Thread: OpenSUSE 12.1 Fresh install error: Call to lnusertemp failed

Default OpenSUSE 12.1 Fresh install error: Call to lnusertemp failed

Hello and thanks in advance!

I just performed a fresh install of OpenSUSE 12.1 and I cannot log in using the credentials created during the install process. After entering my username and password I am presented with the following error: "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check you installation."

I have attached a partition schema to the end of this post. sda6 and sda7 were previously Ubuntu linux partitions. I deleted these partitions and ran the OpenSUSE live CD installer. During the install process, the installer recommended to create an sda8 to mount as /home. I unchecked the option to suggest a new partition for /home and manually set sda5 to mount as /home. sda5 is a partition that I previously used to share data between Ubuntu / WinXP. Previously, Ubuntu mounted a folder in its native partition to /home and when I did this install I wanted sda5 to be /home incase I decide to install multiple distros. It made sense to me... but maybe I broke something by configuring the partitions this way.

On the very first boot I received this error. So, I logged in as root and I did tons of searching and people seem to be resolving it by either removing the user and re-adding it through YaST (which I tried) in an attempt to fix the permissions of the /home/myUser directory or by changing permission of /var/tmp to 777. I have even seen several suggestions to perform a complete reinstall by first manually erasing the destination partitions (which by chance I had already done).

I deleted the user with YaST, manually removed the /home/myUser directory, and recreated the user with YaST - which in turn recreated the appropriate /home/myUser directory with owner ser to 'root' and group set to 'users'. Shouldn't the owner be 'myUser'?

Also, if you look at the partition table below, there are 6 tmpfs devices registered (I am assuming they mean temporary file system) with various mount points... Is this right?

I am at a total loss and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Partition Schema:

Device Size Type FS Type Label Mount Point
    /dev/sda 117.79GB Hitachi-HTS54321
    /dev/sda1 94.10MB Dell Utility FAT DellUtility
    /dev/sda2 39.32GB HPFS/NTFS NTFS WinXP /windows/C
    /dev/sda3 72.38GB Extended
    /dev/sda5 47.06GB HPFS/NTFS NTFS Data /home
    /dev/sda6 2.01GB Linux swap Swap swap
    /dev/sda7 23.29GB Linux Native Ext4 /
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /dev/shm
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /run
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /var/lock
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /var/run
    tmpfs 1.93GB TMPFS Tmpfs /media

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSUSE 12.1 Fresh install error: Call to lnusertemp failed

The only problem I see off hand is an attempt to use a NTFS partition for /home. When you log in as root, you don't use /home and if a regular user does not work and root does work, then the reason is the type of partition you are trying to use as /home. openSUSE can not properly use a NTFS or FAT32 partition. I suggest you log in as root, umount /home, reformat as EXT4 and remount as /home (can be done in the Partitioner). Once complete, create a new user again and log out as root and log in as the new user. If that is too hard, just reinstall openSUSE and this time, don't use a NTFS partition for /home OR do not create a separate /home if you need that NTFS partition for something else. Also, with all of openSUSE installed into an Extended Partition, your must load the Grub bootloader into the Master Boot Record (MBR). Except for the /home partition type, I see nothing else wrong with your setup.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

You should of course never use non-native Linux file systems for your Linux system. Linux is able to use non Linux file systems like NTFS, but use that only for exchanging with non-Linux systems. Those NTFS, etc, file systems lack a lot of the features needed on a Linux system. They are partly faked on Linux, but that does not make them suitable for full Linux usage.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by jcrenfro View Post
    I deleted the user with YaST, manually removed the /home/myUser directory, and recreated the user with YaST - which in turn recreated the appropriate /home/myUser directory with owner ser to 'root' and group set to 'users'. Shouldn't the owner be 'myUser'?
    Obviously you should not use ntfs for your /home partition. I would boot in text mode (run level 3), log in as root, delete the user(s), unmount /home and reformat this partition in ext4, create the user(s) again ... or just reinstall if it sounds easier (but don't forget to format /home!)

Quote Originally Posted by jcrenfro View Post
    Also, if you look at the partition table below, there are 6 tmpfs devices registered (I am assuming they mean temporary file system) with various mount points... Is this right?
    They are all in RAM and irrelevant here.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I had no clue that /home couldn't be NTFS! Sorry for my tardy response, I have been out of the country and have had very limited internet access. I will try reformatting the /home partition and report the results here.

Best Regards,