Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Default VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Hi Everyone,

I am running openSUSE 11.4 x64. I was running VLC media player version 1x and decided to upgrade to version 2.01. The install was successful, but after the upgrade it seems as if something went corrupt. I can no longer play many videos of various file types including .wma / .flv etc. I can still play a DVD without any issues. When I try and play those files, it gives me an error message regarding h264. I did check and I see I have that encoder installed on my system. Other errors are regarding some audio codecs.

I uninstalled VLC and reinstalled it but with no avail. I installed it directly from VLC's videolan repo.

I hope you guys could help me and provide me with some assistance.

Btw - openSUSE is still the best OS out there!!

Kind regards

henkasdf
    Those who never try never fly!
    Box: openSUSE 11.4 x64 | KDE 4.6 | Intel DG41RQ | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 | nVIDIA 8400GS | 4GB RAM
    Note: Windows 7 | SP-1 | Intel Centrino Duo 1.7 | Intel 945GM | LG-F1 | 2GB RAM

Blog Entries

Default Re: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

I installed it directly from VLC's videolan repo.
    Wrong
    http://forums.opensuse.org/content/1...ion-guide.html
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Do you think if i delete my current VLC installation and reinstall from packman that it would fix my problem?
    Box: openSUSE 11.4 x64 | KDE 4.6 | Intel DG41RQ | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 | nVIDIA 8400GS | 4GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by henkasdf View Post
    Do you think if i delete my current VLC installation and reinstall from packman that it would fix my problem?
    Yes. http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...t-updates.html

Quote Originally Posted by Static2k View Post
    Thanks, I followed the advice on the link and it solved my prooooblem.

Blog Entries

Yes
    Well done
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

7. Default Re: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Aloha I have been "trying" to follow this thread. As I too have the same problem with VLC not playing wma's etc.
    Do I understand correctly this is the link that is stated above in the post by hanhasdf. You replied with this answer?
    I just need to study that page and figure it out? This is the URL that comes up when you click on the link you posted If this the correct thing to do??

Your post: "Wrong"

Thank you very much it would be really nice to have VLC play more types of files. I am also trying to find a player that will BURN movies that I have saved on my computer from torrents to my DVD player. VLC does have a RIP record feature now but no burn feature. What do you recommend for this? Thank you. Antoinette

8. Default Re: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

One more thing I am researching the directions Re: Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide and I am one of those newbies who does not know per the post what it means to "open a terminal". Can you please tell me how? Are we dealing with Dos? Or Lunux? Or what? I have Windows XP use IE trying to get wma's and others to play on VLC by using the suggested URL. It also states: This assumes you already have the default: Oss, NON-OSS and Update repositories.
    How can I find if I have Oss, NON-OSS. I assume this is IN VLC? My VLC is updated. What is Oss and NON-OSS?
    Thank you, I am really trying. If he could do it so can I!
    Antoinette

Blog Entries

From install your have Updates, Oss and NON-OSS, they are repositories that contain the default software.

A terminal can be found from your applications menu, how that looks will depend on if you use kde or gnome. But both have a search facility in the menu, the kde terminal is called konsole

KDE has a application k3b for burning, you can use Brasero in Gnome or install k3b.

If you are finding it difficult it's because you are having to learn all over again. Linux is NOT Windows.
    There is a One Click option listed in my guide
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

10. Default Re: VLC Media Player does not play .wma / .flv / and a few other file types

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    From install your have Updates, Oss and NON-OSS, they are repositories that contain the default software.

A terminal can be found from your applications menu, how that looks will depend on if you use kde or gnome. But both have a search facility in the menu, the kde terminal is called konsole

KDE has a application k3b for burning, you can use Brasero in Gnome or install k3b.

If you are finding it difficult it's because you are having to learn all over again. Linux is NOT Windows.
    There is a One Click option listed in my guide
    Thank you for responding. I am aware Linux is not Windows.
    I will look for the places you have told me and Thank you for telling me how to burn using either K3b or Brasero.
    It will make things so much easier. Even itunes does not want to play MP3's anymore. Media Player won't play wma's and in the old VLC I remember everything playing. I took off the latest 2.0 and am putting back on 1.11 to see if it will have more options too.
    I will keep you posted on my progress if it is OK.
    Antoinette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast