Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Serial Port Added

Default New Serial Port Added

I have openSuse 11.1 and have just added a new serial port card. Do I need to do something to get the card going? My application doesn't seem to be getting data from the serial card. How would I test status. Do I use setserial .

Default Re: New Serial Port Added

There are a few console commands that will help verify that your serial port is active

Code:
    dmesg |grep ttyS*
    If you don't see /dev/ttyS* present, then you may need a driver for that card.

If its a PCI-based serial card, then have a look for it amongst the results from

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Post the chipset details for this card if necessary.

Using the dmesg |grep ttyS* all seems OK I see ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 irq 4 so it seems OK.
    So it is working then?
    Thank you

This will show which user/group owns /dev/ttyS0

Code:
    ls -l /dev/ttyS0
    You may find you need to add the relevant user to the correct group before you can access with apps running as user.

Using the ls -l /dev/ttyS0 command I get l root uucp 4, 64 2009-4-14 03:16 /dev/ttyS0 I assume that I the user does not have use of the serial port. I have given the command ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 Is there another command I need to enter.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pestocat View Post
    Using the ls -l /dev/ttyS0 command I get l root uucp 4, 64 2009-4-14 03:16 /dev/ttyS0 I assume that I the user does not have use of the serial port. I have given the command ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 Is there another command I need to enter.
    Thank you
    I checked the /.wine folder and everything seems to be in place.

Using the ls -l /dev/ttyS0 command I get l root uucp 4, 64 2009-4-14 03:16 /dev/ttyS0 I assume that I the user does not have use of the serial port.
    Add the user to the uucp group via YaST>>Security and Users>>User and Group Management>>.....

I have given the command ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 Is there another command I need to enter.
    Is it a windows app you're trying to use with the serial port?

Yes, it is the Windows application that I want to use the serial port.

Now the only group I have is user . Do I add a new group with a name e.g., wine_use with members uucp or do I make new group uucp with member uucp.
    Thank you

Now the only group I have is user . Do I add a new group with a name e.g., wine_use with members uucp or do I make new group uucp with member uucp.
    Thank you
    You're getting confused. I meant add the user to the'uucp' group. From a terminal prompt, become root with 'su -', and enter root password when prompted. Then if your user is called 'joe' for example, you would type

Code:
    usermod -A uucp joe
    Alternatively, from the YaST utility, you will see a list of users (at least one user account anyway). When you select the user, and 'Edit', you will see a 'Details' folder. Click on the required group from the list available. Then click 'Ok' to accept changes.

BTW, you will need to log out and back in for the changes to take effect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast