Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A free LTS version of openSUSE would top my Linux wish list.

Blog Entries

Wink A free LTS version of openSUSE would top my Linux wish list.

I had occasion to install Centos 5. The installer falls a long way behind openSUSE's, by a country mile. The GUI configurators are inferior to openSUSE's Yast, by a long way inferior.

However, the stability of Centos is really nice to encounter, the apps all work, that's the Centos raison d'etre.

We don't get that with any release of openSUSE. OpenSUSE is always cutting-edge stuff, consequently always buggy, and that's a product of the short release cycle. That's Novell's policy and I have no problem with it, none at all.

But I do sometimes yearn for an OS where the apps just work. In particular I use a lot the interoperability apps where windows machines talk with Linux machines. It bugs me that things like VMware, RDP, VNC don't work easily (or at all) in opeSUSE, Knetworkmanager is still a bit iffy too. A few other things.

Oh well, can't have everything. OpenSUSE is still streets ahead of the other short-cycle leaders like Ubuntu and Fedora. I won't be changing my everyday OS from openSUSE because I can sidestep most bugs and I like the other very superior facets of openSUSE.

But wouldn't it be good if there was a free LTS version of openSUSE? That would be number one in my Linux wish list.
    Last edited by swerdna; 01-Jan-2011 at 16:11.

Default Re: A free LTS version of openSUSE would top my Linux wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    But wouldn't it be good if there was a free LTS version of openSUSE? That would be number one in my Linux wish list.
    The Evergreen project is going in that direction. For now, it looks like they're just planning to extend 11.1 support to coincide with the release of 11.4.

Any involvement in EVERGREEN (long term openSUSE support) project ?

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-p.../msg00223.html

It is number one on my Linux wish list as well. It would be great for my servers.
    Mageia 2 x86_64 - KDE 4.8.5
    Mageia Cauldron x86_64 - KDE 4.10 beta1

Last I have read official distro notes openSUSE is not cutting edge as they point to Fedora for such a distro . I know what You mean, however, and I know this is why we are using CentOS or Ubuntu server or Debian at work. It would be great to see openSUSE LTS but I don't think there is high demand for this.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg
    Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850 | 4GB RAM
    Lap: openSUSE 12.3 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE | Intel GMA 4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    The Evergreen project is going in that direction. For now, it looks like they're just planning to extend 11.1 support to coincide with the release of 11.4.

Any involvement in EVERGREEN (long term openSUSE support) project ?

[opensuse-project] Project "evergreen" (aka LTS)
    Not so good if it does not progress to a Desktop version. Very interesting though, and I think I will subscribe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Last I have read official distro notes openSUSE is not cutting edge as they point to Fedora for such a distro
    A question of degree, a semanic issue IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    I know what You mean, however, and I know this is why we are using CentOS or Ubuntu server or Debian at work. It would be great to see openSUSE LTS but I don't think there is high demand for this
    Yes indeed, although I don't know why Ubuntu is included in that trio. Ubuntu is just as short-lived as openSUSE and from what I hear, Ubuntu is just as buggy as openSUSE (for the same reason I suppose).

Yes indeed, although I don't know why Ubuntu is included in that trio. Ubuntu is just as short-lived as openSUSE and from what I hear, Ubuntu is just as buggy as openSUSE (for the same reason I suppose).
    I assume glistwan is referring to the Ubuntu Server 1004LTS Edition (or one of its earlier equivalents) - with 5-year lifecycle.

Continuing deano_ferrari's post for those who are unfamilar with Ubuntu releases Ubuntu 6.06 (Released June 2006) is still supported for servers only until June this year. 8.04 (Released in April 2008) and 10.04 (Released April 2010) is supported for Desktops and Servers. 8.04 Server Edition is supported until 2013 while 10.04 server edition is supported until 2015. 8.04 Desktop edition is supported until April this year while 10.04 Desktop edition is supported until April 2013. A new Ubuntu LTS release comes out every two years.
    Mageia 2 x86_64 - KDE 4.8.5
    Mageia Cauldron x86_64 - KDE 4.10 beta1

Ubuntu also have LTS for desktops as like server edition.
    Actually to me, LTS mostly preferred for servers. But the feeling of openSUSE is like, it is just focusing on desktop environments.
    That will be good, if we have a LTS version of openSUSE designed for both desktop and servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/

EDIT: A bit late in writing, ah7013 is right.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I assume glistwan is referring to the Ubuntu Server 1004LTS Edition (or one of its earlier equivalents) - with 5-year lifecycle.
    Right on the spot. This is what I was referring to.
    @swerdna
    Don't ask me why some of the servers where already installed once I got the job
    Best regards,
    Greg
    Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850 | 4GB RAM
    Lap: openSUSE 12.3 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE | Intel GMA 4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast