FIBMAP: Invalid argument

Hi, I seem to have a problem.

Every time I reboot, I get flashed with dozens (maybe even hundreds) of lines of “FIBMAP: Invalid argument”.

So far it has only been a minor annoyance, and it didn’t bother me.

But now, to reinstall nvidia drivers (for tumbleweed) I have to boot into runlevel 3 and this has become a serious issue. Half way through the installation process “FIBMAP: Invalid argument” fills the screen and I have no idea what’s going on and I can no longer see what’s going on…

Sometime this happens at the login prompt, sometimes as soon as I log in, sometimes in the middle of doing something… But it happens every time I reboot/shutdown my machine.
I also see a screen full of “FIBMAP: Invalid argument” every time I bring my laptop out of standby (non tumbleweed 11.4).

I am pretty sure this was present with 11.3 (all my machines had clean installs of 11.4).

Is there a problem behind this that needs to be fixed, what could it be??
How do I get rid of this nuisance?

Thank you.

11.4 x86-64 & Tumbleweed x86-64

I see that. However, I’m pretty sure that I only see one line like that. So I haven’t concerned myself about it.

On 2011-05-19 05:06, kozzington wrote:
> But now, to reinstall nvidia drivers (for tumbleweed) I have to boot
> into runlevel 3 and this has become a serious issue. Half way through
> the installation process “FIBMAP: Invalid argument” fills the screen and
> I have no idea what’s going on and I can no longer see what’s going
> on…

I don’t know what it is, but perhaps this helps, sending the messages
somewhere else (VT-10):

klogconsole -r 10

otherwise, google the message, perhaps you find something useful.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Hi, I’m getting a similar “FIBMAP” flood on my KDE Tumbleweed upon wakeup from sleep mode.
Here [http://old.nabble.com/FIBMAP%3A-Invalid-argument-td31777047.html] is some more speculation and particularly a link to a git repo with a possible workaround for the suspected culprit - preload. I haven’t tested it.

Attention Administrator – Please move this thread to the Tumbleweed

@kozzington
Please post your Tumbleweed comments and concerns in the Tumbleweed forum.

This came up on a recent thread and yeah it seems to be a preload issue, this was found on the mailing list:

This isn't new. The FIBMAP ioctl tries to determine the actual block on disk
that a file is using. Most likely it's coming from preload, the tool that
tries to check what things are in use and load them into memory so they will
start quicker on future boots, and it is probably trying to map something that
doesn't support mapping, such as a tmpfs or similar

This message has been around forever. At some point someone should probably
fix the preload code to check to see if the filesystem in question supports
mapping before trying to do it, and just hide the error message

At the time I thought it may have been down to me using nfs exports that preload couldn’t map, or possibly even ntfs partitions?

Preload’s function is to help the system boot quicker and as I didn’t care too much about that uninstalled preload to see what would happen, the fibmap messages went away, and I wasn’t able to discern any noticeable difference in the time it takes the machine to boot nor any adverse effect on the system over time without preload

Something the OP could try perhaps? Even if just to get his nvidia driver installed and reinstalls preload after the driver’s in place

There is talk on the Factory mailinglist to permanently removing the preload module.

Could be an interesting move. Keep your eyes on the Factory mailinglist. :wink:

There’s a patch to avoid producing the error, which is ready for inclustion to factory; the author is Christian Rodriguez.

preload may only shave a second or so off your boot to login via kdm, so one solution (especially with Tumbleweed with frequent updates where the preload-kmp-desktop package isn’t reliably building & being distributed, causing kernel downgrade to 11.4 issues) is to simply zypper rm preload preload-kmp-desktop.

The errors should really have gone to a log, and got summarise for /var/log/messages, possibly with something on the console.

As I said, it was also present in vanilla 11.4.

Yep, seems that’s the way to go.

I didn’t have it with 11.3 or 11.4 but am seeing that in 12.1-M1. Haven’t found an explanation for it yet.

Tom

tommytt this thread has explained it … preload