Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nvidia ion 2 hdmi audio

Hybrid View

Default nvidia ion 2 hdmi audio

Hey,
    Im new to the forums so sorry if this has been covered but the search feature and Google has yielded no results. So I have a zotac zboz mini pc with a intel 525 atom processor , ion 2 graphics and im running a fresh opensuse 12.1 kde 4.7 install.. Im trying to get audio over hdmi.

What ive tried,
    - installing nvidia driver 295
    - installing pulse-audio and fiddling with the setting i.e turning off analog audio and setting it only to hdmi audio. turning on and off, ect...
    - rebooting
    - logging out
    - yelling, alcohol, screaming.

Nothing has worked so far. I really love opensuse and do not want to go back to kubuntu or worse unity. It seems though that ubuntu is the only operating system other than windows that can get audio through my hdmi cable.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: nvidia ion 2 hdmi audio

Quote Originally Posted by calev View Post
    Hey,
    Im new to the forums so sorry if this has been covered but the search feature and Google has yielded no results. So I have a zotac zboz mini pc with a intel 525 atom processor , ion 2 graphics and im running a fresh opensuse 12.1 kde 4.7 install.. Im trying to get audio over hdmi.

What ive tried,
    - installing nvidia driver 295
    - installing pulse-audio and fiddling with the setting i.e turning off analog audio and setting it only to hdmi audio. turning on and off, ect...
    - rebooting
    - logging out
    - yelling, alcohol, screaming.

Nothing has worked so far. I really love opensuse and do not want to go back to kubuntu or worse unity. It seems though that ubuntu is the only operating system other than windows that can get audio through my hdmi cable.

Please any help would be appreciated.
    I would read through the following blog about using PulseAudio and follow its advice.

http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/old...avucontrol-96/

Now PulseAudio is the default with openSUSE 12.1 and it is not recommended you uninstall it only to reinstall it later as I am not sure what that would do for you. As for nVIDIA, if it is their audio you are trying to use, it can be made the default in Pulse. Actually, I must do the reverse on my PC and the nVIDIA audio is always the default on my rig and I must disable it so to use my add-in audio card.

Read through the blog and then ask more questions.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I would read through the following blog about using PulseAudio and follow its advice.

Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Now PulseAudio is the default with openSUSE 12.1 and it is not recommended you uninstall it only to reinstall it later as I am not sure what that would do for you. As for nVIDIA, if it is their audio you are trying to use, it can be made the default in Pulse. Actually, I must do the reverse on my PC and the nVIDIA audio is always the default on my rig and I must disable it so to use my add-in audio card.

Read through the blog and then ask more questions.

Thank You,
    i didn't uninstall pulse audio, if it was already installed i suppose i must have just installed the control center. Really though i have gone through every option in the control center without anything changing. there isn't really a whole lot there. After my final tomorrow i will read the whole guide but i feel like its something else. weird thing though, is in the control center it looks like some of the artwork for the program is missing.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nvidia ion 2 hdmi audio

i didn't uninstall pulse audio, if it was already installed i suppose i must have just installed the control center. Really though i have gone through every option in the control center without anything changing. there isn't really a whole lot there. After my final tomorrow i will read the whole guide but i feel like its something else. weird thing though, is in the control center it looks like some of the artwork for the program is missing.
    So we can't see what you see and thus can't tell for sure just what you are missing. Perhaps the guide will help you pick up what is wrong. If your computer has two or more audio devices, only the first one found will be used. How many audio devices does your computer have? Don't know? Then you need to read more such as the suggested guide. As I mentioned before, I have an nVIDIA video with HDMI audio and a separately installed Creative audio card. PulseAudio always uses the HDMI by default on my PC and not the Sound Blaster sound card. I must go into Pulse and disable the nVIDIA sound to make my other sound card work. No amount of fiddling else wise makes any difference. Think about it. And good luck with your Final!

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So we can't see what you see and thus can't tell for sure just what you are missing. Perhaps the guide will help you pick up what is wrong. If your computer has two or more audio devices, only the first one found will be used. How many audio devices does your computer have? Don't know? Then you need to read more such as the suggested guide. As I mentioned before, I have an nVIDIA video with HDMI audio and a separately installed Creative audio card. PulseAudio always uses the HDMI by default on my PC and not the Sound Blaster sound card. I must go into Pulse and disable the nVIDIA sound to make my other sound card work. No amount of fiddling else wise makes any difference. Think about it. And good luck with your Final!

Thank You,
    I tried making a reply already but it didnt seem to work.I just wanted to add I have hdmi audio selected in pulse audio control panel.There is two devices listed, internal and hdmi. the control panel tells me youtube is sending audio to the hdmi cable.I disabled internal audio. Ive tested audio with a cable(not through hdmi) and it works. As far as i can tell, it just doesnt work. At least without some kind of hack. This is very frustrating.

I tried making a reply already but it didnt seem to work.I just wanted to add I have hdmi audio selected in pulse audio control panel.There is two devices listed, internal and hdmi. the control panel tells me youtube is sending audio to the hdmi cable.I disabled internal audio. Ive tested audio with a cable(not through hdmi) and it works. As far as i can tell, it just doesnt work. At least without some kind of hack. This is very frustrating.
    Alright so i read the guide. Didn't really help. I switched to xubuntu for now. not really happy about that. Not all my hdmi audio devices were being listed in suse's pulse audio. there were four in ubuntu and only the fourth one worked. It sucks but i guess ill come back for the next release and see if its fixed then. So yeah if anybody is having trouble's with nvidia ion hdmi audio, your not alone.

I think what you need here is to configure your sound for
    simultaneous sound output to hdmi and HD audio controller.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Blog Entries

I would like to help, but it won't be an instantaneous solution, but could take many iterations as information is exchanged on your hardware and software setup, and on results of various tests we have you run to see why its not working for you, and results of possible configuration file changes. The first thing I would nominally request is more information, which is provided by running the diagnostic script :
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    which if the SHARE/UPLOAD option is selected uploads one's audio information to an alsa paste site, from which one can then post here that website URL, and we can analyze the PC configuration and provide recommendations for tests and where necessary configuration changes, to ensure all HDMI possibilities are present to configure. But again - this could take time as we also have things going on in our lives and support may not be immediate.

However I see you have moved to xubuntu. Best wishes there with that GNU/Linux version. Colleagues in our office GNU/Linux group use Ubuntu (or derivatives) and they are happy with that.

Thanks, if you thinks its possible to fix, I will try again. It will be a couple hours before i can get everything set up again. Im not happy with xubuntu. I usually go with kde so opensuse is the best option for that desktop. Especially for kde 3. I would be happy with any amount of help and im sure it will be at least educational.

Thanks again for helping, I reinstalled with a kde 3.5 opensuse 12.1 live cd. I still had no audio, so i installed pulse audio control panel and tried running the script. The scipt wasnt there so i thought also might not be installed. I installed The nvidia driver and then installed alsa and ran the script. For some reason there is no sound cards in pulse now. Nothing works, but here is the url the script gave me. http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=dc...0212e12d7ccfe5

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I would like to help, but it won't be an instantaneous solution, but could take many iterations as information is exchanged on your hardware and software setup, and on results of various tests we have you run to see why its not working for you, and results of possible configuration file changes. The first thing I would nominally request is more information, which is provided by running the diagnostic script :
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    which if the SHARE/UPLOAD option is selected uploads one's audio information to an alsa paste site, from which one can then post here that website URL, and we can analyze the PC configuration and provide recommendations for tests and where necessary configuration changes, to ensure all HDMI possibilities are present to configure. But again - this could take time as we also have things going on in our lives and support may not be immediate.

However I see you have moved to xubuntu. Best wishes there with that GNU/Linux version. Colleagues in our office GNU/Linux group use Ubuntu (or derivatives) and they are happy with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast