Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 3 available for download

Default openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 3 available for download

Yes it's true. openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 3 is available for download right now!

Check the download page for more information.

Cheers!

Romanator
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 13.1 64-bit - Platform Version 4.12.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS

Default Re: openSUSE 12.1 Milestone 3 available for download

Ok. I brought it down and created a disc at approximately 8:10PM Phoenix, AZ time. After the installation the initial re-boot did NOT succeed. It was required to use the Failsafe boot. It then completed the install. This reply is from the booted Milestone 3 ... in Failsafe mode. I'll try some re-boots and see if it will succeed... normally now that it is fully installed.

Allllrighty now. I tried some restarts and found that it was necessary to put in nomodeset or I would NOT get a desktop. I have an:
    HP m7480n with an nVidia 7300LE graphics card.
    Haven't loaded the nVidia drivers ... yet, but they didn't work in M2. I'll try them here in M3 and see if they fix the problem. Till then
    Have Fun,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chucktr View Post
    Allllrighty now. I tried some restarts and found that it was necessary to put in nomodeset or I would NOT get a desktop. I have an:
    Haven't loaded the nVidia drivers ... yet, but they didn't work in M2. I'll try them here in M3 and see if they fix the problem
    Is your 7300LE supported by the Nouveau FOSS Nvidia driver? Even if it isn't, then the VESA driver ought to be set up after install.
    Your problem ought to be reported in bugzilla. Did you try rebooting to level 3 rather than graphical, to see if it was just X11 that failed to start with KMS?

Blog Entries

Haven't loaded the nVidia drivers ... yet, but they didn't work in M2. I'll try them here in M3 and see if they fix the problem. Till then
    Have Fun,
    Chuck
    I can think of a couple of speculative possibilities. (1) One is UDEV and/or modesetting does not properly identify your card and hence is giving wrong information to X and/or nouveau driver. (2) Another is nouveau driver simply does not work for your card.

By using the boot code 'nomodeset' you are instructing openSUSE to use the older 'nv' driver.

You could try editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file, and below the line with #Driver "radeon" (which is commented out), enter/save the line:
    Code:
    Driver "nouveau"
    and then restart and see what happens then. If same thing, then the problem is nouveau driver. If it works, then the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I do believe the 7300 is listed as ok in the Nouveau FOSS cause it was in 11.4 and I don't believe that it was dropped... yet. Anyway I tried the Driver "nouveau" in the 50-device.conf file and it didn't help.

Now then, I have been trying the various nVidia Drivers with no success. I have been installing them the "Hard Way". After receiving the above responses I had to remove my "changes" for the nVidia Drivers. Well, I found something strange. In the /etc/sysconfig/kernel file we are to change
    NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="no" to NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="yes". This is the item and value found in version 11.4. However, in version 12.1 I find the following:
    KMS_IN_INITRD="yes"

It appears that the indicator is changed. I do believe that this is what caused my nVidia failures. Someone reversed the logic. I will experiment and let you know. I think it should be changed to KMS_IN_INITRD="no" in order to use the nVidia Drivers. The reason I didn't see this earlier is cause I was using a script and it did not show the before or after results [shame on me]

I've had to use "nomodeset" to boot KDE Live CD!
    NVIDIA GeForce 315

Thanks for the replies. Yes I do believe the 7300 is listed as ok in the Nouveau FOSS cause it was in 11.4 and I don't believe that it was dropped... yet. Anyway I tried the Driver "nouveau" in the 50-device.conf file and it didn't help.

Now then, I have been trying the various nVidia Drivers with no success. I have been installing them the "Hard Way". After receiving the above responses I had to remove my "changes" for the nVidia Drivers. Well, I found something strange. In the /etc/sysconfig/kernel file we are to change
    NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="no" to NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="yes". This is the item and value found in version 11.4. However, in version 12.1 I find the following:
    KMS_IN_INITRD="yes"

It appears that the indicator is changed. I do believe that this is what caused my nVidia failures. Someone reversed the logic. I will experiment and let you know. I think it should be changed to KMS_IN_INITRD="no" in order to use the nVidia Drivers. The reason I didn't see this earlier is cause I was using a script and it did not show the before or after results [shame on me]
    Can you add your findings and check the bug I created - https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=707110
    I have the problem, I could not get Networking running with the Live CD, so I'm posting from Windows (and it's not my PC either)

The binary Nvidia drivers in repo won't directly support 3.0 kernel or KMS; they can probably be got to work with compilation of the Nvidia interface module.
    Nouveau driver ought provide FOSS 3D & KMS on install, so something appears wrong with that, perhaps there's a slip due to change of variable name & removal of the negativity.

Great to read these posts! As I had d/l the m3 kde live cd this morning and couldn't get it to boot or install. Had thought that it was just me or a bad cd burn.

Cheated in the end and used a live kde cd from last week and pointed it to an image of the m3 dvd. All seems to be working fine, including the packman multimedia and no problems with the new kernel rc7 so far.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast