I am having an issue watching Amazon Instant Videos, which use Adobe Flash. About 25% of the videos that I attempt to watch work perfectly fine, but the other 75% display a message and a progress bar on the screen saying "Updating Player..." The flash player is always unable to update, however, and I always get the following message:
Clicking the link provides nothing at all useful. So, I did some research, and found nothing at all specific to openSUSE, but found that this error is caused by not having hal and libhal1 installed on Ubuntu. This is backed up by the following links:An error occurred and your player could not be updated.This is likely because your Flash Player or Browser needs to be updated. This update is required to play back this video.
Click here to learn more about updating your player.
Fixing ‘Updating player…’ issue in Amazon Instant Video on Linux
Problems playing protected video content | Ubuntu Linux, Flash Player 11
Fixing this sounds like it should be very straight forward, and as simple as installing the HAL (Linux Hardware Abstraction Layer) package, but openSUSE no longer uses HAL, so it cannot be installed. openSUSE has switched from using HAL to using UDEV instead. I checked, and I already have UDEV installed, yet am still getting the "Updating Player..." error. Does anyone know how to solve this?