Thread: Dropbox installation

Default Dropbox installation

Hi,
    I want to install dropbox on my computer SUSE 12.1, X64, KDE. I got a link from the post. After the installation, I find that is "dropbox-servicemenu. 0.15.4-1.1). When I right click a file/folder, it prompts me to some dropbox action. But it seems there is no dropbox execution at all. It only shows dropbox-servicemenu under YaST/Software Management. Could you tell me whether I can continue install the dropbox software? And please tell me a link.

Or, I have to uninstall the servicemenu first.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Dropbox installation

I found the answer to my question from a past post, see below copy please if you need. My failure installation is because the rpm does not recognized by the installer.
    My new question is this linux dropbox usage seems different from Windows version. Where can I find the description (documentation)?

Thanks.

To install .rpm packages without any issues.

"For people who are new to opensuse the complete path is: start menu - > Applications -> Configure Desktop - > File Associations -> Search for rpm -> Select x-rpm under application -> In Application Preference Order select "Install/Remove Software" and click "Move Up" until it's on the first position in this list."

The instructions posted above appear to be focused on installing rpms downloaded from somewhere, but not SuSE repos ?

I generally find it best to use rpms from SuSE repositories when they are available.
    They are not always the most recent versions, but have been tweaked for the SuSE UI in many cases.

In this case, dropbox 0.7.1 can be found in the Repository HERE
    Also, you will find dropbox-servicemenu 0.15.4 HERE

Add those repos, install the rpms with Yast.

(The following is KDE centric)
    After install, you will find dropbox.desktop in /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop.
    Copy dropbox.desktop to your desktop folder.
    Click on the icon, dropbox will start and walk you through setting up an account (or connecting to existing one).

Once installed, if you right click on a file in Dolphin, you will see a series of Dropbox options in the Pop-Up Menu, such as copy the file to your public folder.
    You might have to restart Dolphin (if running while Yast installing) to get the new service to appear in the menu.

You can check your installation , in a konsole window
    Code:
    carl@PVE-LinuxSRV5:~> rpm -qa |grep dropbox
    dropbox-0.7.1-3.1.x86_64
    dropbox-servicemenu-0.15.4-1.1.noarch
    A good starting point for Package Searches can be found HERE.
    Be aware that "Factory" repos represent the bleeding edge, and you might get bloody using them unless you are careful, as many packages there have advanced dependencies that can muck up your system when they install. Use with caution.

Good luck, Dropbox works well here.

Hi,
    I get the following message at the end of dropbox installation. What is wrong? My computer has a SUSE 12.1, X64, KDE.

Thanks.

Jeff-PC:/home/jeff/Downloads/nautilus-dropbox-0.7.1 # dropbox start -i
    Starting Dropbox...Done!
    Jeff-PC:/home/jeff/Downloads/nautilus-dropbox-0.7.1 #
    (dropbox:10363): Gtk-WARNING **: /root/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/liboxygen-gtk.so)

(dropbox:10363): Gtk-WARNING **: /root/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/liboxygen-gtk.so)
    which: no nautilus in (/root/.dropbox-dist:/home/jeff/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin)
    kioclient(10474): Session bus not found
    /usr/bin/xdg-open: line 322: test: KDE Development Platform: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5": integer expression expected
    /usr/bin/xdg-open: line 323: test: KDE Development Platform: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5": integer expression expected
    /usr/bin/xdg-open: line 324: test: KDE Development Platform: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5": integer expression expected

Hi,
    When I right click a folder, it pops up: Dropbox/Move to Public folder and paste URL link to Klipper
    /Copy to Public folder and paste URL link to Klipper

After I select "Move to ..." or "Copy to....", bottom right corner shows dialogue: Dropbox...........Public URL is now available in Klipper

I go to /home/public folder and find nothing there. Is it right or not. Where is the Public folder? Is it under /home/ or somewhere?

Thanks.

Hmm, the GTK messages look like dependencies (that were not loaded with the dropbox rpm.)

Did you use YAST to install?
    Nautilus is the Gnome file manager (Dolphin is the KDE file manager)

But, it does appear dropbox is working anyway, or at least partially.
    If you right click on the dropbox icon in the system tray, the top item in the menu is open the Dropbox folder.
    in my case is is /home/user/Dropbox.

Selecting that menu item should open Dolphin at the location Dropbox thinks it is at.
    Under in that folder you will see Two folders, Photos and Public.

Blog Entries

My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

For new users of sync services i would recommend Spideroak, they have a suse package on their website.
    And yes i'm aware i used my referal link, but it is a win/win situation, and it is true about the opensuse package