Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: sax3 testers needed !!

Blog Entries

Default sax3 testers needed !!

Sax3 is a configuration tool/wizard, under development to help GNU/Linux users handle cases where X does not properly automatically configure their keyboard, video, mouse, or touchpad.

One of our moderators pointed out to me that sax3 now has a repository from where it can be easily installed (for example for openSUSE-11.4) for testing:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/sax/openSUSE_11.4/
    And users are needed to test !

It was also pointed out to me that one can easily search for it: software.opensuse.org: Search Results for sax3

There is also a thread here pointing to the sax3 GSOC 2011 project: Sax3 GSOC 2011 work report(s)

I installed it on my openSUSE-12.1 milestone4 LXDE PC (which has GTK3) so as to see if it recognized my hardware and to look at the X window GUI. I need to also try in run level 3 sometime. Since I was using 12.1 M4 I decided to install the 'factory' version of sax3, with this repository:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/sax/openSUSE_Factory/
    I can't say that is the correct repos to use, but its the one I went with for my very brief check of the GUIs.

My PC testing may be a bit difficult/challenging for sax3 to configure the keyboard, video and mouse (and touchpad) and I have a KVM switch between my keyboard, video and mouse.

When typing 'sax3' with root permissions under X I obtain this GUI, which is pretty clear and simple (which I happen to like):

[click on image for larger view]

Monitor

I first tried the monitor setting and sax3 crashed ... I have an ancient FX5200 using the nouveau video driver connected via a DVI connection to a KVM which is in turn connected to my Samsung 26" monitor. Not an easy combination for sax3 to work with. Here is a link to the text messages before the crash: SUSE Paste - sax3 crash on monitor config

Mouse

I then tried the mouse setting ... and obtained this GUI:

That was pretty neat. Sax3 detected my ATEN CS1784 KVM mouse emulation. I happen to have a Logitech USB Wireless mouse connected to the KVM. I canceled out of the menu, as I did not want to go any further, but it was encouraging to see that menu.

Here are the text entries associated with the mouse execution (note it segfaulted when I exited out via cancel): SUSE Paste - mouse config

Keyboard

Then I tried the keyboard setting ... and obtained this GUI:

... then I selected the Expert Mode and obtained this menu:

and again I canceled out. Here are the text messages: SUSE Paste - keyboard config and again I note it segfaulted as I canceled out.

It was good to see the makings of a new sax interface tool/wizard.

Blog Entries

Default Re: sax3 testers needed !!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Sax3 is a configuration tool/wizard, under development to help GNU/Linux users handle cases where X does not properly automatically configure their keyboard, video, mouse, or touchpad.

One of our moderators pointed out to me that sax3 now has a repository from where it can be easily installed (for example for openSUSE-11.4) for testing:
    Code:

It was also pointed out to me that one can easily search for it: software.opensuse.org: Search Results for sax3

There is also a thread here pointing to the sax3 GSOC 2011 project: Sax3 GSOC 2011 work report(s)
    Reference the above, here is the opensuse-project mailing list post on sax3 being moved to factory: [opensuse-project] SaX3 final report

Quote Originally Posted by opensuse-project
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    Subject: Including SaX3 in factory
    To: opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All

I believe SaX3 is good enough, to be pushed into factory. I would like to know if it can be included in factory as it will tested before 12.1 and I can include all the bugs reported as an update to 12.1 just as firefox does it.

Also, what is the last date of factory submissions, September 1st 2011 just to make sure again.

Please try again my repo, it will be constantly updated in the next few days so please refresh atleast once a day so that it looks more better before factory submissions.

Index of /repositories/home:/manugupt1/openSUSE_Factory

So please try :-)

Issues can be reported at Issues - sax3 - SUSE Advanced X Configuration - Google Project Hosting

Discussions at sax3-discuss | Google Groups

The latest repo will be up soon
    --
    Regards
    Manu Gupta

I have just tested the new sax3 and i do like it but i feel everyone would like it more if the dual head mode can be incorporated back in to sax3 on that note i like the fact that this is coming back i miss sax altogether....

how ever i am having some problems with the current version so here is a list

1. Monitor (this item currently works but I would like to see dual monitor mode implemented back in to this version)
    2. Touch pad (IS NOT WORKING/CRASHES)
    3. Keyboard (IS NOT WORKING/CRASHES)
    4. Mouse (IS NOT WORKING/CRASHES)

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

Code:

I installed it on my openSUSE-12.1 milestone4 LXDE PC (which has GTK3) so as to see if it recognized my hardware and to look at the X window GUI. I need to also try in run level 3 sometime. Since I was using 12.1 M4 I decided to install the 'factory' version of sax3, with this repository:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/sax/openSUSE_Factory/
    I can't say that is the correct repos to use, but its the one I went with for my very brief check of the GUIs.

My PC testing may be a bit difficult/challenging for sax3 to configure the keyboard, video and mouse (and touchpad) and I have a KVM switch between my keyboard, video and mouse.

When typing 'sax3' with root permissions under X I obtain this GUI, which is pretty clear and simple (which I happen to like):

Monitor

I first tried the monitor setting and sax3 crashed ... I have an ancient FX5200 using the nouveau video driver connected via a DVI connection to a KVM which is in turn connected to my Samsung 26" monitor. Not an easy combination for sax3 to work with. Here is a link to the text messages before the crash: SUSE Paste - sax3 crash on monitor config

Mouse

I then tried the mouse setting ... and obtained this GUI:

That was pretty neat. Sax3 detected my ATEN CS1784 KVM mouse emulation. I happen to have a Logitech USB Wireless mouse connected to the KVM. I canceled out of the menu, as I did not want to go any further, but it was encouraging to see that menu.

Here are the text entries associated with the mouse execution (note it segfaulted when I exited out via cancel): SUSE Paste - mouse config

Keyboard

Then I tried the keyboard setting ... and obtained this GUI:

... then I selected the Expert Mode and obtained this menu:

and again I canceled out. Here are the text messages: SUSE Paste - keyboard config and again I note it segfaulted as I canceled out.

It was good to see the makings of a new sax interface tool/wizard.
    The segfault at the end that is after

Code:
    <_M_> [ui] YUI.cc:529 ~YUITerminator(): Shutting down UI
    Segmentation fault
    is an upstream bug.

Can you paste your monitor configuration oldcpu, I am willing to work on it. And did it crash all of a sudden. It will flickr for a moment, but it should not crash it does not on my
    computer, if you can paste the text of sax3-monitor too as that was the one crashed.

Thanks a lot
    Manu Gupta
    Manipal Institute Of Technology
    Manipal, Karnataka - 576104
    India

OpenSuse 11.4 - 32bit
    Tested sax3 installed from...

Index of /repositories/X11:/sax/openSUSE_11.4

results from click on "Monitor"...

Code:
    # sax3
    <_M_> [ui] YUI.cc:83 YUI(): Creating UI without threads
    <_M_> [ui] YUI.cc:236 topmostConstructorHasFinished(): Running without threads
    <_M_> [qt-styler] QY2Styler.cc:104 loadStyleSheet(): Using style sheet "/usr/share/YaST2/theme/current/wizard/style.qss"
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:311 processCommandLineArgs(): Qt argument: sax3
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:445 calcDefaultSize(): Default size: 895 x 690
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:275 initUI(): Forcing /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 open successful
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:140 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Selected language: en_US
    <WRN> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:164 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Can't load translations for predefined Qt dialogs from /usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en.qm
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:288 initUI(): YQUI initialized. Thread ID: 0xb731d950
    DP IF<_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "KeyBoard" at 0x9916fec
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Touch Pad" at 0x97162f4
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Monitor" at 0x891be94
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Mouse" at 0x985bc1c
    sax3-monitor
    Segmentation fault
    #

Hardware...

PCI(AGP) 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
      [Created at pci.318]
      Unique ID: VCu0.GPW5HzVoek8
      Parent ID: vSkL.NVv9AfhhZO6
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
      SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
      Hardware Class: graphics card
      Model: "Silicon Integrated SiS 660"
      Vendor: pci 0x1039 "Silicon Integrated Systems Corp."
      Device: pci 0x6330 "SiS 660"
      SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
      SubDevice: pci 0x8159 
      Memory Range: 0xe8000000-0xefffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
      Memory Range: 0xfbfe0000-0xfbffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      I/O Ports: 0xe800-0xe87f (rw)
      I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
      Module Alias: "pci:v00001039d00006330sv00001043sd00008159bc03sc00i00"
      Driver Info #0:
        XFree86 v4 Server Module: sis
      Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #15 (PCI bridge)
    Anything else I can supply?

Does it not run even a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    OpenSuse 11.4 - 32bit
    Tested sax3 installed from...

Index of /repositories/X11:/sax/openSUSE_11.4

results from click on "Monitor"...

Code:
    # sax3
    <_M_> [qt-styler] QY2Styler.cc:104 loadStyleSheet(): Using style sheet "/usr/share/YaST2/theme/current/wizard/style.qss"
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:445 calcDefaultSize(): Default size: 895 x 690
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:275 initUI(): Forcing /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 open successful
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:140 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Selected language: en_US
    <WRN> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:164 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Can't load translations for predefined Qt dialogs from /usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en.qm
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:288 initUI(): YQUI initialized. Thread ID: 0xb731d950
    DP IF<_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "KeyBoard" at 0x9916fec
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Touch Pad" at 0x97162f4
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Monitor" at 0x891be94
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Mouse" at 0x985bc1c
    sax3-monitor
    Segmentation fault
    #

Hardware...

PCI(AGP) 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
      [Created at pci.318]
      Unique ID: VCu0.GPW5HzVoek8
      Parent ID: vSkL.NVv9AfhhZO6
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
      SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
      Hardware Class: graphics card
      Model: "Silicon Integrated SiS 660"
      Vendor: pci 0x1039 "Silicon Integrated Systems Corp."
      Device: pci 0x6330 "SiS 660"
      SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
      SubDevice: pci 0x8159 
      Memory Range: 0xe8000000-0xefffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
      Memory Range: 0xfbfe0000-0xfbffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      I/O Ports: 0xe800-0xe87f (rw)
      I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
      Module Alias: "pci:v00001039d00006330sv00001043sd00008159bc03sc00i00"
      Driver Info #0:
        XFree86 v4 Server Module: sis
      Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #15 (PCI bridge)
    Anything else I can supply?
    Manu Gupta
    India

linux200418

Hmm.. When can you let me know your system and desktop?

Also, can you please distinguish between crashes or not works.

I do understand a lot of problems on different computers might be there as it has not been tested out on a lot of libraries.

Can you paste the log that is created for each and every module that does not work.
    Manu Gupta
    India

I did not have too much success either (running 11.4 64 bit kde 4.6.5).

Results are:-

opensuse:/home/garry # sax3
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:445 calcDefaultSize(): Default size: 1344 x 737
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:275 initUI(): Forcing /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4 open successful
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:140 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Selected language: en_GB
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:288 initUI(): YQUI initialized. Thread ID: 0x7f2aaf4ac720
    DP IF<_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Touch Pad" at 0xc548f8
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "KeyBoard" at 0x12ae4c8
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Monitor" at 0x34721e8
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Mouse" at 0x77f948
    sax3-monitor
    Segmentation fault
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:275 initUI(): Forcing /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so.4 open successful
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQApplication.cc:140 loadPredefinedQtTranslations(): Selected language: en_GB
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:288 initUI(): YQUI initialized. Thread ID: 0x7f6b1e0f1720
    DP IF<_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Touch Pad" at 0x345fcd8
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "KeyBoard" at 0x2ad7348
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Monitor" at 0x1493a68
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Mouse" at 0x33a5288
    sax3-keyboard
    Segmentation fault
    <_M_> [qt-ui] YQUI.cc:288 initUI(): YQUI initialized. Thread ID: 0x7f029aaae720
    DP IF<_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Touch Pad" at 0x345fcd8
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "KeyBoard" at 0x2ad7348
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Monitor" at 0x1493a68
    <_M_> [ui-shortcuts] YShortcutManager.cc:148 checkShortcuts(): No valid shortcut for YPushButton "Mouse" at 0x33a5288
    sax3-mouse
    Segmentation fault
    opensuse:/home/garry #

Quote Originally Posted by manugupt1 View Post
    Does it not run even a bit.
    Sorry, I neglected the items that do work, Keyboard and Mouse. I don't have a touchpad. By the way, my installation of 11.4 done from the DVD also did not configure the video. I had to provide a previous version generated Xorg.conf file to get things started.

Hi thanks,

I understand the monitor module but I did not get any testers and I had to do with whatever information I had sorry for that.
    Can you give me your conf file, so that I can enhance SaX's and make it more general
    Manu Gupta
    India

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast