Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon just refuses to load up on 12.1 x86_64

Default Cinnamon just refuses to load up on 12.1 x86_64

Hi, I'm getting when trying to load up Cinnamon "system tray not found, exiting".

GNOME Panel is installed though and GNOME Shell works fine.

Default Re: Cinnamon just refuses to load up on 12.1 x86_64

Quote Originally Posted by islandape View Post
    Hi, I'm getting when trying to load up Cinnamon "system tray not found, exiting".

GNOME Panel is installed though and GNOME Shell works fine.

I've answered this before, so please, don't fork the same old stuff...

1. The error message isn't from Cinnamon, it's from something else, most likely hp-systray.
    2. The answer for the problem is in ~/.xsession-errors
    3. Cinnamon is to be launched through GDM only (I have not tested it on KDM). It might happen you have missing dependencies, either way without the xsession logs there's nothing we can do.

Without the logs from ~/.xsession-errors there's nothing we can do except throwing wild guesses, at least I'm not doing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ketheriel
    I've answered this before, so please, don't fork the same old stuff...
    Hi
    The user was requested to start a new thread rather than tack on to an
    informational post.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop
    up 0:14, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.18, 0.21
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Hi Malcolm,

I don't really follow the forums on a daily basis and often I always search the same stuff (mainly "games"), so I most likely miss this threads. Reports should be encouraged to the bugzilla in my opinion, that way we get them always as you know

NM

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    The user was requested to start a new thread rather than tack on to an
    informational post.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop
    up 0:14, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.18, 0.21
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Quote Originally Posted by ketheriel View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

I don't really follow the forums on a daily basis and often I always search the same stuff (mainly "games"), so I most likely miss this threads. Reports should be encouraged to the bugzilla in my opinion, that way we get them always as you know

NM
    I'm current having the same problem, without said error, and since this was never answered I thought I'd have a go at it. 12.1, x64, Gnome 3.2 works fine. Installed Cinnamon from here openSUSE:GNOME Cinnamon - openSUSE

I normally get something asking if I'd like to save the repo when using 1 click but with this I did not, just thought I'd mention that. Right off the bat I got an error about typelib something not being installed, this is one of Cinnamons dependencies, if I get the exact package name I'll post it later.

I created a new user, and proceeded to login from gdm after choosing Cinnamon, and nothing obvious ever happens, it just sits there, even after a restart.

1: Cinnamon should work along side Gnome Shell, meaning run at the same time GS is running but as a different user, correct?

2: You wanted an xsession, heres mine...

SUSE Paste

Good morning l300lvl
    openSUSE 12.1 offers Gnome 3.2.1 in the official repo`s but Gnome 3.2.2 is available already in the Gnome repo Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/3.2/openSUSE_12.1
    Try and upgrade Gnome 3 using the repo suggested and then give Cinnamon a try, maybe that helps
    openSUSE Community Member: -> en.opensuse.org/User:Creatura85
    Connect Profile:
    -> connect.opensuse.org/pg/profile/creatura85
    openSUSE Romania Member: -> suseromania.ro

Quote Originally Posted by creatura85 View Post
    Good morning l300lvl
    openSUSE 12.1 offers Gnome 3.2.1 in the official repo`s but Gnome 3.2.2 is available already in the Gnome repo Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/3.2/openSUSE_12.1
    Try and upgrade Gnome 3 using the repo suggested and then give Cinnamon a try, maybe that helps
    Ok. So I did that by adding the repo and running sudo zypper dup and all seems to have went well. I restarted and checked yast and it shows gnome shell is 3.2.2 but system monitor still shows 3.2.1, should this have changed? Cinnamon is still not doing anything, it never seems to even initiate loading it when I choose it as a session and login, it just sits there and shows the default login background and a standard x cursor. Perhaps I should try removing cinnamon and reinstalling?

Is there anyone else using Cinnamon that it actually works for? I've done several updates and all result in the same nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by l300lvl View Post
    Is there anyone else using Cinnamon that it actually works for? I've done several updates and all result in the same nothingness.
    It's funny, I am getting the exact same issue. The same error appears and the same behavior as you describe occurs.

I can use gnome shell without any problems but cinnamon hangs, and the window manager apparently doesn't completely load (no system tray, no title bars or window frames as expected, when a window is opened it cannot be closed by any known means aside for opening terminal and killing it). Hotkeys do not work either. For example, I will open two windows and I cannot alt-tab between them.

The previous poster in this thread mentioned the problem does not lie with cinnamon, but I'm rather unsure at this point. It seems either an update to cinnamon itself or muffin broke things. It's a grand shame because I bloody love using it.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Etc?

I've never submitted a bug report for something like this so I guess I'm going to have to do some digging before I do so. I'm curious as to whether cinnamon has a bugtracker or anything to that effect?

Cheers

If you're using nvidia proprietary driver, read this post:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2452338

The solution is to switch to nouveau or upgrade to nvidia .295.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast