Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek font

Default Greek font

What font is necessary to read the Greek in the new forum layout? I went to YaST and downloaded the Greek fonts available there but the headings are still not readable.

Default Απ: Greek font

O do not understand this either. When I choose Greek in the language chooser (lower/right) it is readable. This means that fonts are available. But then the French and Spanish parts are lousy.

There is still something rotten in the product. Earlier we complained that the product said in its HTTP protocol that the characters encodings were one of the ISO-8859 series (dependant of the langiage chosen) where in fact they were UTF-8 encoded Unicode (in most cases, we did not prove that for every single page, etc).
    Now it tells the browser that the home page of these Forums is UTF-8, but it still sends characters from some ISO-8859 sets (and it changes sets when another language is chosen) that can not be interpreted correct as UTF-8.

BUT, the page where I am typing this has Charset=ISO-8859-1. Thus the Forums is inconsistent!

. The forums software should use only Unicode encoded with UTF-8 and tell this correct in it's HTTP protocol.
    . The forums should NOT change to another encoding when another language is chosen (this is of course automatic the case when the above rule is followed). Changing the language should only influence the language in headers, menu's, etc. And when the Unicode characters are used for tthese language, all will be perfect.

It is a pity that in a world where open software (like openSUSE) uses Unicode and the UTF-8 encoding of it throughout, our Forums still is a mess in this subject.
    Henk van Velden

Default Απ: Greek font

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    What font is necessary to read the Greek in the new forum layout? I went to YaST and downloaded the Greek fonts available there but the headings are still not readable.

Sorry for this rude responce but everyone who does not know Greek, can not read Greek. So headings are not readable.
    and download greek fonts what you need these fonts if you don' t know GREEK Language

read this Άσπρη πέτρα ξέξασπρη και από τον ήλιο ξεξασπρότερη
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE 12,3||x86_64||KDE 4.10.5||AMD PHENOM II X3||AMD RADEON 6990.
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Greek font

@stamostolias. Did you realy try to read the Greek parts of the home page (or even your post on tthis page) with the language selector on another then Greek (Elliniko)?

I hope the other Greek members of these Forums think it is worthwhile to repair their language part (another Grreek speaking person did complain shortly after the Greel Forums went onine thus not everybody is f your opinion).

Because this is what I see:
    Henk van Velden

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Greek font

All people have not the same opinions. But all members including me of Greek subforum do their best to repair our language part.

I hope the other Greek members of these Forums think it is worthwhile to repair their language part (another Grreek speaking person did complain shortly after the Greel Forums went onine thus not everybody is f your opinion).
    Who is that man who complain about Greek language???
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Greek font

Because this is what I see:
    Anyone who wants to read or write GREEK the only thing must do is to change the settings on his personal opensuse site and set the main language into greek

That is a problem.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Greek font

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Anyone who wants to read or write GREEK the only thing must do is to change the settings on his personal opensuse site and set the main language into greek

That is a problem.
    The whole thread is about the fact that that is nonsense. Setting the forums to Greek should only change the headings, menus and all the explaining texts in the forums. There is no need whatsoever to change the coding of characters. All characters have their own code in Unicode.

I can see the Russian, Japanese, and all the diacriticals that are used in French, Spanish and Hungarian correct. Only the Greek texts are a mess. And believe me, I may be not as good in Greek as you, but I can discern a Greek text from the characters I showed you.

It seems that I have to repeat my question: did you look at the home page of the forum and at your own post above with the language selector on another then Greek? As long as you did not, please refrain from posting further in this thread because that is the reason for this thread.
    Henk van Velden

Wasn't intending to create a storm! When I go onto the Greek Ambassadors site, all the Greek characters appear as they should in my browser and I have no trouble reading the Greek. I was wondering whether I had missed something that I needed to do to be able to read the Greek characters on the forum.

Well John, it was one of the first things I saw looking at the new home page. Of course the new home page is about lay-out and not about fixing bugs and thus I did not become sarcastic asking: and what about our Greek brethren?

But you started it and that was a signal for me that I am not the only one. I think it is not very nice to Greek people that when they come to our forum's home page for the first time, they see Russian, Japanese and all others, but Greek ........
    Henk van Velden

All sorts of scripts in one line: Franais, Espaol, Ελληνικό, Русский, हिन्दी, اردو, you want more?

Now look at them choosing several "Language" possibilities from the most lower right button of this page.
    I am going to this after I post this one.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast