Networkmanager Requires Root Privileges

Fresh install of openSUSE 12.1 (both 32 and 64 bit) KDE.

Upon the first login, tried connection to my wireless network and Networkmanager requested for **root privileges **before allowing to connect to wireless router. As far as I can remember, believe that root privileges is not required in 11.2 or other distribution.

Connection to wireless router by normal user is denied.

Is this happening to your installation and any idea if this is normal?

Yes, this is normal with this new version of NetworkManager.

I don’t like it either. It seems wrong.

Previously, network definitions were kept in your local user files. Now they are being kept centrally in a root owned directory. That change is reasonable. But requiring the root password to setup a connection is just a bad idea.

You are at a coffee shop. You want to connect to their wireless. So you have to give the root password at a place where everything you do is being videotaped. Not good.

I’m not sure what my problem is, but it does seem to be network related, so maybe this is as good a place as any to post.

I did a fresh install of 12.1 LIve KDE 64-bit. Did a software update and as far as I can tell downloaded and installed two (2) package updates: PackageKit and Flash. Now supposedly fully updated, according to PackageKit.

Firefox works fine for web-surfing, as does Flash. All appears to be working.

My problem is: no Networking icon at bottom right desktop. And Network Connections (Wired) shows NO connections.

What should I do next?

Michael

Go into Yast –> Network Devices –> Network Settings

Check whether you are in “ifup” mode or are using NetworkManager. If you are in “ifup” mode, you can change to NetworkManager if you want the icon at the bottom right. If you make that change, you might have to reboot before the network begins working again.

I’m not sure whether that is your problem, because your description is a bit vague.

On 2011-11-20 00:16, mjrice wrote:
>
> I’m not sure what my problem is, but it does seem to be network related,
> so maybe this is as good a place as any to post.

On a new thread.

> Firefox works fine for web-surfing, as does Flash. All appears to be
> working.

So you have network.

> My problem is: no Networking icon at bottom right desktop. And Network
> Connections (Wired) shows NO connections.

You probably are using system setup, via ifup. Your network is fixed? Then
don’t change it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I was having same problem as the OP. Root password was required to even “make” a connection. I finally got mad and just deleted my wifi card in Yast>network settings. After I rebooted, and the card reconfigured, this bug was gone. I was able to make connections as user.

nrickert wrote:

>
> Yes, this is normal with this new version of NetworkManager.
>
> I don’t like it either. It seems wrong.
>

It’s worse than wrong, it’s insecure. And it makes a laptop useless
for anybody without the root password (like everybody else in my
family). The current implementation won’t even allow ‘sudo’ use.

And how would a business operate? Normal users don’t get root access.

If everybody is forced to use root access, they might as well be
running WinDoh!s.

I totally agree on both points.

With 11.4 (and I’m assuming the same for 12.1), the NetworkManager policies can be set by editing the permissions of a few .pkla files located in /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/

ls -la org.freedesktop.network-manager*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 245 Oct  5 20:49 org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.hostname.modify.pkla
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 227 Oct  5 20:49 org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.modify.pkla
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 230 Oct  5 20:49 org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.wifi.share.open.pkla
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 240 Oct  5 20:49 org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.wifi.share.protected.pkla

Try this
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE%20Misc/kde-wireless-new.png

OK, with some reading and snooping on my system, I’ve got a solution for my case. YMMV.

I have this file in $HOME:

gwb@gidney:~> cat polkit.mods 
# Restore ability to connect to network without giving root password to all users.
#
#  Install via:
#  su -c 'cat polkit.mods >> /etc/polkit-default-privs.local ; set_polkit_default_privs'
#
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own              auth_admin_keep:auth_admin:yes

After installing, I can create a new wifi connection from my test user, without entering the root password.

Some notes from along the way:

• This was reported a while ago. See bug #680140](https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=680140)
  • It’s possible some of the other policies might need to be modified. This is strictly the minimum I need to change for my case.
  • I couldn’t find any of the WPA secrets in my /etc, so (I assume) it was using my per-user connection all along.
  • I think this method works for either flavor of Polkit - I’m still confused on which one is actually in use.

HTH

Hi
There are a couple of bugs on this;
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=716291
Access Denied (Linus :wink: )

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.46-0.3-default
up 0:26, 2 users, load average: 3.74, 3.41, 2.46
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

On 2011-11-17 23:36, michalng wrote:
>
> Fresh install of openSUSE 12.1 (both 32 and 64 bit) KDE.
>
> Upon the first login, tried connection to my wireless network and
> Networkmanager requested for *root privileges *before allowing to
> connect to wireless router. As far as I can remember, believe that root
> privileges is not required in 11.2 or other distribution.
>
> Connection to wireless router by normal user is denied.
>
> Is this happening to your installation and any idea if this is normal?

Bug 731812 - NetworkManager and time settings unusable for normal users,
and forced ipv6 probing

And note who writes it. >;-)

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)