mysql wont start on xampp

I’ve just executed /opt/lampp/lampp security and restarted lampp, now it shows as deactivated in status when I browse to http://localhost

The default username lampp doesn’t work with my new passwords, phpAdmin doesn’t let me log in… everything.

No idea what’s going on.

Looks like mysql does not run. Check Yast - System - Runlevel editor, Activate if needed.

BTW, how did you install LAMP? According to the path to it, you used an external package. Most people simply install through Yast, that way packages would never end up in /opt

tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.3a.tar.gz -C /opt
Should be alright though? You describe it like it shouldn’t go into /opt

Mysql fails to start through yast run level editor. Error is /etc/init.d/mysql start returned 1 (unspecified error):

My guess is that it doesn’t have permission to run?

payam@win7:/etc/init.d> sudo ./mysql restart
root’s password:
Restarting service MySQL
Shutting down service MySQL done
Starting service MySQL warning: /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock didn’t appear within 30 seconds
chmod: cannot access `/var/run/mysql/mysqld.pid’: No such file or directory
payam@win7:/etc/init.d>

Well I just rm -rf /opt and installed LAMP through yast and the mysql daemon still doesn’t run… and now neither does apache2.

(also, why can’t I edit my posts?)

You can edit your posts within a time window of 10 minutes.

Installing/configuration attempts the xampp packages may very well have broken your install. I cannot see that. Simply removing /opt should not be done either. Specially since you ran some security script/program. Mysql not starting is no good.

If this is not a production environment, which I thoroughly hope, reinstall. Always first check for openSUSE packages.

My advice: reinstall openSUSE. Then install the Lamp pattern through the software installer. phpMyAdmin can be found through software.opensuse.org: Search Results . Activate mysql, apache2 in the runlevel editor, set a root password in mysql, create an admin user for phpMyAdmin, done.
Extra tips: configure the webroot and mysql database to be out of the root filesystem, i.e. on an other partition.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:06:02 +0530, spyazdani <spyazdani@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Well I just rm -rf /opt and installed LAMP through yast and the mysql
> daemon still doesn’t run… and now neither does apache2.

how did you start mysql after reinstalling via yast? by default, it doesn’t start automatically. i use “rcmysql start” for this, or start it via runlevel editor if you want it always.

apache2 needs to be started in the same way (rcapache2 start or runlevel), and configured (/etc/apache2/httpd.conf and, depending on what you’re doing, other files in subdir.s thereunder).

phani.

It’s a test lab, so I don’t mind reinstalling and starting again. A bit of a pain, but I can live with that.

Thanks for the link and the advice.

Through runlevel editor. Both apache2 and mysql failed with some error I cant remember anymore.

I’ve reinstalled the external package again back into /opt, and it appears to be working again. How do you remove the LAMP install that I installed through yast? it doesn’t allow me to uncheck the box :S
If I majorly stuff this up, then I’ll reinstall openSUSE. I’ve still got some life left in me before I give in.