Login page returns to "page not found"

After successfully logging in,

The User is not returned to the page from which the “Log In” link is clicked.

Sorry, at the moment I don’t have an HTTP debugger running that would return exactly what URL is being attempted, if you need that post in this thread and I’ll follow up when I can.

Running:
OpenSuSE 11.3
Firefox 3.6.13
Possibly relevant FF extensions: Ad Blocker 1.3.3, FoxyProxy Standard(disabled), OpenSuSE Firefox Extensions 1.0.1, HTTPS-Everywhere 0.9.2

If no one else is experiencing this problem, I wonder if the HTTPS-Everywhere plugin is causing a problem (which raises the additional question why the Forums doesn’t support HTTPS which I’ll also raise in a separate Thread). For those not familiar with HTTPS-Everywhere, it’s a plugin from the EFF that configures FF to always test for and preferably connect using SSL even when not explicitly typed by the User.

Tony

tsu2 wrote:
> If no one else is experiencing this problem,

i’ve seen a variety of page landing problems associated with logging
in…but, i don’t understand it because it is not consistent…

for example: if while reading a post in Thunderbird (via nntp) i see a
post which i want to (say) report as spam, i click (in Tbird) to go to
that post and when it comes up in firefox the spam load and i have to
sign into the web site to report…but, when i do instead of being
returned to the spam i’m told that page doesn’t exist…but, if i
then go back to thunderbird and click on the link to the post again it
IS there on the web side and is served to me while signed in…

but, that does not always happen…

and, that is just one example of several different variations of
faulty page landing associated with logging in–for example, sometimes
i might be not logged in and looking at a spam (or any other post) on
the web site and when i log in i then land on the forums opening page,
instead of the spam…and, your example is similar but a little
different…

i suspect there is some inconsistency in the interaction of iChain,
VBullitin and which particular server/switch is in the loop where…

i wonder, if your example is always happening…still today?

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:43:04 +0530, DenverD
<DenverD@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> for example: if while reading a post in Thunderbird (via nntp) i see a
> post which i want to (say) report as spam, i click (in Tbird) to go to
> that post and when it comes up in firefox the spam load and i have to
> sign into the web site to report…but, when i do instead of being
> returned to the spam i’m told that page doesn’t exist…but, if i
> then go back to thunderbird and click on the link to the post again it
> IS there on the web side and is served to me while signed in…

perhaps it’s not really deleted, at least not immediately, but
‘unpublished’ or something? don’t use VB myself, but have seen similar
features in other content management systems.

phani.

phanisvara wrote:
> perhaps it’s not really deleted, at least not immediately, but
> ‘unpublished’ or something? don’t use VB myself, but have seen similar
> features in other content management systems.

yes, i understand…but i have seen exactly the same fault when
logging in after viewing non-spam post which were neither “not really
deleted” nor “unpublished” nor deleted while i was logging in…

one of the most important things i wrote was “i’ve seen a variety of
page landing problems . . . but, . . . it is not consistent”

DenverD

Indeed. Here also, even without nntp. Mainly associated with being taken from forum to novell login and back to forum. It results in landing on a dead-end, and loss of work-in-progress.

I experienced te seme problm the last few days. Not today, so maybe it is gone (let us wait and see).

First I thought it was only when I loged in from a thread and then could not automaticaly return to that thread. Then I loged in from the Forums home page and that worked (return to the home page). But yesterday that did even not function. I deleted all the cookies from the Forums and then got loged in, but I am not sure if it was that was due tothe deleted cookies. because of the vagueness of the bug.

hcvv wrote:
> so maybe it is gone (let us wait and see).

i doubt it…

it comes and goes and has for a long long time…
over a year…

as far as i remember it has persisted thought the last two upgrades of
VBulletin…

which is why i conclude the bug is in iChain or i don’t know…
maybe the dufangle has an intermittently bad connection to the
techofarkle exciter in the networks transferral modulator…

> because of the vagueness of the bug.

oh, maybe it should be logged with that other vague bug of the day
(wrongly owned .*authority files)

DenverD

Unfortunately NOT gone today. Just signed in from Home page using Firefox on 11.3 standard Gnome, and was returned to “page not found”.

Thanks consused for this “latest report”.

I will wait until I get one (I log only in once a day) and take a screen shot. Then I will try to draw the attention of Kim Groneman.

Just logged in without the reported problem, so believe it’s fixed.

Was able to get the improper URL to my problem, to my eye it probably was one of those instances where code to be executed for re-direction was instead mistakenly passed as the URL itself.

Tony

Hmmm. I’ve logged in several times today, but only had the problem once (the first and only). That proves nothing. :slight_smile:

Yesterday evening I clicked “Log out” from the home page, it asked for confirmation and then showed the “you are loged out” page.

A few minutes ago I used this page as a starter.
. loged in: page not found.
. used the “back” two times to get back to this pgae and tried again: page not found.
. left this window alone and started a new window with the home page, it shows a loged in home page!?!?
. I clicked “logout”, it asked for confirmation and I got the “you are loged out” page, there I clicked the “login again”.
. I got the loged in home page.
. I went to the other window and clicked the browser Reload, got this page in it’s loged in state.

Rereading the above sequence, it could be that while getting the “page not found”, it could be that I nevertheless am loged in. Next time I will start a new window and when it says that I am loged in will click through the forums and post to see if this is the case.

BTW the “page not found” is very, very basic. Just the plain ASCII text, no HTTP error. I did make a screen copy. Next time I will look what thecode is.

When I replied to this yesterday, I meant to add the following truism: “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence” (attributed to Carl Sagan). You just had one null result. :wink:

Problem is happening again today.
Logged in when I was viewing a post, this was the URL that was returned when the page couldn’t load properly

openSUSE: Login

Again, I suspect this looks like part of code that should have been executed rather than the URL that should have been served to me (just guessing, shouldn’t a cookie or something just be placed on my machine and only the destination URL be passed to me?).

Tony

Addendum to last post,
Bottom line is that the re-configuration yesterday seemed to solve all problems (although I didn’t fully test logging in from numerous locations) and implemented the consistent theme.

Today, the “blue on blue” problem has been fixed, but in all other cases like this “page not found” the problem has re-appeared. Whatever/whoever made changes immediately after I posted probably implemented a better solution than what exists now.

Tony

Update on this problem.

I think the generated code for returning to the previous page after a successful login is inserting an extra “forums” in the URL string.

Tony

BTW, the problem reappeared here once again today.

Today.
Tried to login from a thread with URL

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/452598-usb-connection-not-working-2.html#post2278314

and got the error. The URL of that page was:

http://forums.opensuse.org/login/icslogin.php?destination=/forums/showthread.php?t=452598&page=2

While the parameters like the thread and page number look OK the PHP script nevertheless gives the error.
It does give the error after the login becuae when I then use the same browser window to go to th home page, I am loged in. When I do go to the first URL above, I also am loged in and can post.

My conclusion: loging in is done, but the PHP script to return to the page has an error.

I PMed Kim Groneman to draw his attention to this thread and thus to the problem. But is may be monday before he reads it :wink: .

I expect we can cope until Kim is ready. BTW when I got it yesterday, I just bookmarked to home page and the login had been successful. :slight_smile: