Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Err Message: No Boot Device Found

Default Err Message: No Boot Device Found

Hi,

I tried to install openSUSE 12.1 on my "2010 MacBook Pro".

But after the installation, I cannot boot into the system.

An error message showing that:

No Bootable Device

So what should I do now? I'm a newbie to UNIX & LINUX. So any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Err Message: No Boot Device Found

Quote Originally Posted by EDLIU11 View Post
    Hi,

I tried to install openSUSE 12.1 on my "2010 MacBook Pro".

But after the installation, I cannot boot into the system.

An error message showing that:

No Bootable Device

So what should I do now? I'm a newbie to UNIX & LINUX. So any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed
    I don't know how many Mac users are out there using openSUSE, but I am afraid I am not going to be much help. The error means that the MBR (Master Boot Record) did not get a copy of generic boot code or Grub was not loaded into it and your BIOS (or what ever on a Mac) is complaining that no bootable device was found. Normally I suggest a reinstall and to allow Grub to be loaded into the MBR, but really, on a Mac that is a pure guess for me. I did find a nice write up that might be useful for you here:

OpenSUSE 12.1 on a 2011 MacBook Air | Community Matters

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Err Message: No Boot Device Found

Hi,

So is there anything I can do to let my MBP or iMac run openSUSE 12.1?

Thanks.

Ed

Blog Entries

Hi,

So is there anything I can do to let my MBP or iMac run openSUSE 12.1?

Thanks.

Ed
    I would say you should read the article that I posted and afterwards, reintall openSUSE paying close attention to the Install section. Make sure that the correct boot drive is first in order and that you have installed either grub into the MBR or you have placed generic boot code into the MBR.

Thank You,

Hi,

After installing GRUB in the MBR, I can now run openSUSE on my Mac Book Pro. But still FAILED if I try a "Triple Boot(OS X Lion, Windows 7, and openSUSE).

After installing OS X Lion, Windows 7, I tried to install "openSUSE" but got the following Error Messsage:

Error Occured While Installing GRUB
    Error 17: Cannot Mount Select Partition

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Ed

On 2011-12-16 08:06, EDLIU11 wrote:
    > Error 17: Cannot Mount Select Partition

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Hi,

After installing GRUB in the MBR, I can now run openSUSE on my Mac Book Pro. But still FAILED if I try a "Triple Boot(OS X Lion, Windows 7, and openSUSE).

After installing OS X Lion, Windows 7, I tried to install "openSUSE" but got the following Error Messsage:

Error Occured While Installing GRUB
    Error 17: Cannot Mount Select Partition

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Ed
    When you are installing openSUSE, is there any free space left on the hard drive? What is the hard drive size and total number of partitions before you are trying to install openSUSE? WHen you try to install openSUSE, you can use custom partitioning and see what the size of everything is. Here is some info on partitions and openSUSE.

Each hard drive can have up to four PRIMARY partitions, any of which could be marked active and bootable. No matter what you might hear, only one of the first four primary partitions can be booted from. That means you can boot from Primary partitions 1, 2, 3 or 4 and that is all. In order to boot openSUSE, you must load openSUSE and the grub boot loader into one of the first four partitions. Or, your second choice is to load the grub boot loader into the MBR (Master Boot Record) at the start of the disk. The MBR can be blank, like a new disk, it can contain a Windows partition booting code or generic booting code to boot the active partition 1, 2, 3, or 4. Or, as stated before, it can contain the grub boot loader. Why load grub into the MBR then? You do this so that you can "boot" openSUSE from a logical partition, numbered 5 or higher, which is not normally possible. In order to have more than four partitions, one of them (and only one can be assigned as extended) must be a extended partition. It is called an Extended Primary Partition, a container partition, it can be any one of the first four and it can contain one or more logical partitions within. Anytime you see partition numbers 5, 6 or higher for instance, they can only occur inside of the one and only Extended Primary partition you could have.

What does openSUSE want as far as partitions? It needs at minimum a SWAP partition and a "/" partition where all of your software is loaded. Further, it is recommended you create a separate /home partition, which makes it easier to upgrade or reload openSUSE without losing all of your settings. So, that is three more partitions you must add to what you have now. What must you do to load and boot openSUSE from an external hard drive? Number one, you must be able to select your external hard drive as the boot drive in your BIOS setup. Number two, you need to make sure that the external hard drive, perhaps /dev/sdb, is listed as the first hard drive in your grub device.map file and listed as drive hd0. I always suggest that you do not load grub into the MBR, but rather into the openSUSE "/" root primary partition which means a primary number of 1, 2, 3 or 4. If number one is used, then that will be out. You will mark the openSUSE partition as active for booting and finally you must load generic booting code into the MBR so that it will boot the openSUSE partition. I suggest a partition like this:

0. /dev/sda, Load MBR with generic booting code
    1. /dev/sda1, Primary NTFS Partition for Windows
    2. /dev/sda2, Primary SWAP (4 GB)
    3. /dev/sda3, Primary EXT4 "/" openSUSE Partition Marked Active for booting (80-120 GB)
    4. /dev/sda4, Primary EXT4 "/home" Your main home directory (Rest of the disk)

<OR>

1. /dev/sda1, Primary, booting NTFS Partition for Windows (small < 500 mb)
    2. /dev/sda2, Primary, NTFS Partition for Windows (Main / Large Partition)
    3. /dev/sda3, Primary EXT4 "/" openSUSE Partition Marked Active for booting (80-120 GB)
    4. /dev/sda4, Primary Extended Partition (Rest of Disk)
    5. /dev/sda5, Logical SWAP partition(4 GB, inside Extended)
    6. /dev/sda6, Logical EXT4 "/home" Your main home directory (Rest of the Extended partition)

<OR>

0. /dev/sdb, Load MBR with generic booting code
    1. /dev/sdb1, Primary, booting NTFS Partition for Windows (small < 500 mb)
    2. /dev/sdb2, Primary, NTFS Partition for Windows (Main / Large Partition)
    3. /dev/sdb3, Primary EXT4 "/" openSUSE Partition Marked Active for booting (80-120 GB)
    4. /dev/sdb4, Primary Extended Partition (Rest of Disk)
    5. /dev/sdb5, Logical SWAP partition(4 GB, inside Extended)
    6. /dev/sdb6, Logical EXT4 "/home" Your main home directory (Rest of the Extended partition)

Thank You,

8. Default Re: Err Message: No Boot Device Found

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I'm going to try this with my OSX dualboot.

Thanks very much sir.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wethegreenpeople View Post

Thanks very much sir.
    You are welcome wethegreenpeople. Now consider when Windows 7 loads to a blank hard drive, it may create a small, 100 megabyte partition up front from which it boots and then loading Windows 7 from the much larger partition we consider to be the C: drive second. If you force Windows 7 to install into a single existing partition, it may forgo this setup of having two partitions using only one. What ever it did, you must account for it either having a dual partition setup or just one. Good luck and let us know of your success.

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by wethegreenpeople View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post

Thanks very much sir.
    To dualboot with OSX? Are you serious?

Here's how a OSX (Leopard/Snow Leopard) + openSUSE partition table looks like:

Code:
    #  fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00002652

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1      409639      204819+  ee  GPT
    /dev/sda2          409640   352469031   176029696   af  HFS / HFS+
    /dev/sda3   *   352731176   488134983    67701904   83  Linux
    It might be different with Lion, because, AFAIK, it uses an extra recovery partition, just like Windows. But if you're able to install Lion from a DVD in a single partition, it should be the second one (sda2) from the Linux point of view. sda1 is the EFI partition. Don't touch it! Don't install Grub in MBR! Don't install generic boot code either! Install Grub in the Linux partition (bootsector of sda3) and nowhere else. To triple boot, install Windows in the last partition (sda4). Don't create a /home or swap partition. You'll create a swap file later.

triple-booting-mac-os-x-6-opensuse-windows-xp-macbook-pro-7-1

Use the option Create Partition Setup in openSUSE installation, select sda3 (that you will have created before with disk utilities under OS X). Uncheck Write generic Boot Code to MBR . You'll have to install rEFIt as mentioned in the HowTo linked aboved.

If you install a Grub2 based distro (such as Ubuntu or Fedora16) you shouldn't need rEFIt to boot GPT. I never tested though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast