Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Vostro 360: Native monitor resolution is not recognized and unable to use two monitors

Question Dell Vostro 360: Native monitor resolution is not recognized and unable to use two monitors

Hi

I got to install OpenSUSE 12.1 in my Dell Vostro 360 with "nomodeset". However, OpenSUSE is not able to detect monitor resolution (1920 x 1080) and works at 1024x768 os something similar, not the monitor native resolution. Moreover, is not able to detect my two monitors. Dell Vostro is a "all in one" computer, so in the monitor are all hardware (hd, mb, DVD reader, etc), and have a VGA conector to connect an external monitor. With Win 7, I can use the "native" monitor plus an external monitor, but in Linux there is a problem. OpenSUSE does'nt recognize the integrated monitor resolution and even is not able to detect more than that monitor (the external monitor is not detected).

Any idea?

Thank you

Default Re: Dell Vostro 360: Native monitor resolution is not recognized and unable to use two monitors

You'll need to supply details about your graphics card. Use this command
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Just post the output relating to the graphics chipset and driver in use.

The next thing to look at is the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any messages relating to the detected display device(s). If you want to share that info, upload it to SUSE Paste
    and post the link to it here.

Default Re: Dell Vostro 360: Native monitor resolution is not recognized and unable to use two monitors

I got to install OpenSUSE 12.1 in my Dell Vostro 360 with "nomodeset".
    Does openSUSE boot okay without this parameter?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Does openSUSE boot okay without this parameter?
    In this thread I asked about that and was solved (I don't know how to change the subject mistake about OpenSUSE version).

I posted the lspci output in this link .
    Will we need something more?

Thank you

Your graphics chipset:

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
    	Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0512]
    No driver is reported, and as you are using nomodeset, it is likely that a framebuffer driver is in use. That will provide only limited performance and display resolution. You're going to have to follow my advice in the last post regarding examining Xorg.0.log....

Hello again

Well, I put "nomedeset" the first time to get a sucessfull instalation, but really I don'tknow if after the installation that parameter is automatically established by OpenSUSE. In this link is the Xorg.log content, but I see no errors or something I could understand as it.

I don't know how to follow at this point

Thank you

The Xorg.0.log confirms that the fbdev (framebuffer) driver is in use, rather than the intel driver. It also shows that 1280x1024 is set (using a built-in mode)
    Code:
    [    17.997] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor...
    [    17.997] (--) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
    [    17.997] (**) FBDEV(0):  Built-in mode "current": 131.1 MHz, 80.3 kHz, 76.6 Hz
    [    17.997] (II) FBDEV(0): Modeline "current"x0.0  131.09  1280 1312 1472 1632  1024 1028 1032 1048 -hsync -vsync -csync (80.3 kHz)
    [    17.997] (==) FBDEV(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
    [    17.997] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
    Your 'nomodeset' parameter is almost certainly still present in the relevant boot entry within /boot/grub/menu.lst, so start by looking at that. This is a system file, so you'll need to take care when editing (with root privileges)

If using KDE, you can edit like this
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
    For Gnome
    Code:
    gnomesu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Now if removing 'nomodeset' causes the X-server to fall over, then reboot in 'failsafe' mode, and reinstate again.

These guides may be a useful to you

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2165620

Hello

I supress "nomodeset" from grub launcher for OpenSUSE and I rebooted the PC. The Grub menu appeared as it should do, but from here, these is what happened:
    - Image only appeared in the external monitor, nothing in the integrated monitor (as when trying to install without "nomodeset")
    - While terminating of loading KDE , before appearing the desktop, it takes more than 5 minutes before show the "K" with blue background that appear always when initializing KDE.

After that, was impossible to work fine with KDE. Mouse was moving so slow that was impossible to work. Even to access to the menu button was a headache.

Accesing to console with Ctrl+Shift+F1 a got to copy the Xorg in this situation.

What to do now??

Thank you

- While terminating of loading KDE , before appearing the desktop, it takes more than 5 minutes before show the "K" with blue background that appear always when initializing KDE.
    With the standard openSUSE flavoured KDE desktop, I'm not familiar with the 'K' and blue background - I'm assuming this must be unique to your configuration.

Your Xorg.0.log shows that two displays are detected, and EDID read in successfully

Code:
    [    23.841] (II) intel(0): EDID for output eDP1
    [    23.841] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: CHR  Model: 608  Serial#: 880
    [    23.841] (II) intel(0): Year: 2011  Week: 21
    [    23.841] (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.4
    [    26.767] (II) intel(0): Output eDP1 connected
    [    26.767] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 connected
    but it then sets the resolution incorrectly
    Code:
    [    26.767] (II) intel(0): Using fuzzy aspect match for initial modes
    [    26.767] (II) intel(0): Output eDP1 using initial mode 1024x768
    [    26.767] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 using initial mode 1024x768
    Now, it is possible to override this 'automatic' configuration, and set the desired resolution manually, but you have more major issues going on with the desktop behaviour/performance. You might want to try disabling the 'Desktop Effects' via

System Settings >> Enable desktop effects at startup

However, that won't fix the resolution issue, and may not be enough to provide a usable desktop either. As this chipset is relatively new, it is likely that the intel graphics driver will continue to improve with respect to its support and performance with this chipset. Therefore, I suggest you may want to try testing with a recent 12.2 milestone release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast