Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Code 2011

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Thumbs up SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Code 2011

SaX3 - A project in the Google Summer of Code 2001 (GSoC 2011)

SaX3 is planned to be a user interface and tool for configuring the settings for monitor and graphic card, keyboards, mouse and touch-pad.

In my opinion in the field of configuring the graphic system this tool is most wanted. Hopefully it will close the gap that the modern graphic systems and the dropping of SaX2 have left. I think despite the improvement made on auto detection in more modern Linux systems there is still a need for a tool like this. The case may happen the automatically made settings are not working or the system is completely failing of make automatically a setting. Most users will rate the process of manually configuring the X/X.org graphical system and editing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or things like that is not an easy task - even not if you got an elaborate tutorial like the wiki article SDB:Configuring graphics cards from Lee, aka oldcpu.

Probably we users not so skilled with only text on the command line will appreciate the effort to have a graphical wizard to help us in and through this process. I guess the challenge for the developers will be to deliver the normal users in this tool as much graphic as comfortable but as less graphic needed as possible because we will need it the most if most of the graphic is not working...

This project is part of the participation of openSUSE in Google Summer of Code 2011.

For more and original information from the 'makers'/developers, the student (Manu Gupta) and his mentor (Michal Hrueck), have a look at:

*openSUSE:GSOC 2011 Ideas > 6. Distribution tools > SaX 3 on the wiki

* GSoC 2011 ideas SaX 3, by Michal Hrueck on his blog, 2011-02-24

* Introducing SaX3 as a GSoC Project, stated by Manu Gupta (2011-03-31 03:51:36 GMT) on the opensuse-project mailinglist.

I wish the participants in that project and all other openSUSE/Google Summer of Code projects for 2001 to have a lot of fun and (being not only altruistic ) a lot of success, too.

Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

Default Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Code 201

Now, this would be a worthwhile project, it would be nice to see this succeed.

Thumbs up Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Code 201

Quote Originally Posted by pistazienfresser View Post
    SaX3 - A project in the Google Summer of Code 2001 (GSoC 2011)

SaX3 is planned to be a user interface and tool for configuring the settings for monitor and graphic card, keyboards, mouse and touch-pad.

In my opinion in the field of configuring the graphic system this tool is most wanted.
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)
    YEESSSSSS!!!!!!
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Default Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Code 201

There is no question that a graphical configuration tool will be of great benefit to those users whose display devices require manual setup. (I voted for it in openFATE). It will be interesting to see what display parameters it will assist with, as some graphics drivers (usually proprietary) provide more options than others. I'll be following this closely.

Blog Entries

Xorg is hotplugable and uses evdev which is part of the kernel glue code; Glue code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Using a gui tool could introduce instability since it'd be directly impacting the kernel, as I understand it so far.

@Jonathan: We still have the ability to add entries to the config files within /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, so any graphical configuration tool is only a GUI means to editing these files. BTW, evdev is for input devices, not display devices which is what is being proposed here AFAIU.

Default Re : Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of Cod

This is great news! We really miss the sax2 tool and hopefully, someone suggested it in GSOC. This is great for the distro.

8. Default Re: Re : Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of

Brilliant!
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

Default Re: Re : Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of

This is indeed great news! I made a request for a Sax3 when Sax2 was deprecated.
    If this gets put into 11.5 or 12.0 whichever they're going to use I'll be more than happy to test it, starting from M1. Sax was, is, will be, one of if not the most noob friendly things we have here at Opensuse.
    Also, as someone who has hacked his xorg.conf.d let me join the chorus in saying"it ain't easy!!!"
    Challenge your preconceptions, or they will challenge you.
    My 32 bit: E Machines T3103| VIA On board graphics|512MB RAM
    My 64 bit: Gateway 5670| Nvidia GeForce GT610 |CPU AMD Phenom 8400|4G RAM

Default Re: Re : Re: SaX3 replacing SaX2 for newer/future graphic settings ? | openSUSE and Google Summer of

A new sax would be great since I believe that is what I need to get my trackpad to act correctly. All I ever wanted was to turn off tap click, or have the pad shut off while typing... no solution has been found.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast