VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Hi Everyone,

I am running openSUSE 11.4 x64. I was running VLC media player version 1x and decided to upgrade to version 2.01. The install was successful, but after the upgrade it seems as if something went corrupt. I can no longer play many videos of various file types including .wma / .flv etc. I can still play a DVD without any issues. When I try and play those files, it gives me an error message regarding h264. I did check and I see I have that encoder installed on my system. Other errors are regarding some audio codecs.

I uninstalled VLC and reinstalled it but with no avail. I installed it directly from VLC’s videolan repo.

I hope you guys could help me and provide me with some assistance.

Btw - openSUSE is still the best OS out there!! :slight_smile:

Kind regards

henkasdf

I installed it directly from VLC’s videolan repo.
Wrong
http://forums.opensuse.org/content/107-re-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide.html

Do you think if i delete my current VLC installation and reinstall from packman that it would fix my problem?

Yes. http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/476130-vlc-stops-play-video-latest-updates.html

Thanks, I followed the advice on the link and it solved my prooooblem.

Yes
Well done

Aloha I have been “trying” to follow this thread. As I too have the same problem with VLC not playing wma’s etc.
Do I understand correctly this is the link that is stated above in the post by hanhasdf. You replied with this answer?
I just need to study that page and figure it out? This is the URL that comes up when you click on the link you posted If this the correct thing to do??
http://forums.opensuse.org/content/107-re-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide.html

Your post: “Wrong”
http://forums.opensuse.org/content/1…ion-guide.html

Thank you very much it would be really nice to have VLC play more types of files. I am also trying to find a player that will BURN movies that I have saved on my computer from torrents to my DVD player. VLC does have a RIP record feature now but no burn feature. What do you recommend for this? Thank you. Antoinette

One more thing I am researching the directions Re: Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide and I am one of those newbies who does not know per the post what it means to “open a terminal”. Can you please tell me how? Are we dealing with Dos? Or Lunux? Or what? I have Windows XP use IE trying to get wma’s and others to play on VLC by using the suggested URL. It also states: This assumes you already have the default: Oss, NON-OSS and Update repositories. **
**How can I find if I have Oss, NON-OSS. I assume this is IN VLC? My VLC is updated. What is Oss and NON-OSS?
Thank you, I am really trying. If he could do it so can I!
Antoinette

From install your have Updates, Oss and NON-OSS, they are repositories that contain the default software.

A terminal can be found from your applications menu, how that looks will depend on if you use kde or gnome. But both have a search facility in the menu, the kde terminal is called konsole

KDE has a application k3b for burning, you can use Brasero in Gnome or install k3b.

If you are finding it difficult it’s because you are having to learn all over again. Linux is NOT Windows.
There is a One Click option listed in my guide

Thank you for responding. I am aware Linux is not Windows.
I will look for the places you have told me and Thank you for telling me how to burn using either K3b or Brasero.
It will make things so much easier. Even itunes does not want to play MP3’s anymore. Media Player won’t play wma’s and in the old VLC I remember everything playing. I took off the latest 2.0 and am putting back on 1.11 to see if it will have more options too.
I will keep you posted on my progress if it is OK.
Antoinette

I only have a few .wma files, and they play fine
This is the key package I think: gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon

I don’t and won’t use Windows or iTunes

Comment here as you wish, only I’m away a few days from today

I guess I am not doing too well. I don’t see the Applications Menu to even find the terminal. Even under Tools and Preferences there is not an Applications or Menu to find the terminal.
And for the Os and OSS I don’t know what a repository is. (a folder?) that contains the default software? I looked in my C:/Video Lan/ VLC don’t see anything with the letters Os or NON-OSS in there. What is the repository please?

Am I not going in the right direction?
This url: Things you didn’t know VLC media player can do - Instant Fundas
states you can burn a movie but it burns it TO your HD folder My Videos not to a DVD. NO place for options to burn to in the programme I guess.

1. Record videos: With the new VLC, you can record videos during playback. The record button is hidden by default. To see it, click on View>Advanced Control. The record button will now appear. Clicking on the button while playing a movie or video will start recording. Clicking again will stop recording.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_S0f-AWxKVdM/SsDPvwOxizI/AAAAAAAALIc/EOEf7jkU1RU/vlc-record[3].png?imgmax=800

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are on about, except you seem to be spewing M$ talk.

You need to clarify exactly what you are trying to do in any way related to openSUSE