Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Certain videos downloaded from YouTube won't play -- getting error message

Default Certain videos downloaded from YouTube won't play -- getting error message

I've noticed recently when using Kaffeine that quite a few videos I download from YouTube won't play and, instead, generate this message (each message differs only in the file name):

Cannot find demux plugin for MRL "file:///home/gil/Desktop/Didier_Zokora_intikam_-_YouTube.flv".

If I try using KMplayer rather than Kaffeine I don't get the message, just a black screen.

Other flash videos that I've downloaded in the past play just fine using either Kaffeine or KMplayer.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

SuSE 11.4 64 bit.
    Kaffeine v. 1.1 Using KDE Development Platform 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6

KMplayer v. 0.11.3c

Oh, and I'm using the Firefox extension Downloadhelper v 4.9.9 to grab the video from the Internet.

Many thanks.
    socref

Default Re: Certain videos downloaded from YouTube won't play -- getting error message

Oh, I forgot to say that I did search these forums and found several references to the problem, the most recent from January of this year under the thread title:
    Kaffiene error when playing certain flv videos (yes, there is a typo in the thread name). But there have been no replies to that January request for help.

I also searched on Google and found many references to the problem but suggestions for Ubuntu, not for SuSE.

Thanks for your help.

socref

Default Re: Certain videos downloaded from YouTube won't play -- getting error message

OK, let me try to post this again. The first attempt seems to have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by socref View Post
    I've noticed recently when using Kaffeine that quite a few videos I download from YouTube won't play and, instead, generate this message (each message differs only in the file name):

Cannot find demux plugin for MRL "file:///home/gil/Desktop/Didier_Zokora_intikam_-_YouTube.flv".

If I try using KMplayer rather than Kaffeine I don't get the message, just a black screen.

Other flash videos that I've downloaded in the past play just fine using either Kaffeine or KMplayer.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

SuSE 11.4 64 bit.
    Kaffeine v. 1.1 Using KDE Development Platform 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6

KMplayer v. 0.11.3c

Oh, and I'm using the Firefox extension Downloadhelper v 4.9.9 to grab the video from the Internet.

Many thanks.
    socref
    I searched Youtube for "Didier_Zokora_intikam" and I found two possible matches:
    Didier Zokora intikam - YouTube
    Is one of those the video you are after?

I can say that it works here. Both in Kaffeine and in SMPlayer.

Cannot find demux plugin
    SMPlayer tells me that it uses "lavfprep - libavformat preferred demuxer". Searching YaST for "lavfpref" yields no results. Searching for "libavformat" however finds the packages
    libavformat52
    libavformat53
    So, maybe that is what you need? They come both from Packman.

Blog Entries

Use smplayer or vlc
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post

I searched Youtube for "Didier_Zokora_intikam" and I found two possible matches:
    Is one of those the video you are after?

I can say that it works here. Both in Kaffeine and in SMPlayer.

(snip)
    Thanks for reply. Perhaps I was not clear in my posts.

Yes, that is the video clip.

I can play it by clicking on either of the YouTube links you provided (or on any of numerous other places on the Internet where the video appears). Playing directly from the Internet has never been the problem .

The problem comes when I save (download) the video to my desktop. From there this flash video (and numerous others) won't play. But others that were downloaded weeks or months ago play just fine.

Now, interestingly the links you provided offer me an mp4 version (which was not offered at any of the links I had used when viewing the video clip after it was posted to YouTube a few days ago). That mp4 version downloaded to the desktop and played just fine using either Kaffeine or KMplayer. But the .flv version from both links doesn't play.

So the issue still is how to make the flash version of this video (and other clips) play when downloaded to my desktop.

Thanks!
    socref

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Use smplayer or vlc
    Thx, CAF, but neither SMplayer nor VLC will play this flash video clip. However, other flash videos and other formats play just fine.

socref

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post

(snip)

SMPlayer tells me that it uses "lavfprep - libavformat preferred demuxer". Searching YaST for "lavfpref" yields no results. Searching for "libavformat" however finds the packages
    libavformat52
    libavformat53
    So, maybe that is what you need? They come both from Packman.
    Thx.

I have libavformat53 on the pooter. I do not have libavformat52.

Is "53" an updated version that replaces "52," or should I have them both?

Thx
    socref

Thanks for reply. Perhaps I was not clear in my posts.

Yes, that is the video clip.

I can play it by clicking on either of the YouTube links you provided (or on any of numerous other places on the Internet where the video appears). Playing directly from the Internet has never been the problem .

The problem comes when I save (download) the video to my desktop. From there this flash video (and numerous others) won't play. But others that were downloaded weeks or months ago play just fine.

Now, interestingly the links you provided offer me an mp4 version (which was not offered at any of the links I had used when viewing the video clip after it was posted to YouTube a few days ago). That mp4 version downloaded to the desktop and played just fine using either Kaffeine or KMplayer. But the .flv version from both links doesn't play.

So the issue still is how to make the flash version of this video (and other clips) play when downloaded to my desktop.

Thanks!
    socref
    I downloaded the clips as .flv and then tried to play them too. Which worked both in Kaffeine and SMPlayer. I think it was actually me who wasn't very clear.

Thx.

I have libavformat53 on the pooter. I do not have libavformat52.

Is "53" an updated version that replaces "52," or should I have them both?

Thx
    socref
    I have both 52 and 53 showing in the Packman repo (11.4; 64bit). To be honest I have no idea if you need them both or if one obsoletes the other.

I just tried to play the same .flv on my SuSE 12.0 64 bit laptop. Same error message. Same problem. Won't play in Kaffeine or KMplayer.

Very frustrating.
    socref

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast