Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Default Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

This is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong section

I'm not a Linux expert but have been using Suse since version 9.0. I installed opensuse 11.4 about two weeks ago and this time I reformatted my hard drive and did a fresh install. The installation appeared to go through OK without any problems. I ran the updates during the installation process which again was successful. The problems I have experienced have been trying to install either acroread, vlc or the restricted formats either through one click install or manually. Software manager always hangs on downloading either, acroread, vlc-Nox, or in thr case of one click install Ladspa. It's always the same files and the same place. I'm now getting the same problems with updates, either using yast online update, KPackageKit or booting into failsafe and trying to update or download from there.

I've reinstalled the system several times and still had the same problems every time, the same files hanging in the same place. I even tried installing from a different DVD(from a magazine rather than my downloaded one) but got the same problem.

The error I get is like this for the update

Cannot access installation media http://downloadopen suse .org/update/11.4/updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 (Medium1)
    Check whether the server is accessible

Timeout exceeded when accessing 'http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/rpm/i586/sane-backends-1.0.22-1.3.3_1.5.1.i586.delta.rpm'.

I get the same when trying to install acroread, vlc, or the restricted formats but it obviously points to the appropriate repo. I've even tried changing mirrors but still get the same problem with exactly the same files at the same point. Other programs can be downloaded through the software manager without any problem such as audacity, chkrootkit, aide.

the output from zypper lr -d is

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.4 |
    2 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | No | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ARTEC_BKM-52X16,/dev/sr0 |
    3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
    4 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/11.4 |
    5 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss |
    6 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |

I've been struggling with this for about two weeks now and never had any problem of it's kind before with openSuse. Version 11.3 updates and downloads software with no problem on this PC and I've just tried Ubuntu and that installs and updates with no errors as well. I don't think this is an ISP problem regarding file sizes etc as I can download the DVD images.

Can anyone help me please and is anyone else experiencing this problem? I've trawled the forums but can't find this problem elsewhere. I always been able to fathom out any problems I've had with previous releases but this one has got me. Again apologies if this is posted in the wrong section or this problem has been posted before.

Many thanks

Tony

Default Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Make a
    Code:
    # zypper refresh
    Send the output here.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE 12,3||x86_64||KDE 4.10.5||AMD PHENOM II X3||AMD RADEON 6990.
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Make a
    Code:
    # zypper refresh
    Send the output here.
    Retrieving repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' cache [done]
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' is up to date.
    All repositories have been refreshed.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Quote Originally Posted by akwatton View Post
    Retrieving repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' cache [done]
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' is up to date.
    All repositories have been refreshed.
    Your updating problems has already solved with zypper refresh.

Downloading problem now

Code:
    su
    Code:
    # zypper install celestia
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Your updating problems has already solved with zypper refresh.

Downloading problem now

Code:
    su
    Code:
    This is output:

Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
    celestia kde3-i18n-en_GB kde3-i18n-en_GB-base kdelibs3 kdelibs3-default-style libart_lgpl_2-2 libdns_sd libpng12-0 qt3

The following recommended package was automatically selected:
    kdelibs3-default-style

9 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 53.2 MiB. After the operation, additional 123.2 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
    Retrieving package kde3-i18n-en_GB-base-3.5.10-14.2.noarch (1/9), 1.4 MiB (5.2 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kde3-i18n-en_GB-base-3.5.10-14.2.noarch.rpm [error (3 B/s)]
    Timeout exceeded when accessing 'http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/suse/noarch/kde3-i18n-en_GB-base-3.5.10-14.2.noarch.rpm'.

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (r):
    Trying again...

I've also just tried online update again and that's not working either, still hangs in same place as before. I've tried refresh before but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Many thanks,

Tony

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

You are ok now. Maybe a problem with connection you had.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

You are ok now. Maybe a problem with connection you had.
    Hi Stamos,

I probably wasn't very clear with my last answer. I still have the same problem. Downloads and updates do not work. I don't think it's a connection problem as I can download from other sites using the browser. It's just updating opensuse ans installing new packages where the problem is.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Problems updating or dowloading certain softfware openSUSE 11.4

Have you tried different mirrors?
    are you using proxy? or in a Campus?
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Have you tried different mirrors?
    are you using proxy? or in a Campus?
    Yes, I've tried different mirrors several times but always fails at same point on same files. Not using proxy, not in campus.
    What I don't get it only happens on 11.4, and it will update ok during the install process. It only seems to be certain files that are not downloading as many will download with no problem.

Blog Entries

Not sure.
    You could disable all repos except the DVD, you used the DVD?

Then make a local repo of the current Update repo
    That would let you update to current level

Then try again
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast