Problem with HAL / UDEV and Amazon Instant Video (Adobe Flash)

I am having an issue watching Amazon Instant Videos, which use Adobe Flash. About 25% of the videos that I attempt to watch work perfectly fine, but the other 75% display a message and a progress bar on the screen saying “Updating Player…” The flash player is always unable to update, however, and I always get the following message:

An error occurred and your player could not be updated.This is likely because your Flash Player or Browser needs to be updated. This update is required to play back this video.

Click here to learn more about updating your player.

Clicking the link provides nothing at all useful. So, I did some research, and found nothing at all specific to openSUSE, but found that this error is caused by not having hal and libhal1 installed on Ubuntu. This is backed up by the following links:

Fixing ‘Updating player…’ issue in Amazon Instant Video on Linux

Problems playing protected video content | Ubuntu Linux, Flash Player 11

Fixing this sounds like it should be very straight forward, and as simple as installing the HAL (Linux Hardware Abstraction Layer) package, but openSUSE no longer uses HAL, so it cannot be installed. openSUSE has switched from using HAL to using UDEV instead. I checked, and I already have UDEV installed, yet am still getting the “Updating Player…” error. Does anyone know how to solve this?

There is another recent thread about this:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/476328-flash-player-requires-hal-drm-content.html

It might be worth reading that thread.

Install from here
http://software.opensuse.org/package/hal

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I installed the 1 Click installer for HAL from KDE from the link that Martin posted:

software.opensuse.org:

It did not appear to have any issues installing properly, and seemed to go quite smoothly. Installing HAL helped somewhat. I no longer get the “Updating Player…” error. Now Adobe Flash tries to play the video within the web browser just as it normally does with the videos that do play correctly. However, now I am getting a new error. Now it says:

The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed.
Send crash report

All of the videos that used to play correctly still do, but the ones that wouldn’t play before now show this error instead of the old error. Any ideas?

All of the videos that used to play correctly still do, but the ones that wouldn’t play before now show this error instead of the old error. Any ideas?

I don’t like your chances here. Sending the carsh report is obviously a waste of time, since Adobe are no longer developing/supporting the plugin, and unfortunately it contains proprietary code. Flash is EOL.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/community-fun/general-chit-chat/476427-re-adobe-pulls-flash-player-support-android-4-1-a.html

My suggestion is to lobby/encourage the relevant site people to migrate to an alternative content delivery system, compatible with Linux, (and maybe Android too).

Go into yast -> system -> system services (runlevel) and search in the
list if haldaemon is activated, if not activate it.

PC: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Martin, your instructions fixed the issue immediately. Videos that would not play before are playing perfectly now. Thank you very much for your help! Problem solved.

deano_ferrari, thank you for your information about the discontinuation of support for Flash. I heard nothing about it’s support being discontinued by Adobe until you mentioned it, and then I read something on wired.com about it today. Good to know. I wonder what content providers will be replacing it with. I have played around with HTML5 video, and it seems to work quite nicely, but supporting the various different browsers seems like quite a chore, as far picking a video encoding compatible with all browsers and operating systems and even coding the HTML itself for all browsers to recognize the videos. I think that’s more a flaw with the way that certain browsers are implemented, though, than a flaw with HTML5. Now that Internet Explorer is finally significantly losing market share to Firefox and Chrome, I think this is a problem that will likely take care of itself in time. I think the new HTML video feature is pretty neat.

Any chance you can tell me - a NOOB to ubuntu - how to do this ? I have this issue and am self learning :slight_smile: - Please help ?

Thank you in advance!

a NOOB to ubuntu

Well, supposing you are using UBUNTU, you don’t have yast. So, you probably should ask on the Ubuntu forums…

Have downloaded and installed software.opensuse.org:. Also gone into yast to activate haldaemon. But still getting the message, “The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed.
Send crash report.”

Am 03.10.2012 20:56, schrieb tom of helatrobus:
> Have downloaded and installed ‘software.opensuse.org:’
> (http://software.opensuse.org/package/hal). Also gone into yast to
> activate haldaemon. But still getting the message, “The Adobe Flash
> plugin has crashed. Send crash report.”
>
Sorry, no idea, it works for me. Does flash crash for you always? Then
it has nothing to do with the discussion here and you should open a new
thread. Hal is only needed for DRM support not for flash in general.

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.5 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.1 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.2 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

does not crash using flash player in youtube. i’m using flash player 11.2.202.238 and firefox 15.0.01. i assume you are using the same. if you are using the same versions that i using, why should their be any difference? what other factors could be involved?

Am 04.10.2012 05:06, schrieb tom of helatrobus:
>
> does not crash using flash player in youtube. i’m using flash player
> 11.2.202.238 and firefox 15.0.01. i assume you are using the same. if
> you are using the same versions that i using, why should their be any
> difference? what other factors could be involved?
>
>
32 bit vs 64 bit, graphics card, desktop environment - all that can play
a role.
I am running

flash-player-11.2.202.238-2.3.1.x86_64
flash-player-kde4-11.2.202.238-2.3.1.x86_64
MozillaFirefox-translations-common-15.0.1-2.11.1.x86_64
MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-6.1-1.1.1.x86_64
MozillaFirefox-15.0.1-2.11.1.x86_64
hal-0.5.14-82.3.x86_64

Do you have a test link where it crashes?

ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.2 | HD 3000

Btw has anyone tested google chrome (not chromium which does not have
it) whith its builtin flash 11.3 with drm content if that works?

Installing Google CHROME resolved the issue for me (after HAL install and other CL that did not work) - No more crashes. Although I guess I should put this on the Ubuntu forum since that is what I am running . . . . not like it has anything to do with linux or anything ya know. . . :sarcastic:

installed MozillaFirefox-translations-common-15.0.1-2.11.1.x86_64 and MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-6.1-1.1.1.x86_64 and updated the rest. Still no luck. i don’t have the test link since it only happens when trying to stream videos from amazon prime and i’m sure you don’t want to pay for amazon prime just to check it out.

Am 05.10.2012 15:26, schrieb tom of helatrobus:
> Still no luck. i don’t have the test link since it only happens when
> trying to stream videos from amazon prime and i’m sure you don’t want to
> pay for amazon prime just to check it out.
I hoped they have some public test links to check compatibility like
adobe has on its own site.
You are of course right I do not want to subscribe to amazon prime just
for that :slight_smile:

I was hopeful because it looks like this has worked for a couple people. I’m getting the “The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed.” as well, though. Steps I took as an attempt are:

1. Added the KDE3 Repository
  2. Installed the HAL package
  3. Started the HAL daemon

Still a no go.

I am sorry to hear of your struggles, I have been using Linux Mint for many years and after recently updating to version Nadia my laptop became unstable, I messed it with it a few times but it would get to the point of working and then become unbootable. To cut a long story short i switched to my next favorite distro for testing purposes. Fired up Suse 11.3 - installed well, and was stable. Upgraded from 11/3-12.1 and everything was good too, so finally went from 12.1-12.2 and I now have workable system - so i switched to gnome, which i like and cinnamon which i like and had some minor issues with wifi applet and sound applet - these are now resolved and working well – thanks to the forums.
i had the same issue as you this morning on my amazon instant video.
I followed the steps - installed Hal. went back to amazon video and it still wasnt working.
started the daemon in yast and tried again and everything works well, i can even click the popout button and it responds.

hang in there - there are many smart people in the forums who can help - you have a great distro and i am sure this will resolve well.

not sure if this will help any but i have gnash installed to - if you go to yast and click on the software management icon and then search for gnash, maybe that will be helpful.

Also - did you test it out on hulu yet? I know Hulu gives 14 day free trial - i just signed up for it and tested and it works for me. Netflix of course, still doesnt work. But Amazon, Hulu and Youtube do.
Good luck.

Like tom_of_heltrobus, Adobe Flash crashed for me even after installing the HAL package and starting the haldaemon.

There is a work around to this problem. It is not perfect, but it is a way to watch movies on Amazon Prime with OpenSuse.

I installed Crossover Linux 12.1.2 (WINE), and Internet Explorer 7 under Crossover. The Internet Explorer install includes Flash. Now I can watch Amazon Prime with IE, even on my old Pentium 4 computer.

I am running OpenSuse 12.3 KDE.

Note that I have seen some posts that there are issues running Crossover under OpenSuse 12.3 GNOME so this work around may not be good for that desktop.