kgpg non functional

Just updated to 12.1 and cannot use kgpg. the gui will not show. kleopatra is brought up when I try to set keys in kmail but it doesn’t detect my keys. Have reinstalled kgpg to no avail.

Hi,

First: reinstalling may work on other OS’s -it shouldn’t but…-, it’s no use to do this on linux. What we have to do is find out why kgpg does not start. Please start it manually from a terminal window:

kgpg

This will generate output in the terminal window, copy and paste that here, between CODE tags.

As an ordinary user there was no action at all.
As superuser, I got this:
orca:/home/mlmack # kgpg
unnamed app(12578): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: “Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.”

unnamed app(12577): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

On 2012-03-31 01:36, misophist0 wrote:
> As superuser, I got this:
> orca:/home/mlmack # kgpg

What you get that way is irrelevant to your problem, the errors you get are
correct.
As a matter of fact, it may well be the cause of your problem, because it
may create files owned by root in your home directory.

Don’t do that.

Now review the ownership of all files under your home, one by one. A “find”
can be used to regenerate ownership.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I have a similar problem. Starting kgpg in terminal gives the following result:

> kgpg
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

How can I proceed to fix this?

Jon

Further my prior post, running kdesu kgpg brings up the KGpg Assistant and offers for me to proceed with configuration and key pairs.
I previously modified /home/.gnupg to change owner to myself due to an error on startup.

drwx------ 3 jfh users 4096 Sep 10 14:21 .gnupg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jfh users 39310 Sep 10 14:21 .gnupg/pubring.gpg is what I have now.

KGpg is owned by root with Group & Others having r-x permissions.

I don’t know enough about this to arbitrarily start playing with permissions.
Should I change KGpg permissions?

thanks, Jon

Replying to myself, it was fixed by a restart. I guess merely changing the ownership was insufficient without a restart.
jon