Clustering in Virtualization

Hi everyone, i need help on clustering. i was using opensuse 11.4 in a 4GB, Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Speed of 3,000.00 MHz. First i created a two virtual machine using Xen in it, then i installed pacemaker and heartbeat. But after that, i could not initialized the heartbeat.So please tell me how to get it start heartbeat to running so that i could start clustering, or if i need another machine for better performance. Thank you in advance guys.

I do think you would be placing two or more servers into a cluster and not a single server. Further, you will likely need to look closely at what each VM vendor has in the way of fail-over support with their products. I suspect you will need to look at commercial products over free ones for such an operation. Can you be more specific in what you are trying to do? Its one thing to be able to run a couple of VM’s at the same time on a single server with perhaps have full remote operation and quite another if you need two or more servers running VM’s working in a cluster to provide fail-over support for those servers. Its a stretch for most of us here to fathom what would need to be done with such a request.

Thank You,

My basic need is to build fail over support.

And how many VM sessions will you be supporting and can they be done in a single server?

Thank You,

I have been using 2 VM session on a single machine(which is not a server). And my other Q is, is it possible to use the desktop version for clustering? Thanks.

I don’t know what exactly you have in mind (and can not help with clustering), but running two vms or even three or four would be OK in kvm too - provided you can allocate them the RAM you need - and doens’t require a special kernel (unlike Xen). So yes, you can do it on a desktop system (that doesn’t need to run firefox and flash all the time or even to boot in X).

I assume you know this page: Install - ClusterLabs