Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

Default 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

I try to install mplayer-vaapi. Strace tells me mplayer tries to open /usr/lib/libXvBAW.so.1.

Unfortunately opensuse 11.3 doesn't contain this file but only the version in /usr/lib

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

I try to install mplayer-vaapi. Strace tells me mplayer tries to open /usr/lib/libXvBAW.so.1.

Unfortunately opensuse 11.3 doesn't contain this file but only the version in /usr/lib

Any ideas?
    So why do you need to install mplayer-vaapi? I show no such file when I search for mplayer and searching on vaapi finds some video accelerator. I have never needed such a thing to use mplayer. So again, what are you trying to do exactly?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

mplayer-vaapi is a variant of mplayer that decodes films on a radeon graphics card. Thus even a HD film can be watched without much cpu percentage and the resulting noise from the fan.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

Now there is no substitute for loading the best video driver for your video chipset and I do so for my nVIDIA video card. However, you don't need any special accelerated video player to view video content in openSUSE. You just need to make sure all of your multimedia files are properly updated from the Packman repository. If you are not sure, check the just released How To about the mmcheck script file here:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

I can view any and all content in full screen (Excluding Blue Ray movies or the older HDDVD Movies due to the copyright issues) including any standard DVD and even including viewing iTunes Movie Trailers seen here:

iTunes Movie Trailers

If you can not get an iTunes Movie Trailer to work on your PC, then you need to download and run the mmcheck script to find out just what is wrong.

Thank You,

Sorry, but it is my business what I install on my system So: How to get libXvBAW.so.1 for 64 bit?
    Anyway, it's supposed to be 64bit. So where's the library?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Now there is no substitute for loading the best video driver for your video chipset and I do so for my nVIDIA video card. However, you don't need any special accelerated video player to view video content in openSUSE.
    Actually, in my view you are both right ... For a moderately aged computer, jdmcdaniel3's view is accurate for all videos except those that are HD with high bit rate. HD videos with high bit rate (such as 1920x1080 @ 25 MB/sec) can not be played on a moderately aged PC without massive audio/video desyncronization, and video slow down.

To prove my point, jdmcdaniel3 take a look here: H.264 Demo Clips | H264info.com

Download the two "I Am Legend – 1080p Trailer" videos. Try to play them in Linux on an older PC.

I'll bet you a virtual beer that any older PC you may have will struggle with that video (if you have an older PC).

Now I can play them on my old 32-bit athlon-2800 with mplayer and vdpau (using a nVidia GeForce 8400GS graphic card with the proprietary nVidia driver) , ... but my older dual core P8400 Dell Studio 1537 with an ATI Radeon HD3450 with the proprietary ATI graphic driver in Linux struggles and has problems with the same video, even though it has SIGNIFICANTLY more CPU capability and what should be a faster graphic card. That is because with my athlon-2800 I am offloading the video processing from the CPU to the GPU. [Note in WinXP my Dell Studio 1537, with its superior ATI radeon driver, has NO PROBLEM with HD videos - the Linux driver simply is seriously lacking].

Hence IMHO juxal is also correct, if one can offload the decoding of the video from the CPU to the videocard GPU, then even an old PC can play the very high HD videos with a high bit rate. This is one reason why Linux nVidia users are so keen on using vdpau with mplayer, and are waiting patiently for vlc and xine to obtain same vdpau playback capability. Now one needs the proprietary nVidia driver to take advantage of Vdpau (note vdpau is called "pure video" in MS-Windows).

ATI graphic drivers in Linux have for the longest time lacked providing the capability to offload the decoding of the CPU to the videocard GPU. ATI cards have this capabilty in MS-Windows via AVIVO. But until recently there has been no Linux capability for ATI graphic cards similar to AVIVO. vaapi/xvba is a technology that Linux users hope will provide that CPU to GPU offload capability for ATI graphic cards. But other than see a few threads on this on openSUSE (asking for help) I have not read of anyone reporting success.

juxal, if you search on vaapi or xvba on our forum, you may find the threads I am refering to, such as: video players supporting vaapi/xvba for ATI cards ... but unfortunately, no real answers. Those who have solved this (if any) are not sharing yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juxal View Post
    Sorry, but it is my business what I install on my system So: How to get libXvBAW.so.1 for 64 bit?
    Anyway, it's supposed to be 64bit. So where's the library?
    Juxal, other than my knowing some very general theory (from a bit of reading) I do not have any specifics. Did you look here:
    software.opensuse.org: Search Results
    in this repository:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/hellgast/openSUSE_11.3/
    and try the package xvba-video-amd-0.7.7-1.1.x86_64.rpm .

Note again my knowledge is slim ... very slim ... and I am dearly hoping one of our ATI users share how to get this working for the rest of our forum to benefit.

Blog Entries

Cool Re: 64 bit version of libXvBAW.so.1?

So oldcpu, not sure how old a computer it takes. The slowest I can try it on is my two year Dell Laptop, a Latitude E6400 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.268 GHz Intel Mobile Processor. When running Windows XP, it barely can get out of its own way. It has Mobile 4 Integrated Graphics Controller. For Linux it is running at present, openSUSE 11.2, kernel 2.6.37-rc4, KDE 4.4.4 and I followed all of the recommendations per mmcheck. I tried mplayer and my favorite Kaffeine/KDE3, which allows me to take the picture full screen and for both movies it played just fine, as did my top computer using a nVIDIA graphics controller, which was no surprise.

So, I say bolderdash to need a better player or an addon to your video player if you followed ALL suggestions as per mmcheck, you can play most any video format. Now I must admit that if you are hobbled with a AMD video card, I can't vouch for how well it will work, but surely it would be better than my Dell Laptop with its "unknown" 3D graphics driver? Why not show yourself it can really make a difference. Run mmcheck, update ALL of your multimedia files and then play that video on your lowest PC and see what happens. And, if you think the newer kernel gives me an advantage, then update your kernel, just as I have done. Ask me how!

As you know, I am honest as the day is long and if I am able to run these HIGH RESOLUTION movies on my slow, poor video laptop after following the mmcheck recommendations, I win, right? Now here is the type of beer I like. There are others that will do, but when drinking Virtual beer, why not go for the best. That is what I always say.

Disclaimer: I, nor any of my family work for Guinness and we always drink responsibly, and so should you. It is also best to not message in the forum while drinking beer. Don't ask me how I know that.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

So oldcpu, not sure how old a computer it takes. The slowest I can try it on is my two year Dell Laptop, a Latitude E6400 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.268 GHz Intel Mobile Processor. .... It has Mobile 4 Integrated Graphics Controller.... I tried mplayer and my favorite Kaffeine/KDE3, which allows me to take the picture full screen and for both movies it played just fine, as did my top computer using a nVIDIA graphics controller, which was no surprise.
    First, I should say nice hardware and its GREAT to read of an Intel graphics processor success story.

I would need more detail on your Dell's "Mobile 4 Integrated Graphics Controller", but my guess is the Intel open source driver is likely offloading the decoding of the video from the CPU to the GPU, else your E6400 would be struggling. I tried finding your controller here: Intel GMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but I would need more detail to specifically point to which one it is, but please look at that chart. Look at the 3 columns on the right called "Hardware Acceleration". Those columns are to tell us the capability of the Intel device to offload the processing of the CPU to the GPU (with the appropriate driver).

The h264 video examples I gave are NOT the most difficult HD videos to play. For example my Canon HF S10 records videos with a higher bit rate and a higher (slightly) resolution. Reference the Canon HF S10 I have, here is a sample of the resolution / bit-rate, but from a different Canon : http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/video/.../262/ez041.mts A caution, thats a large 30MB file, from a Japanese web site reviewing the camera so download may be slow. Also, the bit rate on that is still not the highest the camera can produce (at least not with that example scene).

Here is with NO vdpau - cpu is higher

Here is with vdpau - cpu load is lighter

But the example is not the best. Its on my Corei7, which does not need CPU to GPU off loading.

This weekend, I'll upload a raw video from my Canon so you can download (if you wish) so as to make my point better. And I run an example on my 32-bit athlon-2800 (which pales in comparison to the 'power' of your slowest PC) ...

Now reference the example I provided, I can play that back on my Dell Studio 1537 with a P8400 Dual Core CPU and an ATI radeon HD3450 graphics (proprietary ATI driver) but the video is disproportionally slow. Unfortunately one can not tell from that nature scene how badly the video lags the audio when played back without the video decoding being offloaded from CPU to GPU.

So, I say bolderdash to need a better player or an addon to your video player if you followed ALL suggestions as per mmcheck,
    jdmcdaniel3, your script is wonderful, and I am most gratelful for the help you have provided others.

... but I have to say I've being doing the things in your script for years. This IS hardware, and fortunate for you, your hardware already offloads the decoding from CPU to GPU and has an adequate driver, or your CPU is so fast it does not need the offloading.

Do you NOT have a PC with nVidia or ATI graphics ? Because if you do, I am confident I can provide you with some suggestsions for a test to make my point.

Now I must admit that if you are hobbled with a AMD video card, I can't vouch for how well it will work, but surely it would be better than my Dell Laptop with its "unknown" 3D graphics driver?
    Ahh ... well, ... no, ... ... and that is what the OP is trying to sort. They want this CPU to GPU working with their ATI card.

Why not show yourself it can really make a difference. Run mmcheck, update ALL of your multimedia files and then play that video on your lowest PC and see what happens.
    ... as noted, I've been doing the sort of things that mmcheck proposes for years. It does NOT make a difference.

I have to rush to work, but I tell you what, I'll do screen prints of top with my PC (athlon-2800 with nVidia 8400GS) playing a HD video with vdpau functionality (offloading decode of video from CPU to GPU) with mplayer, and I'll do the same with vdpau switched OFF in mplayer. And you will either be surprised, or you simply will not believe me having done this correctly when I show you the difference in CPU overhead.

And, if you think the newer kernel gives me an advantage, then update your kernel, just as I have done. Ask me how!
    lol ! Thanks for the suggestion. It is NOT kernel difference, unless the Kernel gives your Intel hardware graphic driver better functionality (such as the capability to offload the video decoding from CPU to GPU).

As you know, I am honest as the day is long and if I am able to run these HIGH RESOLUTION movies on my slow, poor video laptop after following the mmcheck recommendations, I win, right?
    Well, no, ... but I'll send the virtual beer anyway, because I think our chat here will be educational to others.

Disclaimer: I do like Guinessess but it is not my like of Guiness that is having me send a virtual beer back, but rather its your post that motivated me.

... as an aside, I think if you surf the web on this and look for keywords such as "vdpau", "pure video" , and "avivo" you will understand better what the user's request in this thread is all about. ... all the best and hope we can continue a technical thread on this.

Blog Entries

....... as did my top computer using a nVIDIA graphics controller, which was no surprise.
    Later today, or this weekend, I'll create a test for you to run on any PC with nVidia graphic hardware that supports Pure Video (called vdpau in Linux) with two different terminal commands to run the application mplayer against the HD videos I asked you to examine. One command will use mplayer with vdpau switched ON, and the other command will use mplayer with vdpau switched OFF. You should see a signficant difference in CPU load.

This demo I plan to provide will only work with nVidia proprietary graphic driver installed, but I assume you do have it installed.

More to come later today or this weekend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast