How does one do "nomodeset" in Grub2

I’m thinking that as usual Nvidia will need a nomodeset. To do this IIRC I need to first press “e” but what after that?

AFAIK changing “NOKMS_IN_INITRD” through Yast - System - Sysconfigeditor to “yes” is enough. That’s setting kernel modesetting to off, which has the same effect as the nomodeset parameter at boot.

Thanks I’d not thought of that. However might there be other ways? I’m looking to write my Nvidia for Newbies thread & Grub2 does change everything.
Though Knurpht I do like your idea it’s soooo newbie friendly!

Look at the file /etc/default/grub and the command line that says: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=, where you can add nomodeset to be included in all loadable kernels from grub2. I recommended adding nomodeset for any one who will be loading the nVIDIA proprietary video driver. This file must be edited as root. I think you need to run the command grub2-mkconfig for anything new added to be propagated to the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file.

Thank You,

I do not understand you to add nomodeset to grub 2. My nvidia working properly without nomodeset.

On 07/16/2012 06:56 AM, petrherynk wrote:
>
> I do not understand you to add nomodeset to grub 2. My nvidia working
> properly without nomodeset.

Yes, but not everyone has the same Nvidia adapter that you do. I have two, and
neither works with nouveau, and the need nomodeset!!

I actually have a couple of older nVIDIA cards that do work with the nouveau driver and even have 3D support, but there are still some oddities that occur with it like strange things on the screen when it goes blank. Its a personnel choice to load the proprietary video driver and if you are happy with the open source one, by all means keep using and support as best you can. In fact, anyone that is having good success with the nouveau driver has got to give us the model number or chip name if you know it. Many of the older nVIDIA cards can still be purchased and knowing it has good open source support is something we need to know.

And as always, thanks so much for your comments.

Thank You,

to answer the question “To do this IIRC I need to first press “e” but what after that?”

once you press “e” at the grub boot menu, you should be presented with the actual grub lines used to boot.
Search down to the line that starts with “linux /boot/…” it may (probably will) span across two or more lines.
At the end of the line it probably says “quiet splash”
After “splash” type a space and then nomodeset.
then ctl-x will boot with those boot options. Esc brings you back to the grub menu in case you hit “e” on the wrong menu entry.
I have intel graphics and had to use nomodeset after I installed 12.2 beta for udev or something to complete my configuring.
before that it would just hang at the screen with a lizard and a progress bar (without any indication of how long the progress bar is)
after I started it once with nomodeset, it started up fine, now I’m updating to rc1 with zypper dup.

Jim,
Thank you for the /etc/default/grub idea. I think I’ve played with that before. It’s definitely worth checking out.

cw9000,
That was the info that I was looking for in my OP, while not real Newb friendly I’ll consider that as well.

I thank you all for the suggestions, now I have to try & get in touch with my inner newb.