Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Tried kernels 3.4.0-1.1-x86_64 and 3.4.0-25.1-x86_64 this morning


    amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run had the following log,


    Code:
    Detected a previous installation, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh
    Code:
     Dryrun uninstall succeeded continuing with installation.
     Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
     Forcing uninstall of AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver.
     No integrity verification is done.
     restore of system environment completed
     Uninstall fglrx driver complete.
     For detailed log of uninstall, please see /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log
     System must be rebooted to avoid system instability and potential data loss.
     /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh completed with 0
     [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
     [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
     [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
     AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
     doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
     rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
     make -C /lib/modules/3.4.0-1-desktop/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
     make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-1-obj/x86_64/desktop'
     /usr/src/linux-3.4.0-1/arch/x86/Makefile:96: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
       CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
     /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘kasInitExecutionLevels’:
     /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4157:5: error: ‘cpu_possible_map’ undeclared (first use in this function)
     /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4157:5: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
     /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:4157:5: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect [-Wunused-value]
     make[4]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
     make[3]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
     make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
     make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
     make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-1-obj/x86_64/desktop'
     make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
     build failed with return value 2
     [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
     [Reboot] Kernel Module : mkinitrd



    Anyone any recommendations?


    Back to 12.1 kernel?


    Or wait?


    Code:
    <2012May25><11:09><~/Updates/Tumbleweed_12.1/ati>  inxi -F
    Code:
     System:    Host: linux-qz4c Kernel: 3.4.0-1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit)  
                Desktop KDE 4.8.3 Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) VERSION = 12.1 CODENAME  
     Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: A780GM-LE Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.10 date: 02
     CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 940 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 ss
                Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 3000.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz          
     Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]               
                X.Org: 1.10.4 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1680x1050@60.0hz      
                GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
     Audio:     Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
     Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (8.5% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD5000AAKS 500.1GB  
     Partition: ID: / size: 60G used: 7.7G (14%) fs: rootfs ID: / size: 60G used: 7.7G (14%) fs: ext4  
                ID: /home size: 404G used: 33G (9%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap  
     Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
     Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 0:20 Memory: 1456.7/3708.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ukraine, Kharkov
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    After updete to 3.4.0 from Tumbleweed Ati don't work from repo Index of /mirror/ati/openSUSE_12.1 to.
    Code:
    Creating /var/log/boot.msg
    doneCheck for rebuild the fglrx kernel module if necessary ...
       The fglrx kernel module does not exist! I build it NOW. Please wait ...
    <notice -- May 25 16:03:07.650561000> service boot.klog done
       FATAL: The fglrx kernel module could not be built!
    Check for the fglrx kernel module is running...
       The fglrx kernel module is not loaded! Try it to modprobe now ...
    FATAL: Module fglrx not found.
       FATAL: The fglrx kernel module could not loaded!
    failed
    <notice -- May 25 16:03:21.939284000> service boot.fglrxrebuild done
    System Boot Control: The system has been set up
    Failed features: boot.fglrxrebuild
    Skipped features: boot.cycle
    How to fix it?
    openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 | Kernel 3.7.10-1.28-desktop | KDE 4.11.5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    FWIW I tried to go back to kernel-desktop-3.3.6-1.1.x86_64 but could not find one at Index of /

    looking round, linux-3.3.7.tar.bz2 was found at PCHome.de Startseite - News, Download, Software, Spiele

    this was compiled (took a long time, about an hour?) and 3.3.7-3-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) installed

    after which the amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run ran ok

    all is now back as it was before (hopefully), googleearth, tvtime and mtt ok

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,500
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    FWIW I tried to go back to kernel-desktop-3.3.6-1.1.x86_64 but could not find one at Index of /

    looking round, linux-3.3.7.tar.bz2 was found at PCHome.de Startseite - News, Download, Software, Spiele

    this was compiled (took a long time, about an hour?) and 3.3.7-3-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) installed

    after which the amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run ran ok

    all is now back as it was before (hopefully), googleearth, tvtime and mtt ok
    You can use my SAKC bash script to load any kernel version you find at The Linux Kernel Archives, just don't use a kernel version older than the distribution was released with.

    S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.71 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    You can get ANY kernel version released since the year 2005 with this bash script if its not at kernel.org:

    S.G.T.B. - SuSE Git Kernel Tarball Creator - Version 1.80 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Use the following pre-defined kernel source git domain in SGTB called: Linux-Stable.git @ Kernel.org

    Just let me know if you have any questions.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney,Australia
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Quote Originally Posted by ILYA_INDIGO View Post
    After updete to 3.4.0 from Tumbleweed Ati don't work from repo Index of /mirror/ati/openSUSE_12.1 to.
    Code:
    Creating /var/log/boot.msg doneCheck for rebuild the fglrx kernel module if necessary ...    The fglrx kernel module does not exist! I build it NOW. Please wait ...  service boot.klog done    FATAL: The fglrx kernel module could not be built! Check for the fglrx kernel module is running...    The fglrx kernel module is not loaded! Try it to modprobe now ... FATAL: Module fglrx not found.    FATAL: The fglrx kernel module could not loaded! failed  service boot.fglrxrebuild done System Boot Control: The system has been set up Failed features: boot.fglrxrebuild Skipped features: boot.cycle
    How to fix it?
    I have same issue and was googling to find some info. Gentoo Forums :: View topic - kernel 3.3.4 -> 3.4 issues i don't know how to work with it, so i dint try. let me know if it works for you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ukraine, Kharkov
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    hrudaireddy, thank you for your answer.
    It was not helpful for me, but I realized that the problem is larger than I expected.

    By the way, NVIDIA 302 on kernel 3.4 is not building too!
    I had to roll back on both computers to kernel 3.1.10 from Update
    It is interesting precisely because of this problem is skipped 4 alpha, is likely, and beta 12.2?
    openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 | Kernel 3.7.10-1.28-desktop | KDE 4.11.5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Thanks for the info on the Gentoo patch,
    it was installed manually but got nowhere,
    so its kernel 3.3 and catalyst 12.4 for now.

    ps. also thanks for the kernel.org hint,
    I'm now using kernel 3.3.7 from 'http://www.kernel.org/'
    How can this kernel be deleted when the time comes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Had another play with the patch and the catalyst driver has now installed ok

    The following worked

    all has to be done with root privilages, extreme caution needed.

    Code:
    1. ran cmd    sh amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
       - installed and ended with failure message
    
    2. inserted a new line, so changed file looked as follows
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_ioctl.c
    line
    216    /** \brief Allocate user space for 32-bit app making 64-bit IOCTL
    217    *  \param size [in] Number of bytes to allocate
    218    *  \return Pointer to allocated memory
    219    */
    220
    221    DEFINE_PER_CPU(unsigned long, old_rsp);
    222    
    223    void* ATI_API_CALL KCL_IOCTL_AllocUserSpace32(long size)
    
    3. changed one line in file so it looked as follows
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c
    line
    4153    static int kasInitExecutionLevels(unsigned long level_init)
    4154    {
    4155    unsigned int p;
    4156    KCL_DEBUG5(FN_FIREGL_KAS, "%d\n", level_init);
    4157    for_each_possible_cpu(p)
    4158    {
    4195    KCL_DEBUG1(FN_FIREGL_KAS,"Setting initial execution level for CPU # %d\n", p);
    
    4. ran cmd in the shown directory
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod # sh make.sh
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
    make -C /lib/modules/3.4.0-2-desktop/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2-obj/x86_64/desktop'
    /usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2/arch/x86/Makefile:96: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: "old_rsp" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      CC      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2-obj/x86_64/desktop'
    build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    linux-qz4c:/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod # 
    
    5. ran cmd in the shown directory
    /lib/modules/fglrx # ./make_install.sh
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
    WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
    done.
    Rebooted

    Linux 3.4.0-2-desktop x86_64, openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.8.3 (4.8.3) "release 5"
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 2D driver: fglrx, 3D driver: ATI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney,Australia
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    Had another play with the patch and the catalyst driver has now installed ok

    The following worked

    all has to be done with root privilages, extreme caution needed.

    Code:
    1. ran cmd    sh amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
       - installed and ended with failure message
    
    2. inserted a new line, so changed file looked as follows
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_ioctl.c
    line
    216    /** \brief Allocate user space for 32-bit app making 64-bit IOCTL
    217    *  \param size [in] Number of bytes to allocate
    218    *  \return Pointer to allocated memory
    219    */
    220
    221    DEFINE_PER_CPU(unsigned long, old_rsp);
    222    
    223    void* ATI_API_CALL KCL_IOCTL_AllocUserSpace32(long size)
    
    3. changed one line in file so it looked as follows
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c
    line
    4153    static int kasInitExecutionLevels(unsigned long level_init)
    4154    {
    4155    unsigned int p;
    4156    KCL_DEBUG5(FN_FIREGL_KAS, "%d\n", level_init);
    4157    for_each_possible_cpu(p)
    4158    {
    4195    KCL_DEBUG1(FN_FIREGL_KAS,"Setting initial execution level for CPU # %d\n", p);
    
    4. ran cmd in the shown directory
    /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod # sh make.sh
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
    make -C /lib/modules/3.4.0-2-desktop/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2-obj/x86_64/desktop'
    /usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2/arch/x86/Makefile:96: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_iommu.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl.o
      CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: "old_rsp" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      CC      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
      LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.0-2-obj/x86_64/desktop'
    build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    linux-qz4c:/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod # 
    
    5. ran cmd in the shown directory
    /lib/modules/fglrx # ./make_install.sh
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
    WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
    done.
    Rebooted

    Linux 3.4.0-2-desktop x86_64, openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.8.3 (4.8.3) "release 5"
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 2D driver: fglrx, 3D driver: ATI
    That is of great help and it worked like a charm. Good Work.
    Cheers !!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: Warning: kernel 3.4 & AMD catalyst 12.4 not compatible

    Updated today to kernel 3.4.0-26-desktop x86_64 (64 bit)

    Catalyst12.4 only installed with the changes described above

    The only difference noted during the install was that the

    WARNING: "old_rsp" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefined!

    did not occur!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •