KDE 4.7 in Tumbleweed?

Are there any plans for putting KDE 4.7 in Tumbleweed? KDE now is at 4.7.1, while Tumbleweed stagnates at 4.6.5. Though the OBS-repos for 11.4 still work in Tumbleweed also, this is probably not the preferred method for getting updated KDE packages.

Yes they are. The KDE 4.7.1 update is being worked on right now.
An update is expected soon.

Remember to have fun!

Romanator

Are there any problems delaying the release? Just wondering, as at the moment the standard KDE repos seem to work with Tumbleweed flawlessly and there is no obvious stuff that has to be adapted (not that I’d complain about that ;).

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:16:03 +0000, Larx wrote:

> Are there any problems delaying the release? Just wondering, as at the
> moment the standard KDE repos seem to work with Tumbleweed flawlessly
> and there is no obvious stuff that has to be adapted (not that I’d
> complain about that ;).

I’ve been traveling the past week, at the openSUSE conference, and just
now returned home and have “real work” to get to before I can get back to
the KDE 4.7.1 repo movement into Tumbleweed. It will take a few days
once it is started at the least as it needs to be tested well in the
Tumbleweed:Testing repo first, so I don’t have the same problems that
happened when 4.6 got introduced.

Patience please. Remember, Tumbleweed is “openSUSE with stable updates”,
and those stable updates don’t always happen immediately, but rather a
few weeks later in order to ensure all is well, otherwise I’ll get a lot
of complaints about how I broke things.

greg k-h

Cheers for the info, Greg. I guess many of us were wondering about KDE 4.7, yet feel like you that we’re off with stable than latest and greatest.

I do successfully run that kde4-4.7.1 overlay on Tumbleweed:
baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/47/openSUSE_11.4/

Turns out some minor package changes:
kdebase4 is not needed any more, if you pull it anyway, it wants to downgrade all to kde4-4.6.5 again

ulenrich

With the update when kdebase4-4.7.1-2.3.x86_64 was deleted, yast automatically installed
plasmoid-folderview-4.7.1-3.1.x86_64.

Suggest you check the latter is installed before proceeding further.

Hello!

Do you have any updates on getting KDE 4.7 into Tumbleweed? Are there any serious issues that need to be resolved or something?

I ask just out of mere curiosity, I don’t try to “push” or anything :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!
Cheers, Tadeas

No mystery here – check post #4, paragraph #1 :slight_smile:

I’d like to push this thread up - any news? As currently there seem to appear the first slight incompatibilities when using KDE repos for the “stock” distro (libgpgme). However, I think that currently the upcoming 12.1 takes up many ressources?

Just be patient. One of the main concerns for Tumbleweed is stability. Not “latest and greatest”. Let it also be clear, that KDE 4.7 is not a major version upgrade.

I appreciate the work done in Tumbleweed, and I appreciate I get all that for free. So please don’t take this post for trolling, it’s just the curiosity of an otherwise very pleased openSUSE-and-Tumbleweed-user!

However, for me openSUSE is about getting the best KDE distribution and thus I’d like to follow the KDE developments in Tumbleweed, too. KDE 4.7.x from the 11.4 extra repos runs stable and flawless even with Tumbleweed, so there seem to be no major stability problems. Only just recently, Tumbleweed updates begin to collide with the 11.4 KDE repos, so the need for native Tumbleweed KDE rpms arises more urgently.

KDE 4.7 definitely is an upgrade to KDE 4.6 feature- and stability-wise. E.g. KDEPIM has made the full step to Akonadi. And recent KDE repositories also include updated applications (digikam, amarok, marble, etc.) which are not yet available for Tumbleweed.

So I’d like to vote for keeping KDE - both core and apps - up-to-date in Tumbleweed :wink: !

It’s not a major version upgrade, but it fixes several bugs I encounter daily and that are very inconvenient (most of them are related to switching monitors)

It’s right that 4.7 has some stability issues - Plasma crashes quite often. Of course, it starts again in a few seconds and it doesn’t really hurt my workflow, it’s just a minor annoyance. Also Kopete icon sometimes doesn’t rotate on a new message (it changes it’s shape, but doesn’t move after that), that’s worse because occasionally I don’t notice new messages.
So I suppose there are more issues like these and they prevent it from getting to Tumbleweed - I’d just like to know which they are so I could track the progress :slight_smile: .

That would be why it isn’t in Tumbleweed. Tumbleweed uses the latest stable packages, not the latest unstable packages, as you noted. Maybe you could run the factory versions on a virtual machine, track the situation there? Let us know how they progress?

For me the KDE release packages, now at 4.7.2, for 11.4, have been working without problems for months on Tumbleweed. Especially plasma is quite stable, so I’m surprised about the problems.

Even akonadi basically works, too, but not really that satisfactorily - I fail to see any advantages in its concept, the complexitiy, however, always seems to cause minor flaws. But I guess that’s more a general KDE 4.7 than a Tumbleweed problem.

KDE 4.7.2 runs fine on my playground laptop, which has Tumbleweed GNOME 3 installed too. With exception of the Networkmanager (version conflict with GNOME3’s), but nm-applet does the job nicely. Yet others have troubles. Tumbleweed is about stability first.

I never got this crashes. But I have a very restrictiv Kwin effects config. Allmost all disabled. To find the cause you can also try to disable some effects! And what is your output of:
zypper lr -dP

#  | Alias         | Name          | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI
 1 | kder          | kder          | Yes     | Yes     |   1      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/47/openSUSE_11.4/
 2 | kdextra       | kdextra       | Yes     | Yes     |   2      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_47_openSUSE_11.4/
 3 | packman       | packman       | Yes     | Yes     |   3      | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/
 4 | tumble        | tumble        | Yes     | Yes     |   4      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/
 5 | ossupdate     | ossupdate     | Yes     | Yes     |   5      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/        

Which is fine for “zypper dup” upgrades

I also use quite extensive graphical effects (using the proprietary ATi driver, however) without any problems. I have the same KDE repos enabled as tmoravec, which seem to give quite a stable KDE experience. Thus I’d also guess that using the wrong repo combination is the reason for the instability.

The unstability was probably caused by stale config files. I purged .kde4 and haven’t noticed any crashes since (it’s been cca 12 hours). Poor video drivers might have something to do with it too (I use the open source Radeon driver). Anyway, there are still the issues with Kopete notifications (the rotating icon) and with applications that receive “highlight” (or what’s the proper English term) in the taskbar (or what’s the proper English term :slight_smile: ). I mean that applications get randomly highlighted, although there is no event that could cause it. And on the other hand, when an event occurs, the related window don’t get highlighted. E.g. when I receive a message in an open Kopete conversation, the corresponding window should start to blink in the panel. It often doesn’t.

But other than that I’m not aware of any problem.

Do you get audio notifications though ?