Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics card recommendations?

Default Graphics card recommendations?

I need a new graphics card. Mine is an ATI Radeon 9500 series with just 128MB of onboard memory. I'm not playing games or doing any video editing, but I do sometimes with with large images or watch movies. What's a good entry-level or midrange graphics card that works in OpenSUSE?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Graphics card recommendations?

I need a new graphics card. Mine is an ATI Radeon 9500 series with just 128MB of onboard memory. I'm not playing games or doing any video editing, but I do sometimes with with large images or watch movies. What's a good entry-level or midrange graphics card that works in OpenSUSE?
    So there is no doubt right now that I recommend you buy an nVIDIA based GPU and load the nVIDIA proprietary video driver for the absolute best video performance in Linux, in my opinion (of course). Right now, for a mid priced video card I would go for a card based on the nVIDIA GTX 550 Ti card. They list around $150, but I found one for $140 at a local dealer. Next up, if a nVIDIA GTX 460 priced around $180, but it depends on the amount of memory and if over clocked or not. Both are double wide cards. The 550 needs a single six pin power plug while the 460 requires two six pin power connections. Here is an article that compares several video cards including the 450 and 550:

AnandTech - NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 550 Ti: Coming Up Short At $150

Now keep in mind what you are asking for. While the 550 Ti might be a little short for super game playing, it works great with openSUSE and anything you can throw at from Linux. The price is right and the power usage not as high as a 460, which is a nice card as well. When I read such reviews, all are looking at a $700 nVIDIA 590 dual GPU video card that may require a 1000 watt power supply just to make it work. I have a 500 watt with the GTX 550 Ti which works just fine. And they work just fine with Linux and openSUSE.

The 550 supports dual monitors and has one hdmi connection, though the exact setup depends on who packages the GPU board as several manufacturers do so. So check out nVIDIA and never look back. Make sure you know your power supply size and if your PC can handle PCIe video cards. Good luck...

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Graphics card recommendations?

Thanks for the advice. My motherboard does have PCIe (if I'm reading this chart correctly: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 DELUXE) so I will give the 550 a try.

My power supply is 430 watts. That should be plenty, correct?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. My motherboard does have PCIe (if I'm reading this chart correctly: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 DELUXE) so I will give the 550 a try.

My power supply is 430 watts. That should be plenty, correct?
    First off, that motherboard you have will be SUPER! It is one of the best out there in its price rage, so congratulations on your selection. As for the power supply, the minimum recommended size is 400 watts, so 430 will also be fine. Here are the specs from one company:

ZOTAC AMP! GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 (1000 MHz/4400 MHz) Graphics Card [ZT-50402-10L]

In the review, the card could draw a maximum of 116 watts total if you are pushing it hard playing a game. All that means to me is make sure your case cooling fans are working properly and not blocked if you are pushing the card to its max. The be truthful, I am not sure I have even pushed the card that hard in Linux, but it is good to know the power is there if you need it.

When you get it, you will need instructions on loading the nVIDIA driver. I happen to load the driver the hard way as it is know, which to quote another user here who also adds, that it is not hard to load. Here is an article on loading the nVIDIA driver:

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

Here is the pointer to loading it the hard way:

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

I happen to have written a bash script useful in loading the driver the hard way you can find here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Page 2

Just ask questions about anything you do not understand and get ready for a super fast video experience. While waiting on the video card, why not consider getting your multimedia in order by reading through this message:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

Good Luck:

Thank You,

Wait a sec .... I erred big-time and I pasted the wrong motherboard link. Sorry!! Mine is this one:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 DELUXE

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard

Blog Entries

Wait a sec .... I erred big-time and I pasted the wrong motherboard link. Sorry!! Mine is this one:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 DELUXE

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard
    Well, someone seems confused. You have two links this time. The first is the Asus P8P67, a very good board while the second is a Asus A7N8X, a much older board that can only use AGP video cards. AGP cards will be hard to find these days and would not include any of the recent video cards as AGP usable. I used to own that very motherboard some eight years ago, but it would not be up to the tasks these days I fear.

Thank You,

Aarrgghh ... no more linking, I do in fact have the A7N8X. Apparently every time I copied a link from Asus.com, it somehow gave me a different one. I'm not that dumb ... honest!

So, I am S.O.L. with this old motherboard?

Blog Entries

ekoblentz
    Aarrgghh ... no more linking, I do in fact have the A7N8X. Apparently every time I copied a link from Asus.com, it somehow gave me a different one. I'm not that dumb ... honest!

So, I am S.O.L. with this old motherboard?
    No, I did a search and found some options. I most likely would select a nVIDIA 6200 from what I found and they are not expensive, but they may be used. I really did not look through it that well. Here is the link:

Google Shopping - Google Search

I would say that in the future, you got to be thinking about a new system before I would spend much money on the old. Of course, if it is working with Linux, you can continue doing what you have been doing I would think.

Thank You,

Cool, it's very kind of you to do the research. At least I'll save some money at the computer store.

Did some homework just now (i.e. more Googling) and now I'm wondering why I bought a PCI card last time (several years ago) if AGP is better. Had I done my research back then, I might not be in this position now. Oh well.

Thanks again.

On 06/04/2011 05:06 AM, ekoblentz wrote:
    >
    > So, I am S.O.L. with this old motherboard?

look around for an old card....there must be millions on their way to
    land fills..

my machine before this little power sipping one, had a ancient nVidia
    GeForce FX 5500 which worked GREAT, fast smooth 3D, good movies, etc etc
    etc...(with the proprietary nVidia driver)..

i see several on eBay this moment <http://tinyurl.com/3cqe959> for less
    than $50....just make sure to get the one which fits your motherboard..

owwwww, NOW i see my friend from Austin has already fixed you
    up....well, i'll send since it is typed, and maybe you wanna save a Ben
    Franklin! (you can use it for a tank of gas

--
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast