Moderator Probably Should Moderate More?

I love the whole plethora of openSUSE projects, and am a big fan of all the Open Source efforts. But I notice more and more bad mouthing and blame, and unwarranted ‘stupid’ remarks filling up the forums where useful information should be posted.

The trend for many Linux Operating Systems to want to be EVERYTHING Open Source has to offer, all at the same time, makes for a heck of a task for a Developer Community to have to get 110% “Right” at every release date. openSUSE is the ONLY one to get it close. Ubuntu is okay, but very limiting and insidious almost like a Microsoft “Mole” in my opinion.

I personally have reverted back to simpler stuff like Arch Linux. With simpler Windows Managers like LXDE or Open Box, everything is just easier to work with.

But I also wanted to remind people, when Installing, its not always the ‘best’ practice to ‘check’ every installable package; like every Desktop, everything, which many people do. Go with the minimum packages you need. Things can be added later. But to install like 50 Gigs of packages, and expect everything to work flawlessly, is pretty much to expect, FOR NOTHING!

Also realize, not every iso downloaded is perfect. Before you fill up forum pages with complaints, make sure your stuff is downloaded and installed correctly. Make sure your iso is good. Download with a Torrent when possible, to get the best iso Download. Out of 5 Downloads of openSUSE iso, I only got 2 perfect ones. I can usually tell when I start the install, if it goes spooky lightening fast, I know its a good one. openSUSE goes like gang busters if the iso is good, and if not, it goes s l o w.

I still run my openSUSE all the time to see how things work, because it does work better than just about anything out there. To configure Arch Linux is a chore. I can cheat, by looking at openSUSE, and carry that knowledge over to Arch.

I wish the openSUSE forum moderators would delete a lot of the negative stuff, simply because it takes up a lot of valuable time to sift through the ****, and honestly, its not warranted. Furthermore, if people want Open Source to work like Windows, perhaps they should stay with Microsoft! And to want it to be Apple, stay with Apple! If its the freedom and less expense of Linux/BSD that turns you on, then try to learn how to use it rather than expect everybody to make it work for you with another myriad ICONS to click on! As nice as KDE & GNOME is, I can not stand all that junk on my Desktop! But here again, Open Box is in fact an option with openSUSE.

Give openSUSE the respect it deserves. No other OS out there offers just about everything Open Source has to offer, under one OS! Before you gripe at openSUSE, try installing and configuring Debian, or Arch, or FreeBSD on your own. If you had, you would understand what pains these people have gone through to offer so much! It took me 12 years to get a fully functional Arch Linux system going! I am not the greatest computer wiz to have ever been born. But I scour the forums, and experiment with all the OS’s on my Virtual Box until I know whats up, then I go ahead and do a real HD Install.

Anyway, I meant to just say to the Moderators, I wish you all would delete a lot of the negative stuff. Its not warranted, and does no service to the whole Open Source community. New Comers get spooked off by it, and its not warranted. I am not justifying “censorship”, just editing, to allow for the useful facts to shine through. All the negative **** should stay in the Apple/Microsoft world where it belongs. Open Source is about getting over all those negative emotions, and being FREE! So what if a package is broken now and then? Get over it, fix it, and get on with life still smiling!

I will always have an openSUSE iso in my quiver, and run it on my VB about every week just because I know it works, and can see what I am missing on my slim screeching system. Thanks openSUSE for always being there with so much to offer all these years. Rock on!

Tschus!

Der Georg

A very short reply:

We do moderate, i.e. remove posts, move posts to f.e. the Soapbox etc. etc. But there’s a large grey area, and we don’t want to and cannot change people. If we’d remove all the negative remarks, the rants etc., that would not be very “open”. That’s why we have the T&C. As long as posters stay within these guidelines, they’re free to say what they want.

The job of a moderator is to deal with posters who violate the rules, and from what I’ve seen, they do a good job of it. Censoring comments merely because they are negative would be wholly inappropriate. If you don’t like seeing opinions that don’t conform to your own, no one’s forcing you to read them.

Seriously?

Frankly, after spending a few years over at ubuntuforums.org where one has to really watch how one phrases a post, always fearful of perhaps offending some tender little snowflake who might possibly misinterpret the meaning of a post, I find the slightly more relaxed attitudes on these forums very refreshing.

Well, this is a discussion forum. It’s not a wiki or a propaganda site. And honestly, I’ve not noticed any rampant negativity that you allude to. No one expects Open Source to work like Microsoft or Apple, but everyone wants it to work. No one else here wants to take 12 years out of their life just to get a working system. Most of us take advantage of the positives and the negatives posted in these forums and get a working system up in a matter of hours.

Oh, and what’s with all of your negativity over the Apple/Microsoft world?

On 2012-02-11 11:06, WildeGeist wrote:

> But I notice more and more bad mouthing and
> blame, and unwarranted ‘stupid’ remarks filling up the forums where
> useful information should be posted.

I haven’t.

> I wish the openSUSE forum moderators would delete a lot of the negative
> stuff, simply because it takes up a lot of valuable time to sift through
> the ****, and honestly, its not warranted.

Huh? I don’t see any of that. Perhaps you are looking somewhere else.

Perhaps your post should be deleted, it is so negative! >:-)

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 02/11/2012 11:06 AM, WildeGeist wrote:
> I notice more and more bad mouthing and
> blame, and unwarranted ‘stupid’ remarks filling up the forums where
> useful information should be posted.

i think you are right!

your post is far too negative…

it bad mouths the moderators (for not doing their job)…

and it absolutely contains both unwarranted and ‘stupid’ remarks…

i therefore vote that it be deleted to make space for my useful
information:

@Moderators, this poster is off base–you are doing a fantastic job,
thank you!

DD
Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

On the contrary. When you know how to deal with it, it’s the “easiest” and by far the fastest. You can automate everything in bash scripts, including the creation of partitions.

And vice versa.

Arch Linux is about ten years old. So you must have spent the first two years writing it. Kompliment! :wink: