Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

Blog Entries

Question openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

So, I did get the openSUSE 11.4 RC1 DVD installed successfully and I am using it to post this message. I had no problems during the Install.

1. I did notice that I did not get a picture of a SuSE Lizard during any opeSUSE startup, just the progress bar, before you login to openSUSE.
    2. The Partitioner Context menus for editing of a selected partition still do not work. If you select an entire hard drive from the tree on the left, the partition edit commands work at the bottom of the right screen. The problem is the same during the install or after openSUSE 11.4 is installed.

Over all , all seems good, just too bad we lost the SuSE Lizard this time around.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Thumbs down Re: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So, I did get the openSUSE 11.4 RC1 DVD installed successfully and I am using it to post this message. I had no problems during the Install.
    Great! Unfortunately, I did not have similar success. After struggling with increasingly long download times (yes, the estimated time actually increased during the download), I finally got a copy of the -DVD install. Burned, MD5-checked OK, and boot/Media check also OK.

1. I did notice that I did not get a picture of a SuSE Lizard during any opeSUSE startup, just the progress bar, before you login to openSUSE.
    Unfortunately, did not get far enough to boot the installed openSUSE.

2. The Partitioner Context menus for editing of a selected partition still do not work. If you select an entire hard drive from the tree on the left, the partition edit commands work at the bottom of the right screen. The problem is the same during the install or after openSUSE 11.4 is installed.
    The partitioner use during the install was almost unusable. After three attempts, each attempt with multiple sub-attempts at editing, I was able to get the configuration desired for the install. (NOTE: the same configuration procedures used for the last 11.3 and the 11.4 Milestone installs).

When the installer actually started, errors (-3003) kicked out for the Windows/7 partitions. At this point, I stopped, rather than risk the possibility of having to recover Windows.

I went back to the 11.4 Milestone 5 DVD, and checked the partition editor. It was functioning correctly (as was 11.4 and prior versions). It seems that something that was working is now not working. Of course, I did not not have a 11.4 Milestone 6 DVD to compare, but that is another problem.

Over all , all seems good, just too bad we lost the SuSE Lizard this time around.
    It seems to me that more than a friendly graphic was lost in the shuffle. I had updated an 11.4 MS6 to RC1 via YAST with success, although still experiencing the annoying "libxml2" dependencies, but that also is another problem. I may try an 11.4 RC1 liveCD next, but frankly, the DVD was quite a disappointment.

I am not overly concerned, as I believe that the 2.6.38 kernel did not make the -RC1 release (although I cannot be certain of such).
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE 12.3 x64, KDE 4.12.4, Ubuntu 12.04LTS+10.04.3 LTS, Windows 7

Lap: openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.12.4, Windows/XP/SP3 guest and a Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS boarder

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

SeanMc98 - I want to hug you.

I thought it was just me! I had d/l the dvd iso at work and burnt a DVD at home from the image. The first time I tried to install I had an error on install saying that it was unable to mount one of my windows partitions (NTFS formatted). I carried on and it was a failed install. I thought that it must have been down to a bad dvd burn and tried again. Same result.

So in the need I used the M6 cd and then updated using the RC1 dvd image. That worked fine.

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

Yup just confirmed it trying out RC1 32-bit KDE Live CD in VirtualBox. I hope Geeko comes back. I like seeing Geeko at the boot splash!
    Mageia 2 x86_64 - KDE 4.8.5
    Mageia Cauldron x86_64 - KDE 4.10 beta1

Where are you guys downloading the DVD from? Mine just stops at 360mb? And then doesn't move further.

Quote Originally Posted by rash_m View Post
    Where are you guys downloading the DVD from? Mine just stops at 360mb? And then doesn't move further.
    Downloading mine off here:
    Index of /opensuse/distribution/11.4-RC1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    Great! Unfortunately, I did not have similar success. After struggling with increasingly long download times (yes, the estimated time actually increased during the download), I finally got a copy of the -DVD install. Burned, MD5-checked OK, and boot/Media check also OK.
    I think the DVD download took 13 minutes from my Internet connection. Maybe I stole all the and width.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    Unfortunately, did not get far enough to boot the installed openSUSE.
    I assume this was on the Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD in your sig ??

The partitioner worked for me. I did not try to change partitions, I simply went to the 'edit' and used the tree on the left and it functioned fine in allowing a custom setup.

I did have some sound hiccups, but I have not looked at this since last night. My PC has 2 sound devices, which added a layer of complexity. I did get sound working after about 10 minutes or so of effort (which is rather long for me) but I'm not totally happy with the sound setup. Things have changed in sound in openSUSE and I've fallen behind in the necessary techniques. I'm running a high fever and have a bad cough / cold which does not help, so I have not looked at my 11.4 RC1 sandbox PC since last night (32-bit althon-1100 w/1GB RAM, nVidia FX5200, LXDE desktop with 11.4 RC1). I did install latest nVidia proprietary driver for this hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I think the DVD download took 13 minutes from my Internet connection. Maybe I stole all the and width.
    Wow thats fast compared to mine - taking over 3 hours

Blog Entries

Smile Re: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

Well, to add to my installation info:

1. It took over an hour to download the DVD from Time Waner Road Runner Cable.
    2. The First DVD that I burnt was bad for some reason and gave me an error halfway through the install with a bad mount.
    3. I burnt a new DVD on a different DVD burner. The MD5 checksum was correct and the check Media request came back good and off course, the second installation to the very same computer worked OK. So, the first DVD I made was bad.
    4. I made a bug report on the Partitioner problem, but not on the missing lizard.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Installed from the live 64bit cd. Did a new install over the M6 stuff - ie. used the same partitioning. No problems. A dvd download normally takes at least 5 hours out here in the sticks.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast