Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

  1. #1

    Default Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Wondering if anyone here uses anti-virus software on their openSUSE computer and if so which one and also whether it's caught linux-directed viruses.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    1,704

    Default Re : Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Hi,

    IMO, you don't need it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,645

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Please search the forum on the innumerable and quite futile threads on this thematic.
    To make a long story short: it makes sense to use a free anti virus in Linux to detect Window-email viruses on a linux server installation that serve also windows client in the net in order to protect them.
    There are AFAIK no existing useful anti virus for Linux malware. The number of know potential viruses for linux is practically zero (very few and not know to be infectious in the wild).
    If you want to avoid threat from worms and troyan horses as well as root kits do the following:
    - do not grant physical access to you PC / server
    - do all the necessary security updates
    - use secure file permissions if applicable and avoid scripting if the machine is very mission critical.
    - there are several root kit control solutions like rkhunter and others.
    - use only software out of the controlled repositories.
    - avoid adobe (reader-flash---------)
    - use noscript plugin in firefox.
    - set up correctly AppArmor or Tomoyo
    - consider the use SE-Linux
    Good luck.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,792
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Wondering if anyone here uses anti-virus software on their openSUSE computer and if so which one and also whether it's caught linux-directed viruses.
    No
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    11,210

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    On 05/02/2011 07:06 PM, 6tr6tr wrote:
    >
    > Wondering if anyone here uses anti-virus software on their openSUSE
    > computer


    no, of course not..(there is no need, unless you want to help some
    windows users protect their machine--but, ask yourself what they are
    doing to help protect YOUR machine???)


    > and if so which one and also whether it's caught linux-directed
    > viruses.


    no, of course not...(there are none)..

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8 via NNTP]
    HACK Everything -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5b4CCe9pS8&NR=1

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    If you want to avoid threat from worms and troyan horses as well as root kits do the following:
    - do not grant physical access to you PC / server
    - do all the necessary security updates
    - use secure file permissions if applicable and avoid scripting if the machine is very mission critical.
    - there are several root kit control solutions like rkhunter and others.
    - use only software out of the controlled repositories.
    - avoid adobe (reader-flash---------)
    - use noscript plugin in firefox.
    - set up correctly AppArmor or Tomoyo
    - consider the use SE-Linux
    May I add
    - don't log in as root ...
    or was it already obvious?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    15,370
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    No more windows partitions in this household.... so nope. The only virus known to me is me and my typing....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    So far, I'm in line with everyone else. I NEVER log in as root (obviously I use sudo, but I'm careful with that). But...while I do believe Linux is a safer environment than windows (again, if you don't log in as root), it's not unhackable/immune-to-viruses. I think right now, it's no problem but since pretty much 100% of Tablet computers are now unix (BSD/linux) based (Mac and iPhoneOS are FreeBSD based) and almost all new smartphones are linux based, I think attacks on linux are going to start increasing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    15,370
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Oh no my GPS is going to get a virus?

    Phones are a different attack vector, all boils down no matter what platform your on... it's only the user/admin that presses the button to accept/do something.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,786

    Default Re: Do you use Anti-Virus on openSUSE? Which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    So far, I'm in line with everyone else. I NEVER log in as root (obviously I use sudo, but I'm careful with that). But...while I do believe Linux is a safer environment than windows (again, if you don't log in as root), it's not unhackable/immune-to-viruses. I think right now, it's no problem but since pretty much 100% of Tablet computers are now unix (BSD/linux) based (Mac and iPhoneOS are FreeBSD based) and almost all new smartphones are linux based, I think attacks on linux are going to start increasing.
    Linux might not be imune to viruses (who knows?), but as long as there is none known, there can not be a AV program that knows about it. Unless you believe in wichcraft.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •