Cannot Install a DomU

I have just done a fresh install of 11.4, installed the Xen Kernel and then done a full update.

When I go into YaST and then to Create Vritual Machines I get the error:

Failed to start vm-install

Going into Virtual machine Manager and trying to connect to the hypervisor gives this error:

Unable to open a connection to the Xen hypervisor/daemon.

Verify that:

• A Xen host kernel was booted
  • The Xen service has been started

unable to connect to ‘localhost:8000’: Connection refused

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py”, line 983, in _try_open
None], flags)
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py”, line 107, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virConnectOpenAuth() failed’)
libvirtError: unable to connect to ‘localhost:8000’: Connection refused

If I go into Software Management and re-install the xen kernel and reboot these errors go away but If I reboot again it reverts back. Any ideas?

I think comparing the output of this command between the state when it’s working and not working would be a good start for troubleshooting :

uname -a

Maybe reinstalling the packages changes the default boot kernel ? and then for some reason it changes again ?

This are just guesses of course :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg

I’ll double check it when I’m near the box again later, but I did confirm via uname -a each time I was booted into the correct kernel which really stumped me.

Then I’ve got no idea what might be wrong. I’ve got some experience but only with XenServer by Citrix and have never run into such problems.
I admit I never tried to install Xen on openSUSE :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg

I did do a considerable Google search before posting here and for most it was down to mismatching xen and xen-tools versions which isn’t my problem. I’ll try it again and failing that I’ll just re-install.

Still got the problem, even did a re-install to check.

kaon:/home/danny # uname -a
Linux kaon.cybertron.local 2.6.37.6-0.7-xen #1 SMP 2011-07-21 02:17:24 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
kaon:/home/danny # ps -ef | grep xen
root 15 2 0 19:54 ? 00:00:00 [xenwatch]
root 16 2 0 19:54 ? 00:00:00 [xenbus]
root 1735 1 0 19:55 ? 00:00:00 xenstored
root 1742 1 0 19:55 ? 00:00:00 xenconsoled --pid-file=/var/run/xenconsoled.pid
root 2017 1 0 19:55 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/xend start
root 2019 2017 0 19:55 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/xend start
root 2975 2956 0 20:00 pts/1 00:00:00 grep xen

Maybe You are affected by this bug ? Did You read this bug report already ?
[Bug 685064] New: XEN: Kernel image does not exist: /tmp/kernel.xxxx whe](http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-bugs/2011-04/msg00911.html)

Best regards,
Greg

Doesn’t look like the same thing. That bug seems to refer to a none booting domU and I can’t even get that far.

Fixed by someone over at Unix Stackexchange: virtual machine - Xen on openSUSE 11.4 - Unix and Linux - Stack Exchange.

Simply run:

chkconfig xencommons off

then reboot.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :slight_smile:

Hope this will help others as well.

Best regards,
Greg

The problem is that Virtual Manager isn’t able to ask for the password.

I am having the same issue.

But I found this on Red Hat forum that might be useful.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=579579

I am able to connect, but only if I do a virt-manager --ssh from the cli, type in my password. I never get a pop up window from the gui.

Pup