A free LTS version of openSUSE would top my Linux wish list.

I had occasion to install Centos 5. The installer falls a long way behind openSUSE’s, by a country mile. The GUI configurators are inferior to openSUSE’s Yast, by a long way inferior.

However, the stability of Centos is really nice to encounter, the apps all work, that’s the Centos raison d’etre.

We don’t get that with any release of openSUSE. OpenSUSE is always cutting-edge stuff, consequently always buggy, and that’s a product of the short release cycle. That’s Novell’s policy and I have no problem with it, none at all.

But I do sometimes yearn for an OS where the apps just work. In particular I use a lot the interoperability apps where windows machines talk with Linux machines. It bugs me that things like VMware, RDP, VNC don’t work easily (or at all) in opeSUSE, Knetworkmanager is still a bit iffy too. A few other things.

Oh well, can’t have everything. OpenSUSE is still streets ahead of the other short-cycle leaders like Ubuntu and Fedora. I won’t be changing my everyday OS from openSUSE because I can sidestep most bugs and I like the other very superior facets of openSUSE.

But wouldn’t it be good if there was a free LTS version of openSUSE? That would be number one in my Linux wish list.

The Evergreen project is going in that direction. For now, it looks like they’re just planning to extend 11.1 support to coincide with the release of 11.4.

Any involvement in EVERGREEN (long term openSUSE support) project ?

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2010-12/msg00223.html

It is number one on my Linux wish list as well. It would be great for my servers.

Last I have read official distro notes openSUSE is not cutting edge as they point to Fedora for such a distro :P. I know what You mean, however, and I know this is why we are using CentOS or Ubuntu server or Debian at work. It would be great to see openSUSE LTS but I don’t think there is high demand for this.

Best regards,
Greg

Not so good if it does not progress to a Desktop version. Very interesting though, and I think I will subscribe.

A question of degree, a semanic issue IMO.

Yes indeed, although I don’t know why Ubuntu is included in that trio. Ubuntu is just as short-lived as openSUSE and from what I hear, Ubuntu is just as buggy as openSUSE (for the same reason I suppose).

Yes indeed, although I don’t know why Ubuntu is included in that trio. Ubuntu is just as short-lived as openSUSE and from what I hear, Ubuntu is just as buggy as openSUSE (for the same reason I suppose).

I assume glistwan is referring to the Ubuntu Server 1004LTS Edition (or one of its earlier equivalents) - with 5-year lifecycle.

Continuing deano_ferrari’s post for those who are unfamilar with Ubuntu releases Ubuntu 6.06 (Released June 2006) is still supported for servers only until June this year. 8.04 (Released in April 2008) and 10.04 (Released April 2010) is supported for Desktops and Servers. 8.04 Server Edition is supported until 2013 while 10.04 server edition is supported until 2015. 8.04 Desktop edition is supported until April this year while 10.04 Desktop edition is supported until April 2013. A new Ubuntu LTS release comes out every two years.

Ubuntu also have LTS for desktops as like server edition.
Actually to me, LTS mostly preferred for servers. But the feeling of openSUSE is like, it is just focusing on desktop environments.
That will be good, if we have a LTS version of openSUSE designed for both desktop and servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

EDIT: A bit late in writing, ah7013 is right.

Right on the spot. This is what I was referring to.
@swerdna
Don’t ask me why :slight_smile: some of the servers where already installed once I got the job :stuck_out_tongue:

That went straight past me, thanks.

It would be good to have such an arrangement for openSUSE, or even a significantly lesser arrangement.

I hope the openSUSE Evergreen project accomplishes something similar to this.

[quote="“swerdna,post:5,topic:60333”]

Not so good if it does not progress to a Desktop version. Very interesting though, and I think I will subscribe.[/QUOTE]

I’m also hoping it (EVERGREEN) progresses to a Desktop version. I confess my interest (for a desktop version) is also selfish as I have 11.1 (with its 2.6.27 kernel) running very nicely on an old laptop PC (video link)](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfnAPDt_bn0), where unfortunately the 2.6.28 and newer kernels break the Intel driver functionality on this laptop (2nd video link)](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3zBGo2QBzI). Hence I plan to stay with openSUSE-11.1 and I selfishly would like to see longer support for 11.1.

Right now the EVERGREEN project is still very much in its infancy, and from what I can see from the mailing list we are still trying to sort the support infrastructure that is essential. One of the main things on the list now is to ensure we have a repository for OSS ,Non-OSS, Update and Source (and maybe debug) when 11.1 is discontinued (and according to previous announcements, the last day of support for 11.1 was a couple of days ago).

I provided some suggestions on the EVERGREEN mailing list which may or may not be helpful, in terms of how we might go about getting a repository setup. I’ve got my fingers crossed here, and if EVERGREEN is successful then IMHO it will be a substantial feature increase in openSUSE Linux.

On 2011-01-02 08:36, mmarif4u wrote:
>
> Ubuntu also have LTS for desktops as like server edition.
> Actually to me, LTS mostly preferred for servers. But the feeling of
> openSUSE is like, it is just focusing on desktop environments.

Which is not true. Many people use, or want to use, openSUSE on servers,
but many of those don’t because it is too short lived and have to turn to
some other distro instead.

I know of people that were using openSUSE, on servers and workstations, and
dropped it when Novell switched to the 18 month cycle. SLES wasn’t an
option, so they went to debian or whatever.

(consider that if you have a room full of desktops, having to test
and upgrade every year is a hassle. LTS is also needed on desktops)

People do want it. It is Novell who doesn’t want it, probably because of
fear it would eat on their SLS/SLED market. IMO. Instead, they are turning
those users to other distros with an LTS version, which means that when
those users install an enterprise version it will not be SLES either: they
will use that version most similar to what they currently use.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

That’s why i said, the feel is like that and now the 18 months cycle shows that. I agree here, short term doesn’t help here, i myself installed Ubuntu LTS on two dedicated servers because of the long term support and updates. Even i am a die hard user of openSUSE. Most of the people will move to new release on desktop, but on server side i am pretty sure, they will not be happy to upgrade to latest release every 18 months. I support this plan to have LTS on both desktop and server as well. May be have LTS after 1 or 2 years, i guess most of openSUSE users will not mind that. :slight_smile:

That will be good, if we have a LTS version of openSUSE designed for both desktop and servers.

Isn’t version 11.1 still supported? I am not sure I get the point of this thread…Also it seems like the common theme of this forum is GUI/DE progression, everyone seems to always want the latest version.

Support for 11.1 ended on Friday. LTS has been discussed here several times before, and a lot of people have shown interest. Lacking it is a factor keeping some people away from oS.

So do one release a year instead of two…this topic is like TV - simply something to talk about.

Just chatting about something that’s important to some of us :slight_smile:

Good that it’s in the chit-chat forum LOL

BTW robin_listas & mmarif4u: it’s an 8-month cycle, not 18 (or did I miss something).

I’d like to see an LTS version of openSUSE as well. YTLYK