Low disk space what can i delete?

I have about 50GB of space for /root,but after updates i now have 1.3GB left.

How can i free some space,what can i delete on root partition?

Do updates take so much space?

Do updates take so much space?

No, they do not - I have a 15GB-/-partition and still have 5GB (or 33%) free space. Before freeing diskspace by deleting stuff I would try to find out what is causing this.

Usual culprits for overflowing directories are /tmp and /var/log.

Hello Tnlgg,

Do you mean the folder /root or the root partition (/)?

And further to Edward_Iii’s question: do you have a separate /home (or other) partition(s)? Because when you haven’t all that space could be from your pictures/movies/rubbish.
But as you do not tell very much, I guess you should look at all answers here with distrust because they where all given on the base of much too less (or maybe even false) information.

Here is another guess: check /tmp.

The Partition /.

I looked at /tmp folder & its 36GB big,can i delete all the files there,is it save to do that?

Use Yast -> sysconfig Editor: System -> Cron

Activate the cron script, to delete tmp files on boot or after x days.

You should also have a look at /var/tmp, same problem there.

If those files are not currently being used, then it is safe.

If you are not certain, then reboot to failsafe mode (where the GUI won’t be running), and you can delete most stuff in “/tmp”. Then reboot to the normal mode with your space recovered.

Or go into Yast → System → /etc/sysconfig → system → cron
and you can set CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP
so that “/tmp” will be automatically cleared on reboot before starting the GUI.

No, not by simply doing it. Use The method Fruchtratte decribes above. You would think that even setting it to clean allways completely at boot is OK. I do it for year, never had any problem with it (and there shouldn’t be problems clearing /tmp at boot, it is as intended, many have it in RAM).

Maybe looking in /tmp to see what all those files are might be of interest to you. Normaly applications should remove files there when they finish, thus it points to a buggy program imho.

Absolutely. The content of /tmp actually does only matter for the running session. I also agree that 36GB in /tmp is highly unusual; normally a few MB is plenty already (right now I have 1.3MB in my /tmp).

Since overflowing tmp-dirs are apparently a wide spread problem i recently opened a feature request at openFATE to set CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP to yes as default. I would like to see you going there and vote or discuss it.

I went to Yast → System → /etc/sysconfig → system → cron and i have set CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP to yes.

Now i have more free space on root partition,thanx guys for your help.

On 2011-06-18 17:36, tux93 wrote:
>
> Since overflowing tmp-dirs are apparently a wide spread problem i
> recently opened a ‘feature request at openFATE’
> (https://features.opensuse.org/312337) to set CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP
> to yes as default. I would like to see you going there and vote or
> discuss it.

This has been previously discussed and rejected. It is not wise to set it
as default. It is your responsibility as owner and root to do it, if you so
decide.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)