Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 98

Thread: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    13,978
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    Now that openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 is available for download, we'd like to know your experiences.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

    Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  2. #2
    Vahis NNTP User

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    On 01.09.2011 21:36, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > Now that openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 is available for download, we'd like
    > to know your experiences.
    >
    >

    So far good.

    I'm only a bit surprised of the kernel, see my sig...

    I just finished installing and I've configured the NFS and Samba shares
    from the server to mount as usual.

    I've also booted with systemd. Everything works fine, about an hour of
    experience only though

    I can't haven't found the usual multimedia stuff from Packaman yet.

    I'll see if the Tumbleweed-Packman stuff will work...

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.14-0.8-default "Evergreen" main host
    openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 (x86_64) 3.0.0-4-desktop in VirtualBox
    openSUSE 11.4 (i586) 3.0.3-42-desktop "Tumbleweed" in EeePC 900

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    4,310
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    I used "zypper update" to update my M3 test system to M5. That's the 32 bit version. I might later download the install media for 64 bit, and give that a try.

    Noticed thus far:

    I still can only boot the default kernel. The desktop kernel hangs at boot - it seems to hang while trying to load the kernel. This was already a problem with M3 (reported as bug 708214).

    NetworkManager now seems to work in KDE, though I have not tested this extensively. I have not yet attempted to define any network. It is running off previous definitions that existed in "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections" and previously configured in gnome.

    In KDE (seems to be KDE-4.7.1) there are two firefox launchers and two dolphin launchers in the panel. One of each looks much like the launcher from 4.6. The other uses a smaller icon and is to the right of the pager. I tried removing those (the ones with smaller icons). They remove without problems. But if I logout and login again, then they are back there.
    opensuse 13.1; KDE 4.11.5;

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    I guys thank for being on time for this milestone
    I have problem with my wireless card :
    realtek RT8188CE

    And I have this information :

    dmesg | grep realtek
    [ 10.446318] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1748 SKU: Nid=0x1d sku_cfg=0x40179a2d
    [ 10.446321] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1750 SKU: port_connectivity=0x1
    [ 10.446323] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1751 SKU: enable_pcbeep=0x1
    [ 10.446325] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1752 SKU: check_sum=0x00000007
    [ 10.446326] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1753 SKU: customization=0x0000009a
    [ 10.446328] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1754 SKU: external_amp=0x5
    [ 10.446330] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1755 SKU: platform_type=0x1
    [ 10.446331] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1756 SKU: swap=0x0
    [ 10.446333] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1757 SKU: override=0x1
    [ 10.447240] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1805 realtek: No valid SSID, checking pincfg 0x40179a2d for NID 0x1d
    [ 10.447243] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1821 realtek: Enabling init ASM_ID=0x9a2d CODEC_ID=10ec0269

    Is this a well known problem or I will stay with my wired connexion ?

    other question : when you release a milestone like that what kind of feedback to you need ?

    I have opensuse 12.1 M5 64 bits kde

    See ya

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,271

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    On 09/01/2011 04:26 PM, kimlaw95 wrote:
    >
    > I guys thank for being on time for this milestone
    > I have problem with my wireless card :
    > realtek RT8188CE
    >
    > And I have this information :
    >
    > dmesg | grep realtek
    > [ 10.446318] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1748 SKU: Nid=0x1d
    > sku_cfg=0x40179a2d
    > [ 10.446321] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1750 SKU: port_connectivity=0x1
    > [ 10.446323] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1751 SKU: enable_pcbeep=0x1
    > [ 10.446325] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1752 SKU: check_sum=0x00000007
    > [ 10.446326] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1753 SKU: customization=0x0000009a
    > [ 10.446328] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1754 SKU: external_amp=0x5
    > [ 10.446330] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1755 SKU: platform_type=0x1
    > [ 10.446331] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1756 SKU: swap=0x0
    > [ 10.446333] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1757 SKU: override=0x1
    > [ 10.447240] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1805 realtek: No valid SSID,
    > checking pincfg 0x40179a2d for NID 0x1d
    > [ 10.447243] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1821 realtek: Enabling init
    > ASM_ID=0x9a2d CODEC_ID=10ec0269
    >
    > Is this a well known problem or I will stay with my wired connexion ?


    Those messages are for your sound card. See the ALSA? They have nothing to do
    with your wireless.

    > other question : when you release a milestone like that what kind of
    > feedback to you need ?


    We need nothing as we are not developers. Other people do that, and very few of
    them are reading this. If you have really found a bug, you need to file one at
    https://bugzilla.novell.com, but before you do, we will try to fix your wireless.

    FWIW, I am connecting to the Internet using my RTL8188CE, so I know it works.

    First of all, install the rfkill package using:

    Code:
    sudo zypper in rfkill
    Next see if your network is being blocked:

    Code:
    /usr/sbin/rfkill list
    If the output indicates a "soft" block, try to clear it with

    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/rfkill unblock all
    If the output indicates a "hard" block, then turn your wifi switch on.

    Once the blocks are cleared, then run

    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
    and post the output.


    >
    > I have opensuse 12.1 M5 64 bits kde
    >
    > See ya
    >
    >



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by kimlaw95 View Post
    I guys thank for being on time for this milestone
    I have problem with my wireless card :
    realtek RT8188CE

    And I have this information :

    dmesg | grep realtek
    [ 10.446318] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1748 SKU: Nid=0x1d sku_cfg=0x40179a2d
    [ 10.446321] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1750 SKU: port_connectivity=0x1
    [ 10.446323] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1751 SKU: enable_pcbeep=0x1
    [ 10.446325] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1752 SKU: check_sum=0x00000007
    [ 10.446326] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1753 SKU: customization=0x0000009a
    [ 10.446328] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1754 SKU: external_amp=0x5
    [ 10.446330] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1755 SKU: platform_type=0x1
    [ 10.446331] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1756 SKU: swap=0x0
    [ 10.446333] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1757 SKU: override=0x1
    [ 10.447240] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1805 realtek: No valid SSID, checking pincfg 0x40179a2d for NID 0x1d
    [ 10.447243] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1821 realtek: Enabling init ASM_ID=0x9a2d CODEC_ID=10ec0269

    Is this a well known problem or I will stay with my wired connexion ?

    other question : when you release a milestone like that what kind of feedback to you need ?

    I have opensuse 12.1 M5 64 bits kde

    See ya
    I have met a same problem, After install M5, it can't recognize the wireless card. The card is intel N 1030

  7. #7

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by Vahis View Post
    On 01.09.2011 21:36, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > Now that openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 is available for download, we'd like
    > to know your experiences.
    >
    >

    So far good.

    I'm only a bit surprised of the kernel, see my sig...

    I just finished installing and I've configured the NFS and Samba shares
    from the server to mount as usual.

    I've also booted with systemd. Everything works fine, about an hour of
    experience only though

    I can't haven't found the usual multimedia stuff from Packaman yet.

    I'll see if the Tumbleweed-Packman stuff will work...

    Vahis
    --
    Waxborg
    openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.14-0.8-default "Evergreen" main host
    openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 (x86_64) 3.0.0-4-desktop in VirtualBox
    openSUSE 11.4 (i586) 3.0.3-42-desktop "Tumbleweed" in EeePC 900
    Let us know if the Tumbleweed multimedia stuff works. I'll give it a shot too if it does! Seeing as 11.4 has some problems for me, I'm eager to put 12.1 as my "production" box ASAP.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,500
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    So I just installed openSUSE 12.1 M5 as a virtual session (VirtualBOX) and it is working like a champ. I had no installation problems. If you try to download the 64 bit DVD, you get a 404 error. The bad link says:

    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...137-x86_64.iso

    But the real name link is:

    openSUSE-DVD-Build0250-x86_64.iso

    So the link is just bad for the file name, but that is the only issue that I have found. I am using 12.1 M5 right now with this message.

    Thank You,

    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  9. Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    In KDE (seems to be KDE-4.7.1) there are two firefox launchers and two dolphin launchers in the panel. One of each looks much like the launcher from 4.6. The other uses a smaller icon and is to the right of the pager. I tried removing those (the ones with smaller icons). They remove without problems. But if I logout and login again, then they are back there.
    The little launchers point to your default file manager and web browser regardless of what it is. That's a feature of 4.7. Whether or not there should be two sets...I'm presuming that will be banged out later.
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

  10. #10
    Vahis NNTP User

    Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5: Post your experiences

    On 02.09.2011 04:36, gavinto wrote:
    >
    > Vahis;2380420 Wrote:
    >> On 01.09.2011 21:36, Knurpht wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Now that openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 is available for download, we'd

    >> like
    >>> to know your experiences.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I've also booted with systemd. Everything works fine, about an hour of
    >> experience only though
    >>
    >> I haven't found the usual multimedia stuff from Packaman yet.
    >>
    >> I'll see if the Tumbleweed-Packman stuff will work...


    >
    > Let us know if the Tumbleweed multimedia stuff works. I'll give it a
    > shot too if it does! Seeing as 11.4 has some problems for me, I'm eager
    > to put 12.1 as my "production" box ASAP.


    I got it eventually working by increasingly adding stuff from Tumbleweed
    (deps).

    The more Tumbleweed it became the better it worked.

    Conclusion with my poor skills:
    Tumbleweed just works, M5 doesn't (yet) in this respect

    I'll do another install and try it as a LAMP serever.

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.14-0.8-default "Evergreen" main host
    openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 5 (x86_64) 3.0.0-4-desktop in VirtualBox
    openSUSE 11.4 (i586) 3.0.3-42-desktop "Tumbleweed" in EeePC 900

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •