).

Sorry for the late reply - I hope I did not seem ungrateful for you help. I have been flat out busy at university with no wifi capability or time to reinstall suse again. I attempted to get the wifi working on openSUSE 12.1, 11.4, and SLED 11 before having to install Ubuntu just so that I could get a wifi connection (but it is as good as not working so I will reinstall a *SUSE distro again). Would you have a suggestion as to which *SUSE would give me the best possibility of getting this driver working? After I reinstall I can get those error messages to you. Thanks again, Larry.

Am installing SLED 11 - unfortunately I had to also put Windows 7 on another partition just to get a wifi connection (oh the shame...)...

dd@home.dk NNTP User

On 08/13/2012 05:16 PM, zleonard wrote:
    > Am installing SLED 11

this is the openSUSE forum, the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop forum is
    at http://forums.suse.com/

most people here have never used SLED and therefore the answers you get
    might not be what you need..

the same user ID and password used here is also used there..

--
    dd

On 08/13/2012 10:56 AM, dd@home.dk wrote:
    > On 08/13/2012 05:16 PM, zleonard wrote:
    >> Am installing SLED 11

>
    > this is the openSUSE forum, the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop forum is at
    > http://forums.suse.com/
    >
    > most people here have never used SLED and therefore the answers you get might
    > not be what you need..
    >
    > the same user ID and password used here is also used there..

The openSUSE distro that will have this device work "out-of-the-box" will likely
    be 13.1. I got a copy of the driver from Realtek, and they are sending me
    samples of the hardware. I have added the driver to my set of kernel patches,
    and it is building correctly. Once the hardware is available, then I can test
    and push the changes upstream to wireless-testing, where they will possibly be
    included in kernel 3.7 or 3.8. Once they are accepted into wireless-testing, the
    driver will be available in compat-wireless.

In the meantime, you will need to build the driver from the source you have. You
    said you got errors, but I never saw what the *exact* computer output.

FYI, you can try every distro in the world. None of them will have this driver.

Installed openSUSE 12.1... Will try again.....

Installed 12.1 ... will try again...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast