ctrl alt del option in inittab - has it stopped working in 12.1?

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

The above line in inittab used to make ctrl alt delete do a shutdown. But I have moved from 11.4 to 12.1 and this now makes no difference, it does a reboot. I have compared the /etc/inittab file to my old one which I have a copy of and these lines are the same.

Is it a bug?

I should mention that “shutdown -h now” from an xterm shuts the system down, as I would expect.

I should also mention that I did not do an upgrade, I did a new installation.

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:06:02 +0000, aungOWUmJv3Hpfig wrote:

> Is it a bug?

No. If you use sysvinit, it’ll work. SystemD is the default, though,
and it doesn’t use inittab.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

No. We are now using systemd. Check your release notes openSUSE 12.1 Release Notes

Use halt -p for shutdown.

Thanks. I can see there is more to this than meets the eye. I tried symlink ctrl-alt-del.target to shutdown.target (instead of reboot.target) but that caused the system to hang toward the end of shutdown. So, I think I will just do without this option for the time being.

Just in case anyone else comes down this road, I found a solution which works:

208 2012-08-03 21:50:20 cd /lib/systemd/system
211 2012-08-03 21:50:49 rm ctrl-alt-del.target
212 2012-08-03 21:51:05 ln -s poweroff.target ctrl-alt-del.target

On 2012-08-03 22:46, aungOWUmJv3Hpfig wrote:

> Thanks. I can see there is more to this than meets the eye. I tried
> symlink ctrl-alt-del.target to shutdown.target (instead of
> reboot.target) but that caused the system to hang toward the end of
> shutdown. So, I think I will just do without this option for the time
> being.

If you don’t find an answer, you may also ask in the mail lists, and attract the attention of
the maintainer. I’m also curious how to attain this halt action.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

What’s wrong with ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+PGDN? It still works in 12.1.

It does nothing.

Works here with oS 11.4 (sysinit) and 12.1 (systemd) 64-bit, KDE 4.8. Always did, since oS 10.x AFAIR.

Perhaps it’s DE-specific.

Or ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+fn+PGDN in one of these netbooks where PageDown need the function key modifier.

Are you doing that on the console, or on X? If the latter then it is probably a KDE thing. I have not installed KDE or Gnome. I just use xdm and IceWM.

On X. KDE 4.8.4 to be exact. From ITS Wiki - Information Technology Services - University of Rhode Island Wiki | Key Combinations | Help Desk, ITS Security, Classroom Media Assistance it’s a KDE thing. From Table of keyboard shortcuts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it should work both in KDE and GNOME.

So it’s not what you want.

This stopped working on the 13th of March. The ctrl-alt-del.target was reset to point to reboot. Was that supposed to happen? It was probably as a result of an update.