Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel 3.0

Default Kernel 3.0

Anyone have an experience with this version of the kernel? I have read that people using Ubuntu and Fedora have had good and bad experiences.

Default Re: Kernel 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchoir View Post
    Anyone have an experience with this version of the kernel? I have read that people using Ubuntu and Fedora have had good and bad experiences.
    Works nice for me on 2 boxen, i686 & AMD64. OTOH rc6 is crashing for some ppl and there's USB issues. The "When is next Release of openSUSE" thread has some links to openSUSE kernel mail list on USB & oops issues.

Quote Originally Posted by robopensuse View Post
    Works nice for me on 2 boxen, i686 & AMD64. OTOH rc6 is crashing for some ppl and there's USB issues. The "When is next Release of openSUSE" thread has some links to openSUSE kernel mail list on USB & oops issues.
    Thanks! =D

On 07/14/2011 05:06 PM, Stormchoir wrote:
    >
    > robopensuse;2364575 Wrote:
    >> Works nice for me on 2 boxen, i686& AMD64. OTOH rc6 is crashing for
    >> some ppl and there's USB issues. The "When is next Release of openSUSE"
    >> thread has some links to openSUSE kernel mail list on USB& oops issues.

I have been running 3.0 since -rc1. A few problems with the early stuff, but
    quite solid since -rc3. I did not see the crashes with rc6.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchoir View Post
    Running 3.0 kernels since its first availability. Currently, running 3.0.0rc7-1 on two (2) openSUSE 11.3 boxes, 1 32-bit and 1 64-bit, both KDE and Gnome. On an openSUSE 11.4 enviroment, running 3.0.0rc5, as 3.0.0rc7 and Gnome3 do not seem to play well together. (Currently continuing testing, which is difficult without the Network Manager. Will bugzilla either to the Kernel or Gnome3 folks). Kernel 3.0.0rc5 and 11.4 seem satisfactory with Gnome3, and Gnome 2/KDE works well.

One annoying problem with the 3.0 kernel appears to be associated with the Intel integrated audio: at boot, it seems to turn the internal microphone amplifer all the way up, with resultant feedback from almost everything! This seems to occur during kernel initialization, specifically at "Loading drivers". The problem does NOT occurs on any other sound combination, nor with an external mic attached. (Yes, I will report this, but it is not the most important item on the to-do list). Alsamixer turns the mic amplifier down quite nicely.

As previously mentioned in this thread, 3.0.0rc6 did have a few glitches, and after a few tests/boots, I just skipped over it to rc7.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE 12.3 x64, KDE 4.12.4, Ubuntu 12.04LTS+10.04.3 LTS, Windows 7

Lap: openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.12.4, Windows/XP/SP3 guest and a Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS boarder

How would one go about updating to the 3.0 kernel?

Blog Entries

You can download the source and build yourself

or this repo
    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Enable multiversion though before you add Kernel:HEAD repo though!

Code:
    # grep multiversion /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
    ##      provides:multiversion(kernel)   - all packages providing 'multiversion(kernel)'
    # multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
    multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
    Might be worth reading the thread on mail list to - [opensuse-kernel] 3.0-rc7, pretty please?
    Quote Originally Posted by robopensuse View Post
    Coolo's announed delay to Official 12.1 M3 due to testing team finding kernel oops with 3.0rc6 kernel.
    It's because of the openSUSE kernel bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=705085 which "Cloddy" may have hit, according to one report the vanilla kernel works fine - See Re: [opensuse-kernel] 3.0-rc7, pretty please?
    Seems like http://download.opensuse.org/factory-tested/repo/ is still stuck on 9th July, so any fix for recent oS kernels hasn't made it's way through Factory yet..

Kernel 3.0.0rc7-2.1 corrects the Gnome3 problem mentioned earlier. (Saved submission of a bug already solved!). 3.0.0rc7-2 appears very smooth with Gnome3; Gnome and KDE later today, on 11.3 and 11.4.

It appears that the Kernel/HEAD repositories have completed the long-awaited re-organization party.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE 12.3 x64, KDE 4.12.4, Ubuntu 12.04LTS+10.04.3 LTS, Windows 7

Lap: openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.12.4, Windows/XP/SP3 guest and a Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS boarder

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You can download the source and build yourself

or this repo
    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard
    I should build it myself so I keep in the habit of still be able to do so.=D

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast