Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

Default Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

I received a kernel update a few days ago. When I try to boot with kernel 2.6.37, I get a few errors saying that a volume couldn't be mounted and that /lib/modules/2.6.37-desktop/modules.dep couldn't be found. I'm then left with a minimal terminal prompt.

Is this a common problem? If not, I'll try to take a picture of the error so that you can see exactly what happened. I can still boot with kernel 2.6.34 like I could before the update.

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Default AW: Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

Are you trying to use kernel Linux 2.6.37 with openSUSE 11.3 or with the hole development version (openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 5 of 6 or factory or factory-tested)?

Where have you got the newest kernel from? I am now writing form an system with 2.6.37-desktop but it is the non-stable development version (factory-tested).

puzzled
    pistazienfresser

Default Re: AW: Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

Woah... how did that happen? You brought up an interesting point: I don't subscribe to unstable repositories. But my current kernel-desktop-base package seems to originate from the Tumbleweed repository at obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed, even though I don't recall subscribing to the rolling release repository. Other kernel-related packages still have 2.6.34.

I'll just downgrade kernel-desktop-base to the most recent available version (2.6.34) to fix this issue.

Default Re: Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

VirtualBox seems to be the culprit.

Disable the tumbleweed repo unless you wish to use it (BTW I use it on a test partition, but I updated four kernel related packages). Highlight the package(s) that updated and downgrade it to 2.6.34-0.7.1 with YaST (as shown in your picture) using the radio button under versions.

I'm not subscribed to the tumbleweed repo, so I just reverted the kernel-desktop-base package to the suggested version. I'll reboot later today.

I hadn't seen the virtualbox pic when I posted - they crossed.

???
    I do not know anything about virtual box or visualization in general - but could you not use something (a kernel module) that begins with
    virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop
    and is *not* in the Rolling-Release-Repository (and is not made to work on the '.37 kernel as host-system)?
    See: software.opensuse.org: Search Results
    ???

puzzled
    pistazienfresser

I found the open-source edition of VirtualBox in the regular openSUSE repositories, so I no longer need the tumbleweed version of VirtualBox. Dependency conflict solved.

Quote Originally Posted by pdedecker View Post
    I found the open-source edition of VirtualBox in the regular openSUSE repositories, so I no longer need the tumbleweed version of VirtualBox. Dependency conflict solved.
    Sounds good.

But maybe you want to prevent something like this in the future, too?
    Are you sure that you do not use anything else form Tumbleweed? (-> Item-by-item downgrade or all-in-one repository switch?)
    Did you deactivate the Tumbleweed repository?

Have a lot of luck!
    pistazienfresser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast