Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Drivers

Default AMD Drivers

Hey.

I have a fresh install of openSUSE 12.1 with amd 11.12 drivers for my HD5650 graphics card.
    The problem is that for some reason I cannot run the desktop effects and kwin crashes when I try to.

I have no idea what logs to post to make this more helpful but will post if requested.

Default Re: AMD Drivers

Yeah me too i have a Sapphire Radeon HD3850 and the fglrx drivers dont seem to work.
    I 've been working on it literally for two days full and i give up.

I have installed three times OpenSuse 12.1 and the result is the same. After the installation i get all
    the desktop effects with extreme lags, so i try to install proprietary drivers using this guide SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE but it fails and the PC starts without effects.

I 've tried the make rpm script or the atiupgrade tool but still no effect.

Even the radeonhd drivers don't work. Please help someone, i really need to run this system,
    i had no problems with 11.4 but 12.1 is killing me and i hate to switch to another distro cause opensuse
    is the best for me.

I'm new to all this but this is how I got mine installed. I think it's running OK anyway. Card is a HD5850. openSUSE 12.1 KDE.

At the bootscreen:

Code:
    nomodeset
    I use -nomodeset but have seen here to use nomodeset.

Once booted open a root terminal:

Code:
    mkinitrd
    Then go to the website here. I used the one click install.

That was it. Don't know if that is what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Gikoskos View Post
    Yeah me too i have a Sapphire Radeon HD3850 and the fglrx drivers dont seem to work.
    I 've been working on it literally for two days full and i give up.

I have installed three times OpenSuse 12.1 and the result is the same. After the installation i get all
    the desktop effects with extreme lags, so i try to install proprietary drivers using this guide SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE but it fails and the PC starts without effects.
    Are you using Gnome3? If so, fglrx doesn't work. No matter how you install it.

I 've tried the make rpm script or the atiupgrade tool but still no effect.
    The latest atipugrade should create the missing symlinks, that prevent hardware acceleration from working. But if you are under Gnome3, it's not going to help. fglrx is unusable with Gnome3 in most cases.

I use KDE. Is there a more standard method for this to work? I have already used the mkinitrd beforehand as i have followed the instructions on that wiki site i posted before. Please i m in desperate need tomake this system work. Any help appreciated *^_^*

I use KDE. Is there a more standard method for this to work?
    IMO, atiupgrade is the easiest.

I have already used the mkinitrd beforehand as i have followed the instructions on that wiki site i posted before.
    Whoever told you to run mkinitrd should take a look at the postinstall script of the fglrx rpm package:

Code:
    # rpm -q --scripts fglrx64_xpic_SUSE114-8.920-1 | grep -C 3 mkinitrd

if grep -q '^NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=\"no\"' /etc/sysconfig/kernel; then
        echo "Disable KMS to prevent driver issue:"
        sed -i 's/^NO_KMS_IN_INITRD.*/NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="yes"/g' /etc/sysconfig/kernel
        mkinitrd
    fi
    if grep -q '^KMS_IN_INITRD=\"yes\"' /etc/sysconfig/kernel; then
        echo "Disable KMS to prevent driver issue:"
        sed -i 's/^KMS_IN_INITRD.*/KMS_IN_INITRD="no"/g' /etc/sysconfig/kernel
        mkinitrd
    fi
    AMDCONFIG_BIN="`which aticonfig 2>/dev/null`"
    if [ -n "${AMDCONFIG_BIN}" -a -x "${AMDCONFIG_BIN}" ]; then
    It means that the installation takes care of that.

Ok then i wil reformat the PC because i messed up using the kernel from the j.eng repository and i will use the
    atiupgrade script from the beginning. Thanks for the reply i will keep you posted!

I'll check that out thanks.

Hi i run the atiupgrade script after i installed openSUSE and the fglrx drivers seem to work pretty good, thank you please_try_again!
    However i get some kind of strange artifacts that slow down sometimes the desktop even if KDE runs quite smoothly, is there a way to fix that?

Using Hipster_Doofus's method I got it all up and running. Thank you very much.

Gikoskos try running sudo aticonfig --initial once you have installed fglrx.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast