when you are converting from Ubuntu

Welcome to openSUSE 11.4, the newest release of the Linux Distribution with the Geeko.
In the following Introduction to this system, we cover the differences in installation of the system, in enabling full mutimedia support and in how to install proprietary graphics drivers between Ubuntu and openSUSE.
We will also cover some other differences, like installing software and doing systemsettings.

General

There is no KopenSUSE, or XopenSUSE.
openSUSE also comes with different desktop environments, such as Gnome, KDE, XFCE and many more.
But there is no special edition for that. OpenSUSE remains openSUSE, no matter which desktop environment is installed.

Install

openSUSE comes in different types of media. On software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.4 you can download several types of media. Just choose the desired version of openSUSE in the dropdown menu and afterwards the installation media.
Which type of media is right for you?
There are:
DVD: the DVD contains a huge selection of software, for use on desktops and servers. It also contains both desktop environments: Gnome and KDE and allows you to choose between them (and others) during installation

KDE Live: this is a Live CD, similar to the one, available for Ubuntu. It contains the most common software along with the KDE desktop environment

Gnome-Live: this is a Live CD, similar to the one, available for Ubuntu. It contains the most common software along with the Gnome desktop environment

As with Ubuntu, there is also an alternate CD available which allows installation via Network.

For a plain description how to install openSUSE, please refer to Category:SDB:Installation 11.4 - openSUSE and the further links on this site.

Dualbooting

To set up a dualboot system with Ubuntu and/or Windows, you need to partition your harddrive(s) with a dedicated tool, such as Gparted, before you start to install openSUSE on your computer.
The installer of openSUSE unfortunately is not able to resize and change partitions on your computers harddrive(s). For tips and hints on that, please refer to SDB:Partitioning - openSUSE
When you have set up the desired partition layout with Gparted or a similar tool, you can start the installation as described in Category:SDB:Installation 11.4 - openSUSE
Please note that during install, you need to check the final layout in the installer. This can be done by choosing „edit partition layout“ in the appropriate screen/step of the installer.

This takes you to the expert mode of the partitioning step during installation.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9599/30794573.jpg](http://img717.imageshack.us/i/30794573.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here you can review the partitioning layout and change mount points and options on formatting your partitions.
The installer normally recognises Windows partitions and mounts them automatically. However, please read the proposed partitioning layout (depending on your individual setup) carefully and only proceed when you are sure that everything is set up to your satisfaction.
After setting up the partition layout, you need to set up the user account for the system.
Until you have finished this, the installer does not change anything to your harddrive(s).
After the user information has been set up, the installer will present the final settings.

Here you can still make changes to your setup. When you press the „install“ Button, the installer will tell you, that all information is complete and the system is ready to install.
When you confirm the installation, the system will finally be installed.

Differences to Ubuntu while using openSUSE

Although both, openSUSE and Ubuntu, are Linux based operation systems, there are however some differences between both systems.

Sudo?

First of all, as a former Ubuntu user, you might be familiar with the fact, that in Ubuntu the „super User“ root is disabled by default. Instead of this, you always have to type a „sudo“ in front of the command you need to run with root permissions.
In openSUSE, root is not disabled by default. That is why you need to switch over to user root, when you need to run a command with root privileges.
This is being done by typing
su
followed by the password for the root account before you can type and run a command with root privileges.
What is the password for the root account?
When you have a standard install of openSUSE, the root password is the same as the password for the first user of the system. However, you could change this during installation of the system.
In the step, which belongs to the user setup, you can check/uncheck a checkbox for the option
„use this password for root“
If you have not done this, the root password is the password for the first user of the system.
What is the difference now?
In Ubuntu, the terminal will run with root privileges for approximatly 15 minutes after the last command has been processed. After this time, the terminal will switch back to normal permissions.
In openSUSE, whenever you have logged in as root, the terminal will run with root privileges until you change back to normal user permissions by typing

exit

This is very important, because you need to observe if you are running commands with root permissions which do not need them and therefore can potentially harm the system.
You can see whether a terminal runs in root mode or not. Just watch the username in the terminal.
If there is a „#“ behind it, then the terminal runs in „root mode“.
If you try to run a command, which requires root privileges, with your normal user permissions, the terminal will tell you that it needs root permissions for processing it. Then you can switch over to root in the same way, as described above.

Package management

openSUSE uses a different format for software packages than Ubuntu.
In Ubuntu you may have noticed, that software packages are in .deb format. In openSUSE all packages are in .rpm format.
This does no obvious difference to an average user, but it is worth knowing, that .deb packages do not work in a standard openSUSE system. There may be conversion tools, but for daily use, just stick to rpm´s and you will be fine.
Similar to Ubuntu´s Synaptic package manager, openSUSE also uses a package management tool, which is called YaSt. YaSt means „Yet another Setup tool“, pointing out, that YaSt is not only used to manage software packages. It is more than that.
YaSt is a powerful but friendly tool to do all the settings to your system, you will need.
Be it installing software, setting up printers, network shares and settings… there are numerous tasks which are all to be done in YaSt, without digging and searching in system configuration files.
Just discover it!
During usage of YaSt you will notice that in every window, there are “Help” Buttons in the lower lefthand corner. The integrated Help system in YaSt provides useful information on all tasks which can be performed in the respective window.

For information about the package management system in openSUSE and YaSt please refer to
Package management - openSUSE and Portal:YaST - openSUSE

When you are an experienced Ubuntu user, you might have noticed, that besides installing software via Synaptic, there is also a way to do this using the terminal.
The common command to install a package in Ubuntu is

sudo apt-get install [package name]

however, in openSUSE there is no apt-get. But of course there is also a command line tool for installing and removing packages, as well as updating and upgrading the system and adding and removing software repositories.

This tool is called zypper.

The typical command of installing a software package (after switching to root, by typing su and your password) would be:

zypper install [package name]

For more information on zypper and it´s whole lot of features, please refer to Portal:Zypper - openSUSE

Multimedia

In openSUSE you can of course enjoy all the multimedia features as you could in Ubuntu.
Like in Ubuntu, there can not all packages, like codecs and so on, be delivered with the standard system because of concerns related to licenses.
In Ubuntu, you needed to add an additional package source to do so. In openSUSE this is the same.
But of course this package source is not called „Medibuntu“ as it was in Ubuntu, but „Packman“ instead.
How do you add this package source? It is easier than in Ubuntu!
Just open YaSt. Choose „software repositories“. YaSt will now load all the already enabled repositories on your system and present them as following:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6420/yastrepos.png](http://img135.imageshack.us/i/yastrepos.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To add a repository, click on the button add, in the lower left corner of the screen.
YaSt will now present some options, how to add a repository.
Just choose the option „community repositories“ and you be lead to a table of pre selected repositories. Choose „Packman“ and activate it by checking the checkbox in front of it. Then click „proceed“ and YaSt will do the rest. It will also ask you if you want to import the GPG key of the repository and it is recommended to do so.
When everything is finished successfully, YaSt will close the „add Software repositories“ window automatically.
When you now install some packages, or update the system, using „Online Update“ in YaSt, it will automatically install all necessary codecs, the flashplugin installer and some Microsoft True Type fonts. You just need to confirm the license for Flashplugin and the Microsoft Fonts.

Proprietary Graphics drivers

In Ubuntu you had a handy tool to install a proprietary graphics driver, called jockey. This tool popped up some time after installing the system and asked you whether you want to install a proprietary graphics driver or not.
However, in openSUSE you will not have this tool. But, no worries, the installation of these drivers is also very easy.
At first, you also need to enable an additional repository. So you do the same steps as you did, while enabling the packman repository in YaSt.
You also choose „community repository“ as the right type of it.
After doing that, you search for a repository, depending of the manufacturer of your graphics card.
If you have a Nvidia card, there will be most likely a nvidia repository in the list. If you have an ATI device, you will find an ATI repository. YaSt automatically detects the type of your card, and offers the appropriate option.
You then enable this repository and when you update the system or install packages after doing so, the proprietary driver will be installed automatically. You just need to do a system restart, after the installation has finished.

Have a lot of fun!

Good work steffen.

I know there will be a lot of input on this. I’ll kick off with

su
followed by the password for the root account before you can type and run a command with root privileges.

This is preferable

su -

because it provides root’s environment, (including the necessary paths to various system commands).

A convoluted on this discussed here. Of course ‘sudo’ can also be used provided one has the sudo package installed.

Early on you say: ‘KDE Live: this is a Live CD, similar to the one, available for Ubuntu.’
Should that be Kubuntu to be technically correct?

If typically ubuntu users come here and are inexperienced, so much so that they need a guide. My guess is they will have the default ub* install with swap +1 partition for root/home combined. I think I would have put something about that.

YaST is as you quote, but it is not a comparative to synaptic.

The Install partitioner can manage, create, delete, resize partitions. (Though I use Parted Magic I must admit)

Adding Packman alone is not the answer to multimedia. A simple solution for a Ub* user would be to link them to Multimedia in One Click

Something about Grub? Perhaps the user is not switching entirely and is planning to have Ub* + SUSE side by side.

*Once we have some feedback here. I’ll edit the the original with your permission.

About the environments, if they are using Ubuntu, then GNOME LiveCD is the appropriate substitute. If Kubuntu, then KDE LiveCD. I guess those people who use Kubuntu would know, but it’s possible some may persist in calling it Ubuntu.

That also reminds me that it should be explained the openSUSE DVD which has both desktop environments has no counterpart in *buntu. In general *buntu DVDs are not publicised. Also that it is possible for both environments to be installed simultaneously on openSUSE.

There is no equivalent of *buntu’s wubi which allows running on a disk contained inside a Windows file.

*buntu and Debian call the x86_64 architecture amd64. Same thing. Most *buntu users are encouraged to start with the 32-bit version. Questions about whether 32 or 64 on openSUSE should probably be directed to another Wiki page explaining the pros and the few cons.

@deano_ferrari: first of all, I have (oviously) forgotten to put some

tags around "su".... Regarding

su -

to be honest, I didn´t know that. I am also not really sure whether a newbie from Ubuntu needs it. I know, one never knows what people do with their computers, but what´s the worst case? Is it just some "command not found" messages? Or can they mess up the system by typing just 

su

? The problem hereby is: when you put a big story about "su -" it sort of turns people off and they will not read it to the end anyway. I know that from my own experience ;) so, people do not read it anyway, and then do the mistakes also anyway... So, if it does no real harm to the systems of the users, I would put a link to the article about "su -" and put some sentences about it in the text and thats it. But, this is just my opinion.

@caf4926: KDE Live... yeah it should be Kubuntu. It is just a typo. Sorry for that. Regarding the partitioning, Grub and the installer I have to go through the text again anyway. Because I am also not really satisfied with it. I will send you an update in the next days. Regarding Multimedia I need to do a bit of more research then, because I, as I converted, just switched on Packman and had everything I needed :D But as I said, one never knows what other users do with their computers and so maybe Packman is not enough.

Regarding YaST I just wanted to point out that there is also something for installing software, like they are used to in Synaptic. I will then enhance the software install section a bit. Requires some research time for me, as I am also still learning :D

as a general "setting" of the text I would like to leave the technical things behind the scenes out of the text as much as possible. Unless it is really necessary because of security reasons and so on. Because this is, what makes Ubuntu and their wiki too. They just have a plain explanation, some small details and hints and tips how to use stuff. And so, Ubuntu users, which do not have so much experience are not really used to all these technical details and I think that "too much technology" scares them off then. Again: my opinion, to be discussed :)

Don’t forget about yast with the ncurses interface. I don’t think Ubuntu has anything like that. It can be exceptional helpful for people who, for some reason, need to do things at a cli, yet are not so well versed at using the cli. Installing graphics drivers, fixing an interrupted update come to the mind. A sentence, or so, in the Package management section would fit quite well with giving “hints and tips how to use stuff”.

? The problem hereby is: when you put a big story about “su -” it sort of turns people off and they will not read it to the end anyway. I know that from my own experience so, people do not read it anyway, and then do the mistakes also anyway… So, if it does no real harm to the systems of the users, I would put a link to the article about “su -” and put some sentences about it in the text and thats it. But, this is just my opinion.

I probably would just state ‘su -’ without justification or further explanation. Then the ‘new user’ just learns good practice, and no ‘big story is then necessary’. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wv-IaDsitA)

On 2011-05-12 07:36, steffen13 wrote:
> to be honest, I didn´t know that. I am also not really sure whether a newbie from Ubuntu needs it. I know, one never knows what people do with their computers, but what´s the worst case? Is it just some “command not found” messages? Or can they mess up the system by typing just

Some commands do not work. Then they ask here why they do not work.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Hi, here is an update… first of all, I am a bit un-sure, what to write about YaST and all the features in software management which go beyond Synaptic in Ubuntu. There I need some help, I guess, as I up to now used it the same way as Synaptic in Ubuntu (I am sure, a lot of Ubuntu converts will do so in the first time). And also regarding all the other YaST features… what is to be mentioned, what is not necessary for the first steps of an Ubuntu convert?

However, I fixed the installer section, the su - part and also tried to research some bootloader stuff. Regarding bootloader, I am really not sure if this right, what I wrote.

any feedback will be welcome!

OpenSUSE 11.4

Welcome to openSUSE 11.4, the newest release of the Linux Distribution with the Geeko.
In the following Introduction to this system, we cover the differences in installation of the system, in enabling full mutimedia support and in how to install proprietary graphics drivers between Ubuntu and openSUSE.
We will also cover some other differences, like installing software and doing systemsettings.

General
There is no KopenSUSE, or XopenSUSE.
Like all the different Flavors of Ubuntu, openSUSE also comes with different desktop environments, such as Gnome, KDE, XFCE and many more.
But there is no special edition and naming for that. OpenSUSE remains openSUSE, no matter which desktop environment is installed.

Install

openSUSE comes in different types of media. On software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.4 you can download several types of media. Just choose the desired version of openSUSE in the dropdown menu and afterwards the installation media.
Which type of media is right for you?
There are:
DVD: the DVD contains a huge selection of software, for use on desktops and servers. It also contains both desktop environments: Gnome and KDE and allows you to choose between them (and others) during installation
KDE Live: this is a Live CD, similar to the one, available for Kubuntu. It contains the most common software along with the KDE desktop environment
Gnome-Live: this is a Live CD, similar to the one, available for Ubuntu. It contains the most common software along with the Gnome desktop environment
as with Ubuntu, there is also an alternate CD available which allows installation via Network
Additionally, as with Ubuntu, you can choose between 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions. However, with Ubuntu, you may have heard the name „amd64“ when it came to 64-Bit versions. In openSUSE this is named „X86_64“. The content, a Linux based operating system for 64-Bit capable computers is the same.
For a plain description how to install openSUSE, please refer to Category:SDB:Installation 11.4 - openSUSE and the further links on this site.

Dualbooting

To set up a dualboot system with Ubuntu and/or Windows, you can use the openSUSE Installer to manage, resize and format partitions on your computers harddrive(s).
For tips and hints on that, please refer to SDB:Partitioning - openSUSE before installing openSUSE.
Start the installation as described in Category:SDB:Installation 11.4 - openSUSE
To manage, resize and/or format partitions on your harddrive(s), please choose in the installation step „disk“ the appropriate option „create partition setup“, „import partition setup“ or „edit partition setup“ in the openSUSE installer.

—> here: pic of the installer, partitioning step

This takes you to the expert mode of the partitioning step during installation.

—> here: pic of the partitioning expert mode of the installer

Here you can review the partitioning layout, resize, delete, and move partitions on your harddrive(s) as well as change mount points and options on formatting your partitions.
The installer normally recognises Windows partitions and mounts them automatically. However, please read the proposed partitioning layout (depending on your individual setup) carefully and only proceed when you are sure that everything is set up to your satisfaction.
Please keep in your mind, that you might lose data when you modify the partitioning of your harddrive(s). This is why it is highly recommended, to make backups of your data, before installing openSUSE.
After setting up your partitions and the following step, creating a user for the system, the installer presents all settings you made in a final description.
Please read this description carefully. You can still make changes to your setup, by pressing the button „change“. This takes you back to a menu where you can change all settings again.

----> here: pics of the installation summary

Until you have finished this, the installer does not change anything to your harddrive(s).

When you press the „install“ Button, the installer will tell you, that all information is complete and the system is ready to install

----> here: pic of the “confirm installation” window of the installer

When you confirm the installation, the system will finally be installed.
Default partition layout
By default, openSUSE creates a partion layout with a separate /home partition on your system. So the final setup will consist of swap, root (/) and /home partitions.
Ubuntu, by default creates a layout, in which the /home directory (the directory in which all user data, like documents, photos etc. is stored) is part of the root (/) partition. In Ubuntu then, the final setup consists of swap and root (/), which includes the /home directory. When you have installed Ubuntu in it´s default settings, this is most likely the case.
The default openSUSE way has the advantage, that if you break the system and have to re-install it, you will most likely not lose your data in /home. The Installer also recognises, that you install openSUSE over an existing openSUSE system and then does not format /home by default - unless you set it to do so in the „disk“ part of the installation.
The same is possible during a system upgrade. You always can upgrade an openSUSE system to a newer version, using the install DVD. Here also the installer recognises the old openSUSE system and the separate /home partition and will not format it by default.
When you set up a dualbooting system with Ubuntu and openSUSE, you need to observe that you do not format the root partition of Ubuntu. Otherwise you will lose data in your Ubuntu - /home and also break the Ubuntu system.
OpenSUSE will use the swap partition, which was created by Ubuntu for swapping during system operations. So there most likely it is not necessary to create a new swap partition.
Bootloader
When you have a Dualboot system, all systems on your machine need to be managed by a bootloader. Therefore, all Linux based systems have the program GRUB (Grand unified bootloader) delivered and installed by default. There are also other bootloaders out there, but GRUB is the most common. GRUB helps in many ways, even on systems which are running Linux only. For a dualbooting system, GRUB is important, because with it, you can choose which operating system should be booted.
When you set up a dualbooting system, at the end of installation, GRUB detects other systems and sets them up, so that you can choose from them during start-up.
This is also the case when you install openSUSE additionally to an Ubuntu, or an Ubuntu/Windows system.
OpenSUSE uses GRUB, whereas Ubuntu uses GRUB2. So for the installation of openSUSE to an existing Ubuntu, there are two options.

1. using openSUSE´s GRUB to boot all the systems on your computer
  2. using Ubuntu´s GRUB2 to boot all the systems on your computer

for the 1st option, you need to remember, that GRUB of openSUSE will not detect the existing Ubuntu system automatically. You need to update the bootloader in YaST after finishing the installation. To prepare for this, you need to know on which partition and with which kernel variants Ubuntu is installed.
Please search and investigate these information before you start the installation of openSUSE. The best way would be, that you store a copy of Ubuntu´s menu.lst (the GRUB2 configuration file) on a separate media.
When you want to go the 2nd way, you need to remember, that you do not install a bootloader during install of openSUSE, because otherwise, the openSUSE Installer would overwrite the GRUB2 of Ubuntu. You need to set this up during installation of openSUSE.
With this, after installation of openSUSE, you still can not boot openSUSE. You need to boot up Ubuntu, open a terminal and type
sudo update-grub
With this, GRUB2 of Ubuntu reads all entries on the harddrive(s) and adds openSUSE
to it´s menu.
From now on you can choose between the systems during boot-up.
However, whenever there is a kernel update in openSUSE, you need to run this command again in Ubuntu. The same is valid when you use the first option and there is a Kernel update in Ubuntu. You then need to update the bootloader in YaST.

Differences to Ubuntu

Although both, openSUSE and Ubuntu, are Linux based operation systems, there are however some differences between both systems.

Sudo?

First of all, as a former Ubuntu user, you might be familiar with the fact, that in Ubuntu the „super User“ root is disabled by default. Instead of this, you always have to type a „sudo“ in front of the command you need to run with root permissions.
In openSUSE, root is not disabled by default. That is why you need to switch over to user root, when you need to run a command with root privileges.

su -

What is the password for the root account?
When you have a standard install of openSUSE, the root password is the same as the password for the first user of the system. However, you could change this during installation of the system.
In the step, which belongs to the user setup, you can check/uncheck a checkbox for the option
„use this password for root“
If you have not done this, the root password is the password for the first user of the system.
What is the difference now?
In Ubuntu, the terminal will run with root privileges for approximatly 15 minutes after the last command has been processed. After this time, the terminal will switch back to normal permissions.
In openSUSE, whenever you have logged in as root, the terminal will run with root privileges until you change back to normal user permissions by typing

exit

This is very important, because you need to observe if you are running commands with root permissions which do not need them and therefore can potentially harm the system.
You can see whether a terminal runs in root mode or not. Just watch the name of the computer in the terminal.
If there is a „#“ behind it, then the terminal runs in „root mode“. When it runs with normal user privileges, it shows

user@computer:~>

If you try to run a command, which requires root privileges, with your normal user permissions, the terminal will tell you that it needs root permissions for processing it.
Then you can switch over to root in the same way, as described above.

Package management

openSUSE uses a different format for software packages. In Ubuntu you may have noticed, that software packages are in .deb format. In openSUSE all packages are in .rpm format.
This does no obviuous difference to an average user, but it is worth knowing, that .deb packages do not work in a standard openSUSE system. There may be conversion tools, but for daily use, just stick to rpm´s and you will be fine.
Similar to Ubuntu´s Synaptic package manager, openSUSE also uses a package management tool, which is part of YaST.
YaST means „Yet another Setup tool“, pointing out, that YaST is not only used to manage software packages. It is much more than that.
YaST is a powerful but friendly tool to do all the settings to your system, you will need.
Be it installing software, setting up printers, network shares and settings… there are numerous tasks which are all to be done in YaST, without digging and searching in system configuration files.
Just discover it!

For information about the package management system in openSUSE and YaST please refer to
Package management - openSUSE and Portal:YaST - openSUSE

When you are an experienced Ubuntu user, you might have noticed, that besides installing software via Synaptic, there is also a way to do this using the terminal.
The common command to install a package in Ubuntu is

sudo apt-get install [package name]

however, in openSUSE there is no apt-get. But of course there is also a command line tool for installing and removing packages, as well as updating and upgrading the system and adding and removing software repositories.
This tool is called zypper.
The typical command of installing a software package is (after switching to root, by typing su - and your password):

zypper install [package name]

For more information on zypper and it´s whole lot of features, please refer to Portal:Zypper - openSUSE

Multimedia

In openSUSE you can of course enjoy all the multimedia features as you could in Ubuntu.
Like in Ubuntu, there can not all packages, like codecs and so on, be delivered with the standard system because of concerns related to licenses.
In Ubuntu, you needed to add an additional package source to do so. In openSUSE this is the same.
But of course this package source is not called „Medibuntu“, but „Packman“ instead.
How do you add this package source? It is easier than in Ubuntu!
Just open YaST. Choose „software repositories“. YaST will now load all the already enabled repositories on your system and present them as following:

----> here: pic of software repositories window in YaST

To add a repository, click on the button add, in the lower left corner of the screen.
YaST will now present some options, how to add a repository.

—> here: pic of add repositories window in YaST

Just choose the option „community repositories“ and you be lead to a table of pre selected repositories. Choose „Packman“ and activate it by checking the checkbox in front of it. Then click „proceed“ and YaST will do the rest. It will also ask you if you want to import the GPG key of the repository and it is recommended to do so.
When everything is finished successfully, YaST will close the „add Software repositories“ window automatically.
When you now install some packages, or update the system, using „Online Update“ in YaST, it will automatically install all necessary codecs, the flashplugin installer and some Microsoft True Type fonts. You just need to confirm the license for Flashplugin and the Microsoft Fonts.

Proprietary Graphics drivers

In Ubuntu you had a handy tool to install a proprietary graphics driver, called jockey. This tool popped up some time after installing the system and asked you whether you want to install a proprietary graphics driver or not.
However, in openSUSE you will not have this tool. But, no worries, the installation of these drivers is also very easy.
At first, you also need to enable an additional repository. So you do the same steps as you did, while enabling the packman repository in YaST.
You also choose „community repository“ as the right type of it.
After doing that, you search for a repository, depending of the manufacturer of your graphics card.
If you have a Nvidia card, there will be most likely a nvidia repository in the list. If you have an ATI device, you will find an ATI repository. YaST automatically detects the type of your card, and offers the appropriate option.
You then enable this repository and when you update the system or install packages after doing so, the proprietary driver will be installed automatically. You just need to do a system restart, after the installation has finished.

YaST

YaST is also a big difference between Ubuntu and openSUSE. When you want to set different settings in Ubuntu, which go beyond the tools, delivered by the desktop environment, you need to work in the Terminal. In openSUSE, there is YaST.
As mentioned above YaST means „Yet another Setup Tool“.
YaST is a powerful tool for nearly all settings to be done to the system.
It is divided in categories for Software, Hardware, the System, Network, Network devices, Firewall, Virtualisation, and so on.
In YaST you can set up nearly every aspect of your system in convinient wizards and menus. All menus have small help windows included, which open when you click the „Help“ button in the respective menu.
Additionally, to all this goodness, YaST is also there when you have problems and maybe no GUI anymore. Because YaST also works in textmode.
So when you, for example, install the wrong graphics driver and end up in textmode, you can simply start YaST and reverse your previous action, without needing to know any terminal commands. The only commands you need to know is, how to change into root and how to start YaST (command: yast)
YaST is also the installer, which helps you to install an openSUSE system to your computer.

This was not true last time I used Ubuntu (around version 8.04). If I typed “sudo -s” I could easily become root the same way as typing “su -” although the environment variables were not changed as far as I can remember.

Other than that it’s IMHO a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg

thanks, Greg, for your reply.

according to themselves… I am right :wink: this command is not recommended by the Ubuntu folks anyway :wink:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Thats why, again, the reminder: this tutorial is for people who just use the computer and the operating system and are not that familiar with all that technical stuff behind the scene.

I used Ubuntu for 3 years and I did not know that »sudo -s« story. Among Ubuntu users, everyone knows “root is disabled”. This is true, as long as you just use sudo = what most of the people do.

So, to keep the text simple, I will leave »sudo -s« out, as it is not used by the majority. Okay? :smiley:

Yes of course :slight_smile: it might also be the case that this has changed over the years and I’m completely wrong.

Best regards,
Greg

no, you are not wrong, but as I see it, people who read this are not familiar with that. People who are, don´t usually read this :wink:

Hello,
I tried to add the repository for my ati card but there isn’t any ati repo in community. There is only nvidia repo.
How to add it?

SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

thank youlol!

Something I noticed early, you say you cannot resize partitions with the openSUSE installer but have to use gparted beforehand.

Actually YaST Expert Partitioner does let you resize, I did a Vista partition with it few weeks ago to install 11.4, once I had the space, I could make swap, / & /home partitions, as well as area set aside space for Win7 install plus a data partition.

The trick is to (if you already have Linux) to import current partitions, then choose “Edit partition setup”. Most often clicking on disk entry gives you graphical overview of disk partitions similar to what Ubuntu users would be used to. Then right click & edit, is the most efficient way to modify partitions, choose mount points and so on.

On 05/12/2011 06:06 AM, steffen13 wrote:
>
> In the following Introduction to this system, we cover the differences
> in installation of the system

this post is just to bring to your attention another thread in this
how-to about Ubuntu (but, i’m not certain how it fits in with this one)

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=468714

additionally, there are thousands of other posts in the openSUSE forums
which might be helpful in discovering the differences between Ubuntu and
openSUSE, see here: http://tinyurl.com/Ubuntu-Differences

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!