shutdown requires root permitions

I install opensuse 12.1 on my computer. It works fine, but I cannot shutdown or reboot the system as a normal user. I already checked the logout tab on Configuration Center > System Management > Logon Screen. For local and remote, all users are allowed to shutdown and reboot the system. The command /sbin/shutdown is also the correct own. But it still required root permissions. What else can be wrong?

How are you trying to shutdown?

I am not having problems shutting down from KDE or XFCE or Gnome.

From a virtual terminal (you get there with CTRL-ALT-F1), you should also be able to shutdown with CTRL-ALT-DEL (might need to do that twice).

Direct use of “/sbin/shutdown” does require root. So use the other ways of shutting down.

This is an excerpt from my /etc/icewm/preferences (no linebreaks within the quotation marks):

#  Command to shutdown the system
ShutdownCommand="dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop"

#  Command to reboot the system
RebootCommand="dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart"

I just tried the reboot command as ordinary user and it rebooted as expected.
– Yarny

I use KDE and when I use the red shutdown button, nothing happens only the desktop becomes blurred. On my two other computers with exact the same software configuration, I have no trouble at all. So I try to figure out what’s going wrong. Is there any log file I can check?

Or does any of you have an idea whats going on when pushing the shutdown button? How does it work that finally the /sbin/shutdown script is started even if only root has the permissions to run it directly?

On 2012-04-20 06:46, heinogeino wrote:
>
> Or does any of you have an idea whats going on when pushing the shutdown
> button? How does it work that finally the /sbin/shutdown script is
> started even if only root has the permissions to run it directly?

policy kit?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)