Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Buys Skype

Default Microsoft Buys Skype

Looks like it won't be long and Linux users, and Android users will be looking for a different way to communicate with each other. Microsoft has bought Skype, and their track record has been anytime they buy something that is cross platform, they kill off the support for other platforms and lock them out with ever changing protocols.

I will begin looking for something pretty soon.

ttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42967056/ns/business-us_business/

Default Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

This is the of linux chat, I must find something new for chat. Microsoft will try to kill skype for linux.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE 12,3||x86_64||KDE 4.10.5||AMD PHENOM II X3||AMD RADEON 6990.
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    This is the of linux chat, I must find something new for chat. Microsoft will try to kill skype for linux.
    Sorry the end of linux chat.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

When I first read the post, I thought it an April fools.

Given both my 85+ year old mother and I use openSUSE Linux for video chatting with Skype (3 to 4 times a week, often more) this does have me worried. We both really look forward to those chats, as we live in different continents, it is VERY expensive and difficult for me to visit her in person, and my mother is not getting any younger.

While I believe Microsoft will continue with Skype support for MacIntosh, my guess is they will quickly drop any Linux support.

This is a very sad news day for me.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    When I first read the post, I thought it an April fools.

Given both my 85+ year old mother and I use openSUSE Linux for video chatting with Skype (3 to 4 times a week, often more) this does have me worried. We both really look forward to those chats, as we live in different continents, it is VERY expensive and difficult for me to visit her in person, and my mother is not getting any younger.

While I believe Microsoft will continue with Skype support for MacIntosh, my guess is they will quickly drop any Linux support.

This is a very sad news day for me.
    It is very bad news for me because I use also skype to give help in people who learn developing(C++ and Qt developing). These people are from this forum and now I will have not this opportunity. Microsoft will cancel the linux skype. And as I thing now the new skype program will be compatible only with windows. Unfortunately I must erase it from my pc and from my server.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

Microsoft will cancel the linux skype. And as I thing now the new skype program will be compatible only with windows. Unfortunately I must erase it from my pc and from my server.
    Its likely best to wait and see how things turn out, before erasing anything ... although I suspect if Microsoft does purchase Skype, they will stop Skype maintenance for Linux and quite possibly simply remove it from the Skype site.

Still at this stage that is only speculation and its better to be certain before taking any precipitous action.

I do think, thou, its time to look again at some other applications for video chatting such as :

* camfrog - Camfrog Video Chat Rooms & Live Webcams!

* google talk - Google Chat - Chat with family and friends

* ekiga - Ekiga

While I have seen mention of these applications before, I have never taken the time to check them out.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Its likely best to wait and see how things turn out, before erasing anything ... although I suspect if Microsoft does purchase Skype, they will stop Skype maintenance for Linux and quite possibly simply remove it from the Skype site.

Still at this stage that is only speculation and its better to be certain before taking any precipitous action.

I do think, thou, its time to look again at some other applications for video chatting such as :

* camfrog - Camfrog Video Chat Rooms & Live Webcams!

* google talk - Google Chat - Chat with family and friends

* ekiga - Ekiga

While I have seen mention of these applications before, I have never taken the time to check them out.
    Are these compatible with openSUSE or with linux(Except Ekiga which is for Gnome). If you find something could you warn me with PM??

Thank you oldcpu.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Microsoft Buys Skype

Just heard that on radio, looked in chit-chat and the thread was there already.
    It's rather a good news for me. It will save me some explanations of why I don't use it and some time by not having to install it anymore. Well done Balmy!

Are these compatible with openSUSE or with linux(Except Ekiga which is for Gnome). If you find something could you warn me with PM??

Thank you oldcpu.
    I didn't use skype and just out of curiousity just installed the google - chat/talk/phone thingy which immediately recognized my Linux - openSUSE platform and was able to make pc to land-line phone call without a hitch.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Sorry for you folks. I don't use it though. Too expensive.

I guess Google Chat is the next best, though I have not tried to install the plugin with 11.4
    There were some issues IIRC in 11.3
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast